All reviewsbreakfast buffettour groupcar parkcomfortable bedper daynice roomhotel restaurantspeights brewerynew zealandeasy walkfree wifistayed for one nightgreat place to stayrailway stationsouth islandvalet parkingcentral city
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a nice hotel. The staff are friendly and the rooms are very good. As a corporate traveller I have stayed here several times in the past and always experienced great service. The one thing I would like to say is that the beds are too soft for my liking and I think it is because the mattresses need replacing. I have experienced soft beds in every room I have stayed in, in this hotel. This can make longer stays uncomfortable if you require a decent nights sleep. However, they do have a good range of pillows.

Room Tip: Don't get a room which is adjacent to the lifts.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for continuing to stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you had had another enjoyable stay although it was not so great to hear that the beds are not to your satisfaction. We regularly get very favourable comments about the comfort of our beds, helped by our fantastic Goose feather bed toppers. If you advise us on booking or if you would like to email me directly (adrian.clifton@scenichotels.co.nz) I can try and ensure that a firmer option is provided for you for your future visits.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross in the near future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

First time stay due to sister hotel - our usual choice- being full. Overnight stay. Concierge very accommodating from arrival to departure. Bathroom clean but in need of updating! Shower control kept moving! Noisy until 2am. Room service good. Ate in Port o Call - food good.

Room Tip: Furthest away from lifts, function rooms and casino
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for continuing to support Scenic Hotels.
I am glad that you had an enjoyable weekend although it seems we still have a couple of issues to work on. Being a city centre hotel we suffer a little from noise from outside the hotel. We do try and keep this under control and our night staff are instructed to take whatever action is necessary to try and keep this to a minimum.

Many thanks once again and we hope to see you back at the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross in the future.

with kind regards

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Having scoured the internet for accommodation in Dunedin ( hard to find anything above 4 star other than the Castle) I settled on the Scenic, as it did look the nicest out of a very small selection that is on offer in Dunedin.
Receptionist was lovely, efficient and quick.
Our room, a twin tower suit, was on the 6th floor facing the setting sun. This normally I wouldn't mention, however, it was February, the sun sets late in February, they had had a string of 25+ days. Our windows didn't open ! and the most ridiculous of all, NO air-conditioning ??? The second floor to our suit,did have a sliding door, however this was the lounge room and the bedrooms were down stairs. So the bedroom remained VERY stuffy and warm. They did bring up two fans, but this just blow the warm air around. As the room is also very narrow the whole atmosphere was somewhat claustrophobic.
After going out for a couple of hours sightseeing we were hopeful the temperature would have reduced, but no, worse. So I sent my husband down to enquire about a solution. The lady who's name escapes me ( so sorry ) was lovely and she up graded us to the Presidential suit. This was a much bigger room, well rooms actually and was on the 3rd floor on the other side of the building, so no setting sun issue to worry about. Still no air conditioning, however the windows opened !, which made for a lovely cool breeze. However this also at 2am let in alot of load yelling from the random pub/casino leavers ??
The food was lovely in the restaurant, the waitress's were very friendly and efficient.
The toiletries and towels were very nice!
To be fare, I think Dunedin itself needs a total upgrade, not just this hotels need to have air-conditioning. The city/town appears to have had NOTHING done to it since the early 80's which gives it a very run down sad look and feeling. Would I come to Dunedin again... probably not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the setting sun and on a lower level. These rooms are cooler on the odd hot day that Dunedin has and the windows open.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that you did not completely enjoy your stay in Dunedin. With the likes of Otago Peninsula with all it's wonderful scenery and wildlife, Dunedin's historical buildings like the magnificent Railway Station, two top class museums amongst many more attractions I would hope that there was something for everyone.
It seems you were here over a particularly hot period and I must apologise for the temperature in your room. However, I was very glad to read that our team had managed to find you suitable alternative accommodation in the hotel and it was particularly pleasing to read how friendly and helpful our team was. I will be sure to pass on your comments to them.
with kind regards

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I purchased a "pride of the south" package for $160 per night. This included a superior king room, breakfast and two tour tickets the Speights brewery. Very nice rooms, comfortable beds and great location. Bathroom was slightly dated but nothing wrong with it. Happy helpful staff. We did ask to receive the free paper in the morning unfortunately it didn't come. We also missed the fact that you must hang a sign on your door if you want the room serviced. Very happy with the package price and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: February 2013
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here on the Pride of the South package. We regularly update our packages and our aim is to have great value packages which will suit everyone - no matter why you are travelling to Dunedin.
You highlighted a couple of service issues. Please accept my apologies for this. I will work with our Front Office Manager to ensure our procedures are tightened up so that this does not happen again.
Thank you once again and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Have stayed here a couple of times now and we really enjoy it. Everything is clean and tidy and I have yet to find a more comfortable bed. Road noise is minimal and there is a decent selection of channels on the TV with the option of purchasing some movies. Mini bar is well stocked and of course if you are hungry you can just order room service or go downstairs to the restaurant. Because of it's location it's also easy to walk into town to find other eating options. Bathroom is well stocked with toiletries and my only gripe would be no type of extractor fan in the bathroom.

The buffet breakfast is very good with loads of options and it all tastes good. Some great deals to be had on their website where you can get breakfast,parking and accommodation for a good price.

The Casino is basically on site so going for a little flutter is also possible if you are so inclined and the food is also good in there.

We will in no doubt be back for a few nights in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your latest review of the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross. It is wonderful to see our guests return and I was very pleased to see that you had another enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time you stay in Dunedin.