I stayed at this hotel earlier this month for five nights on a business trip to Dunedin; I chose the hotel as I am a member of the Accor chain's loyalty programme. I had a pleasant room on the east side overlooking state highway one, which concerned me initially but I can honestly say I never heard the traffic (there did not seem to be much of it). In fact the outlook was more like towards the botanical gardens on the other side of the road.
The hotel is located towards the north of Dunedin and is about 2km from the main CBD (where I was working) so I had a pleasant walk there and back each day. There is a supermarket within about 300 metres if you head towards North-East Valley. The hotel is pretty much the first place you come to when driving south from Christchurch, on the right as you get on the flat after coming down from the motorway. Its location is great for the university (which is where I thought I was working, initially).
The room was an average hotel room, with two double beds, ranch-slider access to a patio, a small table with a couple of chairs and standard bathroom amenities with shower over the bath. The decor was a little tired but all-in-all adequate. The standard of cleanliness was excellent.
I dined in the restaurant several times for breakfast and dinner. The best way to describe the breakfast would be adequate, much the same as most hotel breakfast buffets I have experienced. The dinner menu I found was quite limited but enough choices for the four times I dined with the service friendly and casual.
The only complaint I have is the lamb shank I ordered was not warmed thoroughly, the inside was a little cool, I presume this was a reheating issue as the meat was cooked properly. I mentioned this to the waiter who was horrified and they notified the kitchen.
Did I enjoy my stay? Yes
Would I stay here again? Yes, in fact I would look forward to staying here again
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dunedin's Garden Hotel. 76-Rooms in relaxed garden setting. Adjacent to Dunedin Botanic Gardens; short stroll to Otago University, Stadium, Hospital, the city's dynamic shopping centre, and visitor attractions. Easy access from State Highway 1, plenty of complimentary off-street parking. McGavin's Restaurant and Bar, offering contemporary cuisine using fresh local produce. Conference rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, ACCOR, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Dunedin Leisure Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Leisure Lodge Dunedin Hotel Dunedin
- Mercure Leisure Hotel Dunedin
- Accor Leisure Hotel Dunedin