Lisburn House
Manor Motel(Dunedin)
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe blue roomprivate bathroomb bvictorian houseother guestsfour poster bedbeautiful roomnext morningcontinental breakfastplace to stayyogurthostnzaccommodationfurnishings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 13, 2012

What a great weekend we had at Lisburn House for our wedding anniversay. Every thing was perfect from when we arrived on the Saturday afternoon, being greated by Olivia and Alan, who where the perfect hosts. We had pre dinner drinks beside the open fireplace with the other guests staying there for the night. Following the pre dinner drinks we had a supurb three course meal. After the meal we again retired to the open fire for an enjoyable evening with the other guests.
We stayed the night in the blue room which was beautful. The following morning we had a late breakfast which was delicious and we were given several choises of what was available for us to eat. After breakfast we had plenty of time left to allow us to wander around the whole property to admire the rest of the building and grounds. Although we live in Dunedin we chose Lisburn House as we had dined there before and thought it would be a wonderful place to spend and enjoyablel night away. We were not disapointed. We would not hesitiate to stay there again and recommend this accommodation to any one as a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The rooms definitely have got some wow factors. I loved their furnitures and wallpapers, which, according to the host, were all imported from UK and Italy etc. My husband and I lived in the rose room. It was spacious and comfy. My friends stayed in the Victorian room. It looked most classical among all three rooms. But I think my faviourite is the blue room. No one was staying there that day, so the next morning I went in and had a look. Really loved that light blue colour!

Downstairs there were a beautiful living room and a dining room. Breakfast was yummy and the presentation was lovely. The host lady asked us breakfast preferences and cooked to our needs.

In a city like Dunedin I always want to live in a B&B rather than a hotel because it suits the city's atmosphere. I think it was a right desicion to stay in Lisburn. It was built in 1865 and marked as heritage inn in NZ. The renovation made it comfortable and clean. There is nothing I dislike about it. It was simply wonderful!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. The rose room is more feminine and has a kid's bed. But the blue room is my favourite.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2012

When you stay at Lisburn house you don't feel like you're staying at a B&B, you feel like you're staying with friends! Lisburn House definitely lets you feel a little of that old world Dunedin charm in their historic house. We stayed in the blue room in which everything you could wish for was provided. It's a good sized room with impeccable old world furnishings. Most importantly the four poster bed was incredibly comfortable! Alan and Olivia are your charming hosts and nothing is too much trouble! As soon as we arrived, Alan made a pot of tea and we sat down in the lounge room and chatted - it was very welcoming. The location of LIsburn House was very convenient and there was parking available at the rear of the house. They have free wifi in the house (we can't do without our internet connection), and there are facilities for coffee/tea in your room. The rooms are also equipped with guest robes and plenty of lovely fluffy towels. We would definitely stay at Lisburn House again if we were in Dunedin.

Room Tip: Two rooms have their own bathrooms but these are located across the hall - which is no problem at all. One of the rooms (the Rose Room I believe) has the bathroom as an ensuite.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We arrived for a three night stay between Chrismas and New Year. The house itself is an 1865 built heritage home and from the moment you step through the front door you could imagine how the house was lived in its original state. The attention to period detail is outstanding. Each room has its own distintive flavour. The hosts Alan and Olivia were very welcoming and helpful in every sense. We were told off on day two for using a local laundrette instead of leaving with our hosts. "All part of the service" we were told. Breakfasts were a delight from the traditional cooked to French Toast, Omlette, Pancakes. All were on offer and tried over the period we were there. We truly felt we were in a home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gillespieb
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Not knowing what to expect, apart from the reviews I had read, I booked us into Lisburn House for a 3 night stay during the Rugby World Cup. I'm sure that if the old Carisbrook ground had been used we would have had difficulty getting into Lisburn House. We were not disappointed at all. The rooms were excellent and clean and large, the bathrooms well stocked and our hosts were very friendly. Alan had not been back long from his job as Chef on board a Trawler but managed extremely well as Olivia had been suffering fom a cold, so we did not meet her until the second day. She and Alan gave us some excellent advice about where to go and what to see whilst we were in Dunedin. Although a bit more than I wanted to spend I certainly do not regret our stay there and would thoroughly recommend the venue to anyone else looking to stay in Dunedin.

It would have been nice to have eaten in their restaurant had it still been going, but for this you have to blame the City of Dunedin for changing the rates to an exhorbitant amount and for the city to lose a good restaurant. Idf we make it back to Dunedin we will surely try and stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are large, it is just a choice of which colour you prefer as rooms are based on their coloured furnishings.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple