“Fantastic B&B”
Review of Lisburn House

Lisburn House
Ranked #30 of 61 Dunedin B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Not knowing what to expect, apart from the reviews I had read, I booked us into Lisburn House for a 3 night stay during the Rugby World Cup. I'm sure that if the old Carisbrook ground had been used we would have had difficulty getting into Lisburn House. We were not disappointed at all. The rooms were excellent and clean and large, the bathrooms well stocked and our hosts were very friendly. Alan had not been back long from his job as Chef on board a Trawler but managed extremely well as Olivia had been suffering fom a cold, so we did not meet her until the second day. She and Alan gave us some excellent advice about where to go and what to see whilst we were in Dunedin. Although a bit more than I wanted to spend I certainly do not regret our stay there and would thoroughly recommend the venue to anyone else looking to stay in Dunedin.

It would have been nice to have eaten in their restaurant had it still been going, but for this you have to blame the City of Dunedin for changing the rates to an exhorbitant amount and for the city to lose a good restaurant. Idf we make it back to Dunedin we will surely try and stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are large, it is just a choice of which colour you prefer as rooms are based on their colo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 17, 2011

If your traveling to Dunedin you should have the Lisburn on your list as the place to stay. You won't regret it. Olivia and her staff are a perfect example of how guest should be treated. I thank them for their kindness and Irish hospitality.

Ray & Cris

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I stayed in the Lisburn House and felt like I was at home. Olivia was such a gracious hostess. SHe gave us advice on where to go and also lent me an extra layer for my nature trek as it was quite windy out. Olivia made us feel so welcome and went above and beyond fo us- making sure we were fed after our late arrival, as well as for our early departure and even helped us by having the coach come and pick us up a little later to give us more time to enjoy our breakfast before heading to the airport. I would definitely recommend this place and cme back again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Olivia and Alan were just the perfect hosts: Helpful, welcoming, anticipating our needs and exceeding our expectations. The elite luxury Victorian rooms were all equipped with a full library, real antique furniture and paintings, fine porcelain, you name it. Every single detail tells you that you are in a true Victorian environment. We were spoilt with their impeccable service, exceptional traditional cooked breakfast and 3-course dinner that includes a generous selection of local and international wines. We loved Dunedin and Olivia and Alan are part of the reason why we got such a positive impression of the city. Highly recommendable B&B.

1  Thank WilliamWest
Reviewed February 3, 2011

When you stay at Lisburn House you are guaranteed a warm Irish reception.Olivia,our hostess,was most accomodating and nothing was to much bother.Breakfasts were great and our special intimate evening meal was unforgettable.Olivia is very knowledgeable about New Zealand and was better than any guide book when it came to planning trips,what was unmissable,and where to stay.

Thanks again Olivia for all the great advice and a lovely stay at Lisburn House.

1  Thank Isalymad
Reviewed January 21, 2011

My wife and I have just had the pleasure of staying at Lisburn House in Dunedin with Olivia our wonderful hostess. We were booked to stay at Hilltop B&B, but due to the sale of that premises, we were referred to Lisburn House. The tariff was significantly higher at Lisburn House, but they kindly accepted our booking for two nights at the lower rate as asked by Hilltop.
Our accommodation was of the highest standard, clean, excellent food and our hostess could not have been more friendly and went out of her way to ensure our stay was as enjoyable as possible in every way. My wife and I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Dunedin.
Greg Australia

1  Thank Novocastrians
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Hi,

This B&B may be the loveliest place in New Zealand, but I'm afraid that my fiancee and I will never find out. We had confirmed bookings at Lisburn House for over a month and a half but, when the owners discovered there was a Rugby World Cup match on the weekend of our booking, they decided that they would cancel our stay because they could get more money elsewhere. Apparently they were happy to reinstate our booking if we agreed to pay double the price of when we originally booked.

This is not the way anyone should do business and I would strongly advise anyone thinking about staying here that their booking is not worth the paper it's printed on - if there's an opportunity that someone else might pay more, you'll be out on your ear faster than you can imagine.

These people have put a downer on our honeymoon, 10 months before it even happens.

Stay away - your holiday is not worth the risk.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple