“Great place!!”

Leviathan Heritage Hotel
Ranked #56 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay there.
Very friendly and helpful staff!
Very clean and cozy place ....for its age!
I'll definetly stay there again! It is located about 700 metres from the Pubs and Restaurants, and basically across the street from the Railway Station

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I washed up at the Leviathan after my upmarket motel cancelled my booking. This was during the March 2013 NZ-England Cricket Test when rooms in Dunedin were hard to find. As a Kiwi living in London, I first went to the Leviathan when I was a boy. What can one say? Barry, the manager, is a gem. In France, it would probably get two stars which means clean, tidy and basic. The window frame in my bathroom was rotting but the shower worked well. I was given a room on the quiet interior courtyard. The Leviathan has a place in the hearts of those who know Southern NZ. It's a gracious old lady fallen on hard times - part of Dunedin's history with fine wooden staircases and panelling in the public areas and an old world air. Not my first choice by a long shot but I was grateful to the Leviathan for its many rooms, realistic prices, warm welcome, outstanding service from Barry, excellent central location: a good port in a storm. I'd use it again if I got stuck.

Room Tip: Ask or a room on the interior courtyard. There are busy streets on both sides of the hotel but it...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2013

and city centre, but in dire need of renovation.
Renovations are obviously under way but still a long way off completion.

We stayed here twice..........on the recommendation of the organisers of a Milford Track walk.
We were very grateful to be able to leave our car in the Hotel Car park whilst we were away doing the track.

The rooms are dated and vary in size and presentation.
Suggest a room overlooking the central courtyard better than those facing the street as it is rather noisy.

Sadly, the bar is best avoided............
Mainly frequented by locals, we decided to leave after one of them insisted (and succeeded ) to remove his underpants without taking his shorts off.
We revisited the next night and there appeared to be the same regular mob there.

Sure it will be nice when renovations are completed, but at present would only recommend on a one night stopover.

There is a lift in the building and private sitting area to escape for a quiet drink or read if you wish.
Tariff is ample..........considering breakfast is extra.

Room Tip: Certainly choose a room overlooking central courtyard
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have stayed twice at the Leviathan. It is an older hotel but is right in the city centre of Dunedin (population 120,000) and across the road from the Settlers Museum (or is it the Otago Settlers Museum?) anyway well worth a visit and just a couple on minutes to the beautiful Dunedin railway station and only a block away from a bicycle shop. The Leviathan has indoor bike storage and are happy to store our bike boxes till we return in a week or so's time. Rooms are basic but clean, and uyou can open the windows onto a central courtyard. We have stayed in two rooms, both with ensuite, but one with a tiny kitchenette. Both have tea and coffee making facilities though. There are lifts and the one from the bike storage area is definitely one to go in. The oldies amongst us will appreciate the 2-door metal grille doors that lift operators in department stores would open and tell you, for example, "2nd floor - ladies shoes to the left; gentlemen's shoes to the right". Well you get to operate this lift yourself!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel is in the centre of Dunedin citty, it is close to Railway Station, where you can ride the famous Taieri Gorge Railway, also the Chinese Garden, both only less than 5 min walks.
It is close to Octagon (city centre), Cadbury Choco factory, supermarket, and restaurants. All in a walking distance.
On the negative side, this is old hotel in old building, it doesn't mean completely unacceptable, but don't expect a modern flashy hotel.It was OK for cleanliness, the room is big, enough for 4 adults with 2 double beds, ensuite bathroom, but we can feel the "smell" of old room.
The manager on duty was really helpful, instead of send us to use Taxi, he gave us a complementary hotel vehicle for free 3 hours around the city riding with the simple rule, we fill back the petrol that we used. Very helpful (double thumps up).
It is in the city centre, but as long as you are not in the road side room, the sleep quality is OK, moreover Dunedin is small, and traffic volume is light (compared with other big city), so no problem with road noise. No comment about the hotel food, because we found a yummy Asian restaurant very close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose room NOT on the road side, it will give you better sleep quality.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Staff were really nice, I enjoyed my stay. The meals were huge, a little too much for me, but really nice. The room was nice, nice complimentaries, and comfortable. And the manager helped me with my transport problems!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed at this Hotel last weekend and there was a group of us, when we booked the Manager was great and gave us a good deal, which was appreciated, found the lady at breakfast was great, but very dissapointed with the young girl at reception, she was not helpfull at all and when we asked for the bar to be opened as 23 of us wanted a drink she refused, she didn't want to help us almost like we were an inconvenience, I would call that throwing money away.
A real shame as everyone else was great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends