“A Comfortable Place to Stay in Dunedin”

Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin
Ranked #38 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel has been refurbished and is now bright and fresh. The rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable. Do have a meal in the restaurant the food is excellent and the service great. Just a short walk to the Octagon and other landmarks.Really friendly staff make this a pleasant place to stay for your Otago experience

Room Tip: Third floor and above are the quiestest
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Have stayed here now a couple of times over the last 3 months and you get exactly what you pay for. For $100 per night you get a tidy room which is extremely centrally located and as far as convenience to the Octagon and central Dunedin the hotel has all the amenities for a no fuss stay. The breakfast buffet is very average and limited in selection but the service from all staff I found to be very helpful anf friendly and this hotel punches well above its 3 star rating. Renovations are underway I noticed which will be welcome. Would I stay on leisure, proberbly not, but I was staying on buisiness and really just needed a place to rest my head. When I weigh up value for money, and location I will have no hesitations to stay here once again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vacation472
Andrew708, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. We value your comments and we are pleased that you had a pleasent stay with us. It is even more pleasing to see people returning to stay with us for a variety of reasons and as a team we truly appreciate the loyalty.We hope to see again on you next trip to Dunedin.

Andrew GM

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The room was clean and the furnishings were in good nick. The TV was massive! Wifi - very slow. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was decidedly average in terms of the quality of the buffet cooked breakfast. The nachos I got on room service were rubbish. The coffee was terrible. I found out the 'pool' was actually the public poll 10 mins walk up the road. Not really keen on that prospect at 6am in the morning. I wouldn't mind staying there again although I might go to a cafe for breakfast next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. We value your comments as without feedback we would not be able to measure ourselves. I am sorry we seemed to have not lived upto your expectations regarding the Food of which I have spoken to the team about and will most definitly be addressing. I am sorry if you were of the understanding that the pool and gym complex were on site and I will look into how we promote this complimentary service to our guests so as not to mislead them. Once again thank-you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

Regards

Andrew GM

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked a standard room with two double beds on a $99 winter warmer deal which also included a full buffet breakfast. The rooms were clean, fresh and the interior modern. The bathroom had a shower over bath which suited us. The breakfast had a great variety. Lovely view over the City. Would stay again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

When we first drove up to the Kingsgate Hotel, I was slightly worried, as it had a bit of a run down feel to it. The outside paint was all cracked and peeling and the inside lift took forever to work.

However, from the moment we walked into our room, that all changed.

I had booked just a standard room, which should have just been a studio room with a small ensuite. Instead, they had upgraded us without telling us, into a 1 bedroom apartment.

So we had a small suite to ourselves which was awesome! Not only that, but we had an absolutely enormous balcony to ourselves which looked over the city, with stunning views at night.

The bed was a queen and very comfortable. There were extra blankets which was nice since it was quite cold, yet we still wanted the windows open for fresh air.

The bathroom was another surprise. It was covered in these beautiful champagne tiles and there was a bathtub in there! Now, I know a lot of people don’t necessarily like baths, but for me, they are a luxury I never seem to get tired of, so having one as a complete surprise was certainly awesome!

The staff were very friendly and willing to help with anything we needed. Parking was in short supply, but we didn’t have a problem as I think the hotel was running on low occupancy at the time of our visit.

It also was great that the hotel’s location is right in the heart of the city. It literally lies on the outer ring of the Octagon, which meant that for our tours etc, we didn’t have to drive to the information centre, we could walk everywhere.

All up, great hotel, would happily stay there again, and have recommended it to others. Would say to them to get a new paint job though to make the outside more appealing!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The room was a bit small as there was 3 of us, however the location was great, everything was in walking distance - Cadbury's Factory, Speights Brewery, Dunedin Train Station etc. Breakfast was a tad boring after 3 mornings but was enough to give you a good start to the day. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

There was scaffolding outside our room due to re-painting so that did spoil what would have been a good view of the city.

Would recommend as good value for money.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann C
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed for five days visiting my son at University. Very central and easy access to town, pubs etc. they gave a good price. Room basic but clean and tidy. Not many channels on TV to my son's disappointment but the complimentary passes for the local pools were a success. Breakfast could have been better, but was as substantial as required. Have booked again for my son's graduation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo