“Terrible Customer Experience”

Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Dunedin
Timaru
“Terrible Customer Experience”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I received terrible customer service from the receptionist at the Kingsgate Hotel. I wrote a letter to the Hotel Manager about the experience and I have never received a reply, so now I am telling others. I arrived at the Hotel in the dark and pouring rain. The receptionist did not enquire where I had parked my car and subsequently it was towed. When I spoke with the receptionist, he was amused and said it happens all the time. When I got the vehicle back it had a plastic bag under th wiper with a Hotel Letterhead note saying I should not park there and could be towed. Given that I did not need the vehicle I did not get the note. I was in fact in the hotel the whole time and no one bothered to let me know. If it happens all the time, why would staff not make it a standard question when customers are checking in?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MareeRTimaru
Andrew708, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Maree thank you for your feedback about your stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. I am sorry to hear about your car being towed. We do however have notices in the elevator regarding the Car Park in question. At the entrance to the Car park it is also clearly sign posted that it is is a Private Car Park and unauthorised parking of cars may lead to them being towed.At the hotel we pride ourselves on Guest customer service,I will be addressing your comments to my Front Office team. I do hope on your next visit to Dunedin you will choose to stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
New Zealand
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Parents and two grandsons in one room, grandpa (me) in a suite, all for a value price including breakfasts. A central and comfortable pace for a family holiday, and free use of the great Moana Pool. Good laundry facilities (important) and helpful staff. Refurbishment still ongoing, but with good results. A great stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent Feedback regarding your families stay at the Kingsgate Hotel in Dunedin. I am pleased to hear that your experience with us in Dunedin was a pleasurable one and that you took advantage of the complimentary Pool passes for Moana Pools. I am now pleased to say that the Refurbishment of the Kingsgate Hotel in Dunedin is complete and we are very proud of the hotel. We hope you come and stay with us again on your next visit to Dunedin.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just an average hotel, clean nice beds, we ate dinner at the restaurant I had steak which was so tough I couldnt eat it and was a waste of money, room included breakfast which was quite good. The walk to town was not far.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Andrew708, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you feel that we did not meet with your expectations and that your dining experience was not upto the standard we set ourselves at the hotel. I am pleased that you found the Beds comfortable and enjoyed the convenience of having Breakfast included in your package deal. I hope on your next visit to Dunedin you will come and stay with us again at the Kingsgate Hotel.
chch new zealand
Reviewed September 27, 2012

lovely girl on reception in the afternoon when we booked in and we were more than impressed with our room paid $109 nz dollars and got a full cooked breakfast for two included in price which was bery generous. would definately stay here again. its a short but steep walk down into the octogan area, had no trouble getting a park right below our room too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Kingsgate Dunedin has recently completed a hotel refurbishment and we feel very proud of the end product and I am pleased you found the hotel very clean tid and confortable. We hope to see again on your next trip to Dunedin
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed for 1 night on our short trip in Dunedin. Location is good and room is newly make up. Gotten a bonus breakfast deal for 2 which is a decent only. Limited parking when whole lots parking in front of the hotel is not belong to hotel. Will be better if free wifi is included.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew708, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for your recent Feedback regarding your stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. We are pleased you enjoyed your weekend and look forward to welcoming you back to the Kingsgate Hotel Duedin in the future.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed over a weekend for two nights.
The hotel is located 5 minutes walk from the Octagon. As it is on a slope, it offers great views over the city and surrounding hills.
Staff are friendly. The rooms are tidy.
There is not much more to it.
If you are looking for a value for money, very convenient location in town yet with great views, with clean rooms and friendly staff, this hotel can be highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew708, General Manager at Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank-you for your Feedback over your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. I am pleased you found our Team friendly and courteous. At the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin we pride ourselves on having a very strong customer focussd team and try at all times to meet and exceed our Customers expectations. Our location close to the city is very convenient to to local shops and attractions but still peaceful enough to enjoy the views. We hope to see you again at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin on your next trip to Dunedin.
Alexandra, New Zealand
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The kingsgate Dunedin has been a favourite for our family for quite a number of years, it has a great location being just a few minutes walk to the Octogon , and Hoyts cinemas our first stop to check out whats on for the children. We have always found the staff very helpfull, and friendly , the rooms are well presented tidy and warm. Another plus is the great view of the city and otago harbour, if you wish to eat in then Jimmy Cooks kitchen and restaurant have excellence food at reasonable prices .The rates are great ,( if you book in advance with grab a night) we had to book two rooms to fit our selves and our daughter and friend in. All in all it was once again a wonderfull experience, thank you Kingsgate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you for your Feedback over your recent stay with us at the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin. I am pleased you found our Team friendly and courteous. At the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin we pride ourselves on having a very strong customer focussd team and try at all times to meet and exceed our Customers expectations. We pleased yourself and your family enjoy staying with us during your trips to Dunedin and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin.