“A pleasant suprise.”
Review of Shahi Tandoor - CLOSED

Shahi Tandoor
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Home of traditional Indian Kebabs, Snacks and Curries cooked in charcoal fired Tandoor (clay pot oven). Indian restaurant which can accomodate big events too.
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I were in Dunedin and came upon this restaurant. Walking in I noticed how clean the place was. We were attended to almost immediately and shown our table.There was a variety of food on the menu and must admit was a bit nervous that we might get something too hot. My husband had the chicken dish and myself the lamb.My husband normally finds this sort of food too hot and spicy but to my amazement he raved about it.The waiter had spoken to us beforehand about our likes and dislikes so well done. The service was excellent with the one waiter doing an outstanding job.We never felt as though we had been forgotten about even though he had to attend to several other customers.

1  Thank VeronikaNewZealand

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Wandering the streets looking for a nice dinner spot I saw the Trip advisor certificate displayed and thought this must be a good place tp eat. It was a busy night so I had to wait for a table to be set. Shortly I was shown to my table and cuterlery was laid. A glass was also place but alas no water til I asked for it after my stater arrived. No trying to sell me other drinks either. I like beer with curry. It was a busy night..... Not sure how long it took for waitress to come take my order but I was eyeing the door. Finally my order was taken. I noticed the people next me had ordered however their food seemed to take some time. It was a busy night. However takeaway orders seemed to be done quite quickly. Not much personality displayed by the wait staff. When food came it was good tasting but I have tasted comparable and certainly service was missing.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Spotted this quite new place on Trip Advisor and thought it worth a try. Midweek, quite busy but only one waiter. Didn't look good as more diners arrived. However he turned out to be an efficient marvel, taking orders, bringing food and drinks and clearing without fuss or delay. Starters arrived in good time. Chicken Pakoda were good and the mixed platter at the adjoining table looked great. I can confirm that the Butter Chicken was very good as was the Lamb Rogan Josh, although both could have been hotter (temperature). Spice levels were as requested. The Nan was good but slightly undercooked I thought. Overall certainly worth a visit. Oh and a P.S. Has a B rating now, so they appear to have sorted whatever the issue was.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

While in Dunedin recently I went out for dinner with a friend. I spotted this restaurant earlier in the day at lunch and noticed that it was full. Being keen on Indian we gave this place a try.

We were given a choice of where to sit by the one front of house waiter. Even though he was the only person on he managed the entire room very efficiently and was able to spend a lot of time with guests explaining the menu which he knew intimately.

The décor was interesting. Lots of very bright colours that reflected the colours of the spices in the food and lots of bright light. A bit over the top for my liking but my friend loved it...

For starters we ordered Lamb Seekh Kebab (Succulent marinated lean minced lamb smoked in the tandoor oven) and the Tandoori Murgh (Spring chicken marinated in spices and yoghurt cooked in the traditional tandoor). Both dishes were cooked to perfection, moist & succulent and full of flavor but the best part was the dipping sauce that accompanied the meats. Bowl licking good.

For our mains I had my favorite curry, a hot lamb vindaloo, and my friend had the chicken balti which came in an authentic balti pot. I've eaten a lot of vindaloo's in my time but this one was definitely one of the best. Hot (my friend had one taste and couldn't eat any more) but not too hot that it masked the flavour's of the delicious curry and the lamb. Perfect with the Kingfisher lager that I had with it. My friend had never tried a balti before (usually played it safe with a butter chicken) and was gob smacked with the meal. The chicken was cooked to perfection in a mild spicy tomato and onion curry with mixed vegetables. Delicious...

And did I mention the price; just $75 for 2 entrees, 2 mains & beers. I will definitely be going back next time I'm in Dunedin.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was travelling around India just 6 weeks ago, and the food at this restaurant rivals the very best cuisine I had on that trip. We arrived very late and the restaurant was empty, but the owner kept the kitchen open for us and insisted we eat in (even though we offered to get take away). We had lamb roganjosh, paneer butter masala, chicken shahi korma and aloo gobi between four of us with rice and naan all-round. Every meal was delicious and full of flavour. The service was great and the prices were very affordable. If I'm ever in Dunedin again, I'll definitely stop here for some great value, full flavoured, authentic Indian curries.