“A Fantastic 4 Day MTB Tour”

Offtrack MTB Tours - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$73.76*
and up
Otago Peninsula Bike Tour from Dunedin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fully guided half-day/day and multi-day mountain bike tours, based in Dunedin. Whether it be a quiet bike ride on the Otago peninsula looking at wildlife or single track off road action and epic rides, you can do it all with Offtrack.
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have just finished a challenging and fun 4 day tour with Nick. We mountain biked on the Otago Peninsula and Central Otago across the four days. Nick tailored a program for each day that was in different terrain with different challenges. Nick is an extremely professional and highly skilled guide who is totally service oriented in a very understated manner. Our trip involved a fantastic overnight stay on the Otago Highlands in the most fantastic rural location. A great feature of the trip was that Nick was able to tell us about local history and even introduce us to some wonderful local characters. I think the best thing about the trip was that it was tailored with care for what we wanted rather than being pre packaged. I would highly recommend Nick & Offtrack to MTB riders of any ability. I can honestly say if you are thinking of an MTB trip to New Zealand you should make OffTrack Tours your first point of enquiry.

1  Thank David H
There are newer reviews for Offtrack MTB Tours - Day Tours

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I am an avid cyclist, and I was looking for your non-typical cruiser excursion from the ship. I ran upon Nick and his company through the iBikeHire website. He knew right away what I wanted and had some ideas for me for my day. Originally I was thinking a 100k-150k ride on a road bike (which he had ideas for), but I backed off and took one of his mountain bikes with the plan of just getting through the Otago Peninsula, since I have read so much about it being one of the best bike rides around. Nick gave me a plan for about a 80k route. He would meet me at the ship when the ship docked. What I didn't realize was that two ships were docking that day and I docked first in the dark. I lost a few minutes of time because I didn't realize that I should've asked about a time, so I jumped on board for a ride in his van with some other cruisers that he was taking for a tour from the other ship. That saved me about 12k of riding. He dropped me off at the start of the Otago Peninsula, gave me all the information that I needed as well as a map, and set me off, while they did their own mountain bike ride.

I rode along the coast to the Albatross Colony, which was an incredible ride, and saw seals at the end. The area also has penguins if you are willing to head into the penguin conversation area, but I did not have time. I did see all of the penguins coming onto the cliff as the ship departed later. For the return trip, I decided to take Highcliff Road, which is a big change in the terrain because Highcliff is a ton of uphill. I ended up seeing Nick and the rest of the tour group in Portabello right before I started my ascension onto Highcliff. The other 4 cruises were done their mountain bike ride and were really happy. They had seen penguins, which made me a bit jealous. :-) But I was set to do this long solo ride and so off I went. I went up and up and up, and sheep, and hills, and sheep and hills, and then down into the urban area. Nick had suggested that I hit the beach and I did have time for that, but I didn't want to risk missing the ship shuttle so I headed into town, locked up the bike at the art gallery per instructions, and jumped onto the shuttle. It couldn't have been much better. It was an amazing day! And Nick knew it all. It's hard to trust a guy on the other side of the world when you are just writing emails back and forth, but he came through and it was amazing.

The trail itself is wonderful and completely different than what we have in the Americas. There is water and clean bathrooms all along the coastal route, and the roads are so safe that I couldn't believe it. Most of the coastal route has a dedicated bike lane. HIGHLY recommend for any avid cyclist.

It would've been nice to try to ride up the "steepest road in the world" especially since I have done Savageman with a 31% grade hill, but I didn't plan well and I didn't know where it was when the time came.

1  Thank kalalau
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My bike trip in Dunedin was the highlight by far of our trip to New Zealand and Australia. We were met at the ship right on time and driven up to the top of mt cargill with a trailer of bikes in tow. With a map and a lock we were free to coast down into town at our own pace...almost all downhill. End of the day lock the bikes downtown and that was it!
We're both in our 50's so don't worry. The scenery was magnificent. Loved the owner...I forgot his name!

3  Thank GatorBearBob
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were passing through Port Chalmers on a cruise and had only one day to see this beautiful area. I'm so glad we found Nick! He picked up our group of six at the ship and spent the day with us on an incredible tour of the area. He was able to customize the tour to meet our needs and skill level. He is a great guy, a native of the area and is a wealth of information about the region. You will not be disappointed! One of the best days we spent in New Zealand. Thanks Nick!

1  Thank andrew d
goforitnz, Owner at Offtrack MTB Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Thanks for your great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your day. Your group was great and I enjoyed showing you the Otago Peninsula. It is a place that is often taken for granted by the locals, but is one of the world's best cycling routes with it's combination of natural beauty and fantastic cycling, which I am reminded of every time I take a group there.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Did the half day Otago Peninsula MTB tour. Superb value for money and one of the best tours we have done in 4 weeks in NZ. Nick was very knowledgable and picked routes to suit our ability. Fantastic views and great biking. Can't recommend enough!

1  Thank AlistDav