“best value”
Review of Chalet Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunedin
Chalet Backpackers
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Chalet provides clean, friendly and very affordable historic building located near central Dunedin. Cheryl and staff are helpful and approachable. Excellent value for the cost. Sadly didn't see any ghosts, but the building has an interesting history. Thoroughly recommend it.

Heather

Room Tip: Our room was the old theatre so big and with basins, close to the lounge and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Chalet Backpackers

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my fiancé here for two nights although wish it had been longer! Fantastic little place which is comfy and inviting on the inside, as well as having a very well equipped kitchen and comfy beds too! No bunks as far as I'm aware too!

The stories of a ghost of an old man smoking a pipe in the pool room I thought were fantastic too. No haunting a were had, although that would've added to the unique atmosphere around I guess :)

Fantastic hosts too, even going out of their way to drop us at our bus. Can't really ask for anymore than that to be honest!

Oh and free tea and coffee is as sweet as too btw! I'll miss this place and the beautiful Dunedin too, Edinburgh of the South :) thank you!!

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Chalet is a friendly, cozy hostel in an old hospital building, villa style. The rooms are spacy, bright and friendly. Staff (Cheryl) is super friendly and makes you feel at home. You will ven have the change of seeing a ghost:)
Location is all right, close to the center, however, a little walk up a steep hill.
The kitchen is well equipped, rooms and showers are clean.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I must admit Chalet Backpackers wasn't my first choice when I started planning my trip to Dunedin, but I'm glad I stayed there! The owner was friendly and helpful. Because it's winter the place was pretty empty, which I loved. I even had a night all to myself in my dorm!
Rooms are pretty big, so all dorms have plenty of space! And the beds are REAL BEDS, no bunks! That always makes me smile.
The common areas are good, clean and well-kept. Everything was super clean all the time! The place can be a little dark sometimes, but once you learn where the switches are, this problem is solved.
Unfortunately, during my last night, due to heavy rains, my dorm had 5 leaks! It's an old house, so I get that can happen.
Anyway, it was a great place to relax and enjoy Dunedin during winter! Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed in June and it was freezing in the hostel and rooms - there were hot water bottles to keep us warm and a little heater which did very little. It did seem a bit of a ghost hostel too as there were very few people staying there in the big building and no staff most of the time.
I guess in summer it would be quite nice but in winter you just want a warm place to stay.

Pros: big rooms and kitchen, friendly staff, good price, location close to town (10 minute walk down hill), nice showers, communal room with guitar

Cons: cold, none of the tvs work as they haven't changed to freeview, pool room locked when we were there, lots of the hobs in the kitchen didn't work, expensive internet, up a hill, lack of staff presence - we had to call a number on arrival to check in to the building as we arrived a bit later than time given

Overall, a ok stay but maybe better options if you want to keep warmer!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We visited this place after a horrible journey to Dunedin, the weather was awful and to be honest we had tried other hostels which we couldn't get into because they were full: so we were p*ssed off and just couldn't wait to just check into a hostel and chill out. Needless to say this place made us feel right at home, and cheered us up. The rooms were cosy if a bit old-fashioned. Nice old wooden staircase. Big TV room (though the TV didn't work - slight problem there).
There were LOADS of nice touches like the decorations around the place, the radio playing in the communal dining area, friendly signs hanging around, loads of tourist information leaflets if you weren't sure what to do with your stay, a pool room and the use of hot water bottles!! Which we definitely needed on the chilly night we stayed. Showers were hot and fine.
The electricity went upstairs while we were there which wasn't necessarily the hostel's fault.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Cheryl and Debbie (Weds) great hosts. Kept very clean. Place is really well cared for. Security is really good: everyone nas to check in properly with ID: great! Any signs are written with a bit of fun, so you feel relaxed. My single room for 7 nights was the best value in the South Island for me.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo