“A hostel which is a little bit different where you will feel at home”
Review of Chalet Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunedin
Chalet Backpackers
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A place where I felt welcome immediately. The owner was very sweet and enthousiastic. Her little dog enjoyed my presence as well.
The rooms are big and very spacious. There are no bunk beds which is always a big advantage. The kitchen is clean. The rest of the building has a lot of decorations which makes it probably a bit harder to clean.
I had some good weather but there is certainly enough to do on a rainy day with a pool table and a tv room.
I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Chalet Backpackers

Reviewed March 30, 2013

When we arrive Cheryl received us in a great way, always looking for ways to make us feel more comfortable. The building is certainly far from new, but the place is nice and clean. It also has a good location near the Octagon and the Speight's brewery. If I go back I would definitely stay in there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is one of the best places I stayed in when travelling all over New Zealand. The single rooms on the top floor are clean, have furniture so you can store your stuff and have lovely views. As the property is located in a residential area, it is peaceful and quiet. There is a large kitchen as well. Cheryl is a lovely lady. I would recommend it to others and stay there again myself.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The most homely place I stayed in New Zealand, booked one night and stayed a week! The place has real charm and period character (and apparently a resident ghost which unfortunately we didn't see). Lovely kitchen, dinning room, TV room and pool room. We can't thank Cheryl enough for making our visit so welcoming. (Deirdre and Ciaran.)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

stayed in a 4 beds room. verdict:

Con: 1. Uphill climb. so bad idea if you have lotsa heavy baggage. better hire a taxi.
2. Since it's on a main road, do expect car noise but it's at it's minimum level. no worries.
still can get good night sleep. although i heard pedestrian or neighbors shouting a few
nights ago.
3. Big huge window, if you didn't pull the curtain, free *show* if you get what i mean.
4. No free internet people. sorry, gotta pay. Wifi signal is available but have to pay.
5. No locker available.
6. No free breakfast. only free water, coffee and tea.
7. In my room, only one heater is available. although i am not sure if the huge old heater
still function or more of a decor.
8. Quite a walk to the city center or even the nearest supermarket. Not much restaurant
within walking distance.

PRO:
1. Nice, Clean environment. this include kitchen, bathroom,toilet, rooms and the other common rooms too.
2. Fully equipt kitchen. Just bring your raw materials for cooking.
3. Big window in my room so means plenty of light during the day.
4. Each person has it's own drawer and table lamp.
5. I like the security. you need a key to access the main door as well as your room.
6. Smoking area outside! yes!!!!! good news for unwilling passive smokers.
7. Friendly lady at the reception.
8. Travel and tours brochures are plenty at the lobby area.
9. yes! no bunk bed.

oh! by the way, if you hear that the door makes so funny noise like someone is trying to unlock the door, it's more of the wind rather than the friendly Casper ghost.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is a nice and unusual place to stay. It is an old hospital from the 1950's (I think).
The lady running it is a lovely lady (but is firm if any misbehaviour is goning on) She's helpful and nice to have a chat with.
There is a spooky feel to the place... Almost as if a ghost will be hovering on the landing (I've heard stories of it too!) But it's all a bit of fun (I think, I hope...).
The rooms a nice, spacious and clean! I was in a 4 person dorm. The beds were NOT bunk beds, which was great and they were VERY comfy with lots of space to put your luggage in the room. My only issue was that we had the most obnoxious drunken fool of a girl staying in our room who would come in at 5am, talk on the phone, fall off her bed, eat crisps etc... But that is no reflection on the place itself. We were just unfortunate to have her in the same room.
The shower and toilet were private and clean also.
There is a quaint little smoking area out the back which the sun hits perfectly. The kitchen in big and well equipped too.
My only issue is the hill. Dont get me wrong, if you are walking to the centre of town, it's a lovely short downhill stroll. Its the coming back thats the problem... The hill is very big and steep! But you can get around this by using a taxi if you cant manage the hill after the pub. It's only about 5 or 6 Dollars.
Overall, it's a nice place to stay and I'll be back if I ever end up in Dunedin again!

Room Tip: I found the 4 person door just great!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Ash_Halpin
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Booked double room non-ensuite. Excellent for that price (60 NZD). Big room, clean, towels provided, sink and mirror in the room, and a little couch. Showers were good, powerfull, hot and clean. Kitchen clean and good equipped. Beautifull old house with high ceilings, big common rooms and big wooden stairs. We had an excellent stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple