Ways to Experience Horizon Tours
from $101.30
from $81.04
from $175.58
More Info
All reviews maori culture these guys wildlife conservation different species dunedin area sea lions otago peninsula great tour new zealand fur seals kylie lindon hemisphere operator sails forest perspective
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

KIA ORA James
This was our first Cruise stop. We picked this tour without any experience or suggestion and not sure what to expect from the tour. We a family of 4 with 2 kids were really thrilled and excited with the knowledge of the guide James. James was so friendly and his knowledge about Dunedin History, nature, birds and Maori heritage. He took the efforts to take us around the Beach in search of Sea lions.
He was always smiling and asking Trivia questions related to history of New Zealand and other general knowledge in addition to his guided tour. We would surely go again and would highly recommend Horizon Tours.
Badri

Date of experience: January 2020
Kylie R, Owner at Horizon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Kia ora 917badrig,

Thanks so much for your review. We are very glad that you had a good time on our Taste of Dunedin tour. James enjoys spending time with good people, and can ask some tricky Trivia questions too!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was picked up by Kylie on a pretty cloudy Dunedin evening and couldn't believe I was the only one booked on the trip! So refreshing to know that this company don't have a minimum number in order for the trip to go ahead.

The drive out to where the stargazing was to take place was really scenic, with a few stops on the way to admire the views, spot seals and sealions along with all the bird life too. When we got to the stargazing spot, Kylie got me all cosied up with fleecy blankets and a really comfy chair. Plus a selection of hot drinks and some tasty snacks too.

Sadly, the sky wasn't working in my favour that night and it was too cloudy to see any of the stars, other than Venus (a planet, not a star!). I was gutted as if I'd booked the night before, the sky was completely clear and it would have been an awesome star gazing experience.

Despite not seeing any stars, I thoroughly enjoyed my few hours with Kylie - a truly wonderful, open and friendly person - I feel very blessed to have met her. I was also offered a full refund because we didn't get to see any stars. I declined the refund as I had such a good time regardless.

Do this trip if you can!

Date of experience: December 2019
Kylie R, Owner at Horizon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Kia ora Shona!

Thanks so much for your review. I had a fantastic time talking and getting to know you, and am glad you enjoyed the experience despite the sky not doing what we wanted. Hope you get to make it back this way again some day!

Nga mihi

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What a fantastic day and amazing guide! James shared Maori cultural history, took us to fascinating sites including a sacred Maori gathering place, and down a winding dirt road to a deserted beach where we saw sea lions and a little blue penguin in a cave and then an albatross at a special viewing site. He catered to every need and request, and was endlessly generous with his time and knowledge. We ended a perfect day with a traditional Maori nose rub.

Date of experience: January 2020
Kylie R, Owner at Horizon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Kia ora Rosesbrowning,

Thank you so much for your review. Wow! Sounds like you had a fantastic day. James enjoys showing our guests around our beautiful city and peninsula, and sharing more about what we love about being Maori. Thanks for choosing to spend your limited time here in Otepoti Dunedin with us.

Reviewed January 9, 2020 via mobile

Was on a cruise stop. Read the reviews about Lyndon and was so happy I booked this tour. He is so knowledgeable not only on nature but the history of New Zealand. We were so lucky to see a fur seal and sea lions including lots of birds. Unfortunately it was not windy enough for the albatross to be flying about. It was truly memorable. Lyndon kindly returned to the beach when I realised that I’d lost jewellery. Thankfully we found it on the pathway. Would recommend any tour with Horizon Tours and would definitely book again when I return to NZ. Thank you for a fabulous day Lyndon and your team.

Kylie R, Owner at Horizon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2020

Kia ora Xmas00,

Thanks so much for your review. We were very pleased to reunite you with your lost jewellery! Glad to hear that you had a great time with Lyndon, and your recommendation means the world to us as a small company.

Reviewed January 4, 2020

We went on this excursion in mid December and it was amazing. We had the opportunity to see dozens of different bird species, some of which are rare and can only be found in New Zealand. We were lucky and got to see several sea lions on the beach, as well as fur seals in their nesting grounds. One highlight was that there were tonnes of baby fur seals in the rocks, so we got some fantastic photographs. We even got to see several albatross flying from their nesting grounds- the wing span is spectacular.

The guide is very knowledgeable and approachable. He is eager to tell you about the wildlife in the area and to share information about his beloved country. It's clear he loves his job and what he is doing. I loved New Zealand for the people's respect of nature, their environment, and the unique species in the area- this trip is a fantastic representation of that. You are expected to be respectful of the wildlife and to keep a safe distance back, while also getting the rare opportunity to see amazing sights.

I can't write a review without commenting on the delicious lunch. The food was great and it was a nice chance to chat with the other guests on the tour. We took time to eat in a lovely area so that we could learn about the trees and plants in the area.

Date of experience: December 2019
Kylie R, Owner at Horizon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2020

Kia ora Laurabc608,

Thank you so much for your review. You certainly captured everything we hope to deliver on our tours. We are very pleased you enjoyed your time out with us, and hope to see you down this way again some day.