Tripadvisor

from $31.72
from $106.82
from $40.51
More Info
All reviews beer tasting brewing process great tour different beers tasting room ale house pour your own our tour guide tasting session at the end tour takes great fun new zealand visiting dunedin rainy day south island speights alehouse
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2020

The tour was lame. The brewery wasn't functioning and half of the stuff is no longer in use anyway. The tour guide was super awkward and couldn't even look people in the eye. He kept trying to make jokes that weren't even funny. He over and over talked about how all we wanted to do was get to the 30 minutes of unlimited beer at the end. Since I do not drink beer but went with my family, it was a losing situation because I came for the tour and not the beer. They make some other beverages but those weren't available at the end so it was a waste of time and money all around. Overpriced for what you get (nothing but some beer). I've been on many brewery tours across the globe and this ranks among the worst. I'm wondering why it is almost always sold out. I understand beer is expensive in NZ but would have been cheaper to just go buy a few good quality beers elsewhere.

Date of experience: December 2019
1  Thank MyrrhAdventures
SpeightsBreweryNZ, Manager at Speight’s Brewery, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2020

Dear MyrrhAdventures,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor - we appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your visit to the Speight's Brewery.

The Speight's Brewery experience does encompass both the old and new aspects of our site - which we feel is a real point of difference from other Brewery Tours. As the oldest continually operating Brewery in New Zealand we do like to show our visitors the stunning heritage features, such as the copper Brew Floor and Water Room before heading up to our start of the art "New Brew Floor" built in 2012. Although we no longer brew using the copper vessels, these are an intrinsic part of our history - I am saddened to hear that you found these "lame".

Although the 30 minute tasting is a key component of a brewery tour, this is not usually the focus of our activity and I am sorry to hear that you felt the guide placed too much emphasis on this portion of your Speight's experience. We will definitely follow up with our guides to make sure we are aligned in our expectations.

If you could contact me directly via email (Rosie.Shanks@lionco.com) I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns.

Once again thank you for identifying some potential opportunities for the improvement of our iconic experience. I look forward to hearing from you in person. We would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to the Speight's Brewery and provide you with a southern experience true to our values and vision.

Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

The tour was informative however, our guide was a bit too full of who had been on his previous tours. I have been on other brewery tours where you get to see the brewing process more hands on. So whilst it is interesting if you know nothing about the process it isn’t the best brewery tour I have been on. Of course, beer tasting at the end is always a good thing and the beers I tried were good.

Dear katelY9936NH,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor - we appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. We are sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy your visit to the Speight's Brewery.

All of our experienced guides strive to deliver and engaging and informative tour that caters to the interests of our guests. The Brewing process is covered in detail on both Brew floors within the factory - I am sorry to hear that you did not feel this was informative enough. As we no longer utilise a manual brewing process since the completion of our state of the art brew floor in 2014, it is not possible for us to deliver a "hands on" experience. We have incorporated interactive displays on our Copper Brew Floor to visually depict the brewing methods we used historically.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

This tour is basically a series of stops within the Speights building, listening to a guide giving a series of spiels, using museum-like props, about the history of Speights. The stories were interesting although much of what was said could not be heard as our guide's voice, although his volume was fine, was drowned out by machinery - perhaps a mic would have helped? The beer-tasting at the end was enjoyable and relaxed. I was hoping for more insight into the current brewing operation, maybe a walk through/around the rooms still brewing beer, in a way not to disturb operation.

Dear H M

All of our experienced guides strive to deliver and engaging and informative tour that caters to the interests of our guests. As we are the oldest continually operating Brewery in New Zealand we do tend to focus on the iconic heritage of the site and our diverse history.

As an operational site there are instances where noise can be a factor, this is to be expected in any factory tour and we do endeavor to preempt this in our briefing video.

The final stop (before the tasting room) is usually to our state of the art "New Brew Floor" where we discuss the current brewing process and how this differs to manual methods of batch brewing beer. Our guides are always very open to questions from our guests, so I am sorry that you did not conclude the tour with all the information you would have liked.

Reviewed January 14, 2020

We had a lovely tour guide and he knew lots of information about the brewery and town. We were more interested in the information about the brewery though and ran out of time for some of that. Good tastings at the end, where we could ask a few more questions about the brews. Worth the tour.

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed January 13, 2020

Had a tour from Ron who was amiable, very knowledgable and made our day!! Summed up as: relaxed, interesting and fun. Would strongly recommend! Great tasting at the end :)