“The only time I wanted a refund from a motel”
Review of Quality Hotel Cargills - CLOSED

Quality Hotel Cargills
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Terrible tatty, old, smelly, noisy place. Felt conned by the photos on the internet which certainly did not represent the room and decrepit bathroom we had. Expensive, paid top quality prices for third world environment. Wedding held same night we were there outside our room! Great, lots of noise and kids running around upstairs verandahs all day and night. Restaurant closed with no warning but that was fine as we truly just wanted to escape and spend as little time as we could here, terrible, terrible, wish we were brave enough to ask for our money back.

3  Thank Kaiapoiite

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great service and very nice room. Great price especially what you get for that price. Room plus the great breakfast included for the whole family. Awesome top quality food. Good size room for the whole family.

1  Thank Karla A
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I arrived from Brisbane and by 6.30pm Dunedin time I was starving having not had lunch due to the 3 hour time difference.
It was cold and windy and I rugged up and decided to walk from the Albatross B & B just one block up to the nearest place to eat.
I came across the first place which was Cargills and went in, asked for a table for one and had the best service from some lovely girls and the best meal for some time, my favorite blue cod. I asked for mash potatoe's instead of the chips and it was cooked really well.
I had just enough room for desert and had a browny with ice cream, I asked for Hokey Pokey as it had been so long since I had had that but the chef did the usual and I got plain vanilla. A real anticlimax.
topped this with a nice glass of wine NZ of course.
This is not an overly large place but is spacious with views out onto the garden. It was once called Cherry Court as there were cherry trees outside in the court yard. Once in the 70's when it was built my parents had a function there and it was the place to be then.
I would go back again and though it cost $40 it was well worth it, I was not about to go looking for somewhere for decent place to eat after a plan trip and no lunch.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Started with what was supposed to be shrimp cocktail, well, old small shrimps mixed with surimi and some weird dressing. The worst I have ever had. I can’t remember when the last time was that I needed to send a course back. The mains cost around $35 each and were cooked by an uninspired chef. My Blue Cod was typical of what you would find in a pub meal, served with fries and a small salad. When I suggested to the Maitre that the chef get his act together she said they had had a number of complaints. Great service from the staff though. My advice, don’t waste your money; you will get a better meal elsewhere. And if you are staying at the hotel take a walk into town as it’s not that far.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a good hotel for the rates they charge. Even when Elton John was in town - their prices increased but by no dramatic increase. It is nicely refurbed....there is car parking which is a good bonus and the restaurant is adaquate. I would recommend for someone wanting clean and safe and good location....about 10 minute walk to shops but a local shop (dairy) across the road, but the only downside is it can be noisy when people walk past your room, but generally you rely on people being considerate and quiet and a hotel can not control that.