“Fabulous Property and a Wonderful Stay from Super Hosts!”

Best Western 555 On Bayview
Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Dunedin
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Washington
“Fabulous Property and a Wonderful Stay from Super Hosts!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Best Western Dunedin is a not a view property, it's a spectacular property ... run by two of the finest hosts (Richard and Sue) that I've ever met. For those of you used to BW properties in the States, this is much different and greatly exceeds those U.S. BW hotels. Everything was spotless clean. There was a large, slim-screen HD TV on the wall, a fabulous large shower, plenty of desk room to work, a refrigerator, kitchen sink, and great wi-fi (included in their price). You an drive up and park right in front of your room for easy access. And cooked bacon & egg breakfasts were delivered to my room as late as 10:45 am! I spent 3 nights here (Aug 13-15) and cannot wait to return. Sue helped set me up with a fabulous wildlife boat tour of the Otago Peninsula (2 albatrosses landed within 10 feet of our boat and sea lions and fur seals were observed very close). And thanks to Sue, I enjoyed a penguin tour the same day (I had 7 yellow-eyed penguins within feet of my blind!). I cannot say enough about the highly professional and outstanding customer service I received from Richard and Sue (and their cute dog, Max, as well!!). Their warm, friendly and very helpful personalities made me feel like a dear old friend. They are the best. And BTW, their king bed was ultra-comfortable for sound, comfortable sleep. I'll be returning to this Best Western 555 in Dunedin with my wife next year! It's a wonderful comfy, ultra-clean and "everything-you-need" stay with hosts that go out of their way to make you feel at home. This place is tops! Thank you, Richard & Sue! Carl

Room Tip: I loved the ground floor room because I could park right in front of my room door for easy access to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
555Bayview, Owner at Best Western 555 On Bayview, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Many thanks for the kind review, we are pleased you enjoyed your time in Dunedin and especially the trip out to the Otago Peninsula. It was good you also had some time to catch up on some work via the internet and also relax as well.
Thank you for the comments about the accommodation here, we recently received an award from BEST WESTERN International for 'Excellence in Quality and Standards' ; we and our staff try very hard to provide an excellent experience for our guests so its great to get positive feed-back on this.
We certainly look forward to your next visit to Dunedin.
Best wishes Sue & Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at this motel and each time the hosts Richard and Sue are so welcoming. I feel they go way beyond and above what most people would expect from moteliers. Our first night we didn't get there until early evening but they had the drapes pulled and the heaters on in our unit, and again the second night the same thing. For us these things really make a difference as coming in to a warm motel room on a cold night in Dunedin is much appreciated. The units themselves are so well equipped with Richard and Sue thinking of everything you might need or like in your room. A large library of DVDs available free from reception along with some chocolates for our 7yr old! Spick and Span for cleaniness - you would be very hard to please if you could find a fault. We look forward to another stay with 555 on Bayview in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
555Bayview, Manager at Best Western 555 On Bayview, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thanks for your great review, its a pleasure to have you return again to stay with us. The free DVDs are always a hit, we try to keep up to date with the new titles as they come on the market, and we certainly make sure we get all the kids ones too, as people of all ages enjoy watching them.
Kind regards Sue
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Very good motel complete with all you could need. Movies were able to borrowed from reception and breakfast could be ordered. We spent one night here and would recommend it to other travellers. Breakfast arrived warm to our room at the time we specified.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Crooksi
555Bayview, Owner at Best Western 555 On Bayview, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we are pleased you found everything to your liking and hope to see you again down our way again soon.
Best wishes Sue
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My first time to this hotel and to Dunedin - couldn't of asked for a better place to stay. Was travelling by myself and for study purposes. Im 19 years old and was super nervous travelling by myself, let alone staying in a hotel by myself. The staff especially Sue, Richard and Jason were superb, super friendly and very helpful - nothing ever seemed to be an issue. I had an amazing cooked breakfast every morning that arrived on time and cooked fantastically. Hotel is in close proximity to most places in Dunedin; only a 5 minute drive from the Octagon and is located next to a gas station and Countdown (so handy). The room service, was great - every night i came back to clean towels, plates and the bed made. They didn't miss a beat. Lovely facilities, modern room and access to wi-fi - Best Western on 555 in Dunedin was a great place to stay, whether its for a trip or business/course purposes. I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thankyou for your lovely review, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and we are pleased it worked out so handy for you with your study at Otago Polytech. We all look forward to your return to complete the courses left.
Good Luck with your future studies,
Sue, Richard and Jason.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our first time at this motel . We were in Dunedin for a funeral.A number of family members stayed at this motel .Sue and Richard couldnt do enough to help and and advise when required. We have travelled alot and stayed in more accomodation complexes than we can count What struck us was this place was different from the moment we walked into reception .Sue was friendly and extremely welcoming , nothing was a problem. All the family found the rooms and facilities meticulously clean and tidy .All staff where friendly and bloody superb at there jobs .Road noise zero ,Beds comfortable ,Complex ideally situated supermarkets and other essential outlets for visitors to Dunedin.Fantastic host and hostess,great rooms(includes WIFI) We will be back and gladly recommend this motel to friends and family .Score out of 10 HAS TO BE 20

Room Tip: any room great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
555Bayview, Owner at Best Western 555 On Bayview, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, I'm pleased we could be of help during this difficult time for your family. We do look forward to seeing you again as well, certainly under different circumstances.
Wishing you all the best, Sue
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights and it was my first time here. I was a little concerned on arrival as it is next to a busy road, petrol station and supermarket, but I need not have been concerned.

Everything about my stay was excellent, from the moment of arrival to departure. Sue, the owner who greeted me, was very welcoming - she showed me to my room and described the local dining options, which includes a range of local restaurants that will happily deliver to your room.

The rooms are a very good size with fixtures and fittings that are a cut above the normal - the flat screen TV was huge and of a very high standard, the shower room was well equipped and the bed and pillows were particularly comfortable.

Other advantages include being able to park right out front of your room (no valet parking charges!) and you can borrow from a huge range of DVDs to watch in your room for free.

My concerns about being based next to the road, etc, were unfounded - I slept like a log on both nights.

You can tell that Sue is very proud of her hotel and looks after it as if each room were her own home - I was very impressed and will definitely return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
555Bayview, Owner at Best Western 555 On Bayview, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hi Paulrproctor, Thank you for your very thoughtful review. Actually, we do feel our Motel is almost an extension of our home and that every guest is as important to us as they would be as a visitor at our home. We try to ensure all our guests have a truly comfortable, relaxing and pleasant stay whilst here in Dunedin.
Just recently, we have had our annual Quality Assurance assessment of the premises by BEST WESTERN and are really happy to have achieved an 'International Quality Award for Excellence in Quality and Standards' for 2013. All our staff work consistantly hard to achieve this high award -so a big pat on the back for them too!
Many thanks again for your review and we will look forward to seeing you back in Dunedin.
Best wishes Sue
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I've stayed here a few times now both for Business, Sport and Pleasure and every stay has been memorable which is why I always come back, the rooms are well thought out, a great size and very comfortable, lovely in room touches, super comfortable beds and pillows which is hard to find!! And there's always someone around to help if I needed it, very near to a supermarket only a few minutes drive to Edgar Stadium, 5 minutes to Town and some great restaurants nearby. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you EileenH2 for your kind review, I'm glad we are fulfilling our duty to provide a truly comfortable and hospitable experience to our guests. We certainly look forward to being able to host you again when you are next in Dunedin. Kind regards Sue Hanning