“A must-do for brunch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Capers Cafe
Ranked #11 of 325 Restaurants in Dunedin
Cuisines: American, Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dunedin, New Zealand
“A must-do for brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I live in Dunedin and frequence Capers on an all-too-regular basis, and always take visitors here... They're the best value and most delicious breakfast/brunch/lunch stop in Dunedin. They specialise in pancakes, which are outstanding, the the main menu is fantastic as well (eggs Bene, BLT, that kind of thing). Friendly staff, and can get quite crowded on the weekend - testament to it's popularity - but probably worth making a reservation if you're in a big group (4+). There is only one gripe I have - when ordering tea, they don't provide a dish to put the tea strainer in so it makes a mess on the table... But this doesn't stop me coming back again and again :)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Best pancakes ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you visit Dunedin you have to check this place out. It does amazing light, fluffy pancakes with yoghurt and fruit. Every time I am in Dunedin I get a pancake from here - well worth it :)

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Delicious, Friendly, Highly Recommend to all :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Capers you guys really know how to do it all - high quality food, excellent customer service as well as creating an environment that invites your customers to have a very relaxed, enjoyable time - even when you are so busy. Well done to each and every one of you and yes, we will return again. Thanks and much aroha.

• Visited March 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Best Pancakes in Town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Such a yummy place for breakfast! Best pancakes abd the are HUGE!! A half size is more than enough :-) In the weekends, always book as it gets so busy!

Oxford,uk
“disappointing and basic”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Was recommended this place by friends of mine, and had to book our table for brunch which is always a good sign. When we got there, there was a steady stream of people lining up to order, but there didn't seem to be a good layout and people were lined up on two sides of the cash register, with one side not being served. We chose the longer line as it looked like it was moving through a bit faster, but this still seemed to take forever and when I got to the front I could see why. The girl on the cash register was very slow, and didn't seem to have a clue. It was the weekend though.

I chose the Miners Breakfast, and it consisted of bacon, hash brown, sausage and pancakes. I was very disappointed when it arrived. The hash browns were from a packet, and so were the pancakes. They were so big that they covered the whole plate, which was just ridiculous, and looked and tasted like packet mix. But if you like Mcdonalds pancakes then you will probably enjoy them.

Reading all the rave reviews here about the pancakes, then I guess that is what people are after, but I felt like the quality of my meal - pancakes, hash browns, cheap bacon - all deserved to be served in a tearooms not a cafe where you would like the chef to actually cook and be creative.

This was a very busy cafe, and I guess size and not quality is what brings people here. I may come back to try the lunch menu, but not the brunch unless I am very hungover!

Coffee was average.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Simon N, Owner at Capers Cafe, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Owned this cafe for 5 years and you are the first to complain about the miners -yes correct it is not the BEST LOOKING MEAL but how you can compare us to McDonalds is all good we dont use a packet mix like you claim we use fresh eggs, fresh milk, flour, sugar and butter. But i actually think the pancakes are quite tasty at McDonalds so I take that as a Compliment- Thanks you :-) in fact McDonalds is one of the most successful businesses on the plant but im sure you knew that. I' m not sure but we use a very good cut of bacon called streaky bacon once again this is the most widely used cut of bacon used in America. Im not sure what a TEA ROOM is but I dont think they exist in New Zealand and by looking at your profile you come from the UK but i will google this tonight and get an insight about your comparison, but by no means am I changing the cafe and the miners will stay the same the old saying if it ain't broke dont fix it! We have just changed our cashier till so all staff are still on learning mode and this may be the cause of a terrible wait in a line for you next time i will get the manager to congregate the line. Im not sure how high your standards are but can I suggest you may like going to THE GOOD OIL CAFE OR EVERYDAY GOURMET as I truely think we dont cater to your needs and wishes hey good luck and thanks for your small insight. Simon Niak