“Friendly staff, great location, spotlessly clean”

George Street Motel Apartments
Ranked #34 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Feilding, New Zealand
“Friendly staff, great location, spotlessly clean”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

From the moment we arrived at Farry's we felt welcome and 'important'. The motellier showed us to our unit, explained how to use the tv remotes (of which there were several), how to operate the heating etc. We even had a choice of the type of milk and bread we had in our room - full cream or trim, white or wholemeal. Fantastic place. The rooms were spotless - the stainless steel kitchen bench was blindingly dazzling and sparkly clean. (I want to know how they do it! - please dont tell me its just elbow grease). Although we had a rental car we left it parked and walked everywhere - very handy to town and to the university.
I cannot speak highly enough of this motel and I will definitely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: We were given an upstairs room at the back - this is away from George Street so possibly quieter tha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SH4RRY
FarrysMotel, Manager at George Street Motel Apartments, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
On behalf of the team, thank you for your great review.
We work hard to provide a great service and keep our Apartments looking great. We are prepared to share our cleaning secrets to our guests on a one to one basis, so give us a ring.
Since the change of ownweship in August 2012, we are progressively making upgrades across the complex.
We invite readers to give us a try!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
NZ
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely immaculately clean & perfectly comfortable - motel is pretty dated but it's value for money - we only paid $140 for a night. Location is great - 2 mins from CBD & university. You get what you pay for & we would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
FarrysMotel, Manager at George Street Motel Apartments, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Hello, thank you staying with us recently. The Motel changed owners last year, since then numerous improvements have been made. Which is ongoing, to date a complete exterior upgrade, new LED Tvs in the Lounge and bedrooms, some furniture, fabrics, curtains, upgraded towels, consumables and Bathroom products, fabrics, Art, introduced free mini continental breakfasts, free upgraded Wi-Fi, new decor bedcovers arriving next month. We pride ourselves on having satisfied Guests and offering excellent value for money in warm spacious Apartments, in an outstanding location, with legendary central heating for your comfort. We hope to see you again in the future when you will see more improvements.
Auckland
Reviewed May 12, 2013

What a great little find this place was, centrally located this motel offered me everything I needed for my one night stay. The welcome I received was warm, I was offered a choice of milk and bread for my breakfast (didn't know I was getting that). I arrived on a chilly autumn evening and my room had been kept warm, I was thrilled. The room is decorated in a modern style and had everything I needed. The bed was very comfortable, the shower had great water pressure and endless hot water. When I went to the office the next morning I was greeted by name. This place exceeded my expectations and I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
FarrysMotel, Manager at George Street Motel Apartments, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to write a superb review for our Motel/Apartments. We are all pleased you enjoyed here. The Motel changed ownership last August, there have been many changes and upgrades in general since, with more to come. Yes our location is second to none, our Central Heating is truely legendary!. We strive to exceed expectations. Looking forward to seeing you again when next in our lovely city. Safe travels.
New Zealand
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Wanting a couple of nights to stay in Dunedin visiting relatives, the central location of Farry's attracted me, especially when I found a good rate through Wotif. But I got much more than that - a friendly attentive welcome, a quite and comfortable studio unit and complimentary continental breakfast for the first night that lasted for two. I enjoyed my stay here, and will certainly stay at Farry's next time I am in Dunedin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
FarrysMotel, Manager at George Street Motel Apartments, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your great review, we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed our Superior Studio Suite. We do try hard to excede Guest expectations. And Yes it is ideal for privacy in a quiet garden setting. We began the free complementary mini continental breakfast a few months ago, they have certainly proven to be popular, saves going out to a cafe or bringing breakfast with you. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for three nights. Great location for walking to restaurants and shops etc. It is subject to traffic and street noise which we encountered on the Saturday night but the Sunday and Monday nights weren't so bad. Rooms are clean with pleasant decor. We were on the top floor so it was nice to be elevated with a bit of a view from the common walkway verandah balcony. There is plenty of free parking. The moteliers were helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FarrysMotel, Manager at George Street Motel Apartments, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. Yes the location is superb. We hope to see you again in the future, all the best with your travels.
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a weekend. Complementary breakfast was appreciated. Location one of the best for convenience. Spacious, sunny, warm, very clean and comfortable. Excellent value all things considered. Will certainly stay again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We look forward to you staying with us again when next in Dunedin.
Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I think they are trying to fix this property up. There are new flat screen tv's and free unlimited wi-fi. The furniture is old and dated and worn looking. The bathroom was horrible. The sink had a repair that looked like a big glob of snot. There were chips out of the cabinets. The bathroom was small and cramped and looked like something out of the sixties. The breakfast was inconsistent. One morning box juice drinks (37% juice), the next real juice, one morning no yogurt, the next yogurt. The "king" bed was really two bed twins shoved together. At 5'7" I had to sleep with my ankles hanging over the end. It was very, very noisy. Our friends found black mold on their shower head. Don't be misled (as our guide was) by the pictures on the Internet. They are not indicative of the rooms. The cost was included in our trip, so I don't know how it compared to the value. If the city hadn't of been sold out because of a cricket match I would have moved.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before paying and get one as far back from the road as you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. The Shower was fixed immediately the problem was told to us. The Bed is a standard size used in all Motels. Your pre paid breakfast did not include some items you received, we added the ones you mention for free. As standard practise we supply free mini continental breakfasts. The Motel has just had an extensive upgrade, with more to come. We wish you well on your future travels.