“Home away from home”
Review of Arden Street House

Arden Street House
Ranked #34 of 63 Dunedin B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here. I enjoyed it so much last year I returned again.
It is a lovely house with very friendly hosts.
The breakfasts are delightful: fresh fruit salad, toast, cereals, coffee and juice, sitting at the dining table in the bay window overlooking the North-East Valley.
The dinners are excellent value. Healthy, delicious and inexpensive. Better than any of the restaurants in the immediate area.
The rooms are warm and comfortable.
The decor is eclectic, so don't stay here if you are looking for a bland hotel experience.

Room Tip: The single rooms are small but very cosy and warm and have a great view out over the valley.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank anomaly14
There are newer reviews for Arden Street House

Reviewed April 3, 2012

My friend and I were looking to spend one night in a B&B or motel after many days in a camper van or hostel-type lodging (Dec., 2010). We had such a wonderful experience at Arden St House we changed our plans and spent a second night there. We both agreed our stay at Arden St House was one of the highlights of our 5 weeks in NZ! Our lovely hostess, Ms Leppard, showed us a great time. If she serves dinner while you are visiting, by all means, dine with her and her local guests. Worth every penny. You'll have a fun evening of excellent fare and fun conversation. Ms. Leppard is also very knowledgeable about things to do and places to see.

Room Tip: Visit was in Dec. 2010, not May 2011.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Gerry E
Reviewed March 30, 2012

More then one week I stayed at Arden Street House. I had a good time and spend so long as possible. I had my own room in the back of the garden and for this I helped with cleaning, cooking and gardening. I learned a lot. The dinners are delicious and always together with the students and interesting guests and a fresh salad with ingredients from the garden. I highly recommend the rooms of the B&B, there are in English style and quit big. Also the breakfast I served had a high quality. In addition, the owner is very flexibel. At midnight she picked up guests who had problems with their car. I recommend to stay here a day of two, especially, you like to meet people from all over the world :-)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Marita_1985
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My daughter and I booked this place by phone on our way from Queenstown. It sounded good in the Lonely Planet. When we arrived it was the most terrible rain so we rushed into the main house (thinking we were staying there) and it looked nice with people in the kitchen cooking so I happily paid for both of us. Immediately we were shown into another house - which was a walk down a path in the lashing rain - so in no way attached to the main house. This second house was very damp and dark and grotty. We were stunned. The kitchen was tiny and had no space for even a couple to cook in let alone lots of backpackers. I went back to the main house and asked for my money back from Joyce. This was only 10 minutes later. She refused although she could see how unhappy we were. No matter what I said she would not refund me and offered us a room in the main house for extra money!! She said we could join them there for dinner or breakfast - again for a lot more money! We had no option but to stay put that night in a grotty and damp room and we found a lovey Wine bar down the street where at least there was some comfort for a few hours as we couldnt bear the thought of cooking in the kitchen. We are not fussy having travelled the entire west coast in a tiny camper van in all weathers. We had far better accommodation in other backpackers for the same money that had great facilities and lots of atmosphere. This was by far the most depressing place we stayed in our 5 weeks in New Zealand. I think there is a huge difference between the main house that obviously the Lonely Planet wrote their review on - and the small damp grotty place we stayed in which seems to be for backpackers and woofers. Be very careful when you book this place!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed March 11, 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Easy B
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We had a fantastic time staying here. The hosts were fantastic and we had a lovely evening of conversation. The facilities are very nice and the breakfast lovely. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LukeBarnett
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I stayed in the main house and felt very comfortable and safe. The caretakers were very helpful with info about the city and letting me store bags there for an afternoon. The house is decorated in a fun funky way, internet is nice and fast and breakfast is always ready.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends