“Not as good as the Tamaki in Rotorua”

Tamaki Heritage Village
Ranked #125 of 237 things to do in Christchurch
Melbourne
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Not as good as the Tamaki in Rotorua”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I had high expectations when I made a booking for this because my experience at Tamaki Village in Rotorua was exceptional.

However, I was left somewhat disappointed. Firstly, it was difficult to find because signage is not clear and we were left waiting for over 45mins in the wrong carpark. Sure, this was partly our fault... but we did make 5 phone calls and each time was told that someone would collect us from the carpark... so instead of arriving 15mins early for the show, we ended up missing the first 30mins of the show. Not a great start...

The bad points: food was 'so-so' It wasn't fantastic, I did expect a bit better quality, but it was ok, although dessert wasn't included. That was surprising considering how much money we had to pay, I think some simple cakes, ice-cream or fruit would have been nice. The set-up was a bit amateurish, with the shows being housed in sheds... I think we paid a bit too much money for what we got.

The good points: The staff were friendly, but not always helpful (we were left in the carpark for 45mins!). The actors and the show was good, and was interactive in parts and made the audience feel like they were part of the show, loved that.
The actors were happy to have a chat and take photos with us after the show. TheHaka that involves the audience members was awesome and fun.

Tip: look out for the signs to the entrance so you don't miss out on the beginning of the show!

Visited November 2010

Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Could be better”
Reviewed December 16, 2010

We left slightly disappointed. Six of us, ie, my children, wife and in-laws, felt that the show's story didn't come across well. The huts and props were welcome but too empty and simple. The dinner was mediocre, but the haka was enjoyable. Overall, we felt the experience was below what we expected.

australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“The history of the Maori - live the experience! It will touch your heart.”
Reviewed April 26, 2010

In 2003 we took some friends to see JOURNEY OF THE AGES in Rotorua and have always recommended it to EVERYONE I know planning to visit NZ. I've said it is the ONLY Maori show they should see in Rotorua - nothing else can compare!
Earlier this year we went to Christchurch and the first thing I booked was THE CHRONICLES OF UITARA. We were so enthralled with it that we hardly took any pictures or video! It was a lovingly emotive experience and truly deserving of all the awards and praises of which I've read. The Tamaki Brothers team are to be applauded for all their efforts in bringing this part of the story to life.
And I have said it before, but it worth saying again, your website describing the shows is absolutely stunning! My background is advertising and graphic design, so perhaps I appreciate the beauty of such things with an added dimension.
I look forward to seeing the Auckland show when it is ready!

2 Thank kozkan
Melbourne
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Awesome show!”
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Initially I was a bit sceptical about paying $100+ for this sort of thing, but by the middle of it I couldn't believe the value I was getting for my money. I have my wife to thank for 'dragging' me along to this show - it was great! The costume & make-up, the sets, the story, the actors, and the sound/effects were all of a very high standard. I still can't believe they can put on all that and feed the audience for such a low price!

It was very entertaining and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. The shuttle bus even dropped us off at the airport after the show! And lastly, it's always nice to learn a bit about the history of the country you're visiting.

1 Thank TSR71-Nguyen
Narre Warren, Australia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Must see - Christchurch”
Reviewed February 5, 2008

We were collected and taken to the Tamaki Heritage Village by bus, entertained by Mike all the way.
On arrival we were greeted in Maori then in English. We saw arts and crafts taking place and engaged with the maori people asking questions and seeing how they lived before colonisation. Then suddenly the atmosphere changed and we were in the middle of a battle ground before being ushered off to a meeting house. We learned how the introduction of the musket overturned the lives and tradition of the maori culture then the doors opened and we watched the battle which resulted in the death of the warrior chief.
A tram ride moved us through time then we found ourselves at a colonial township. Here we learned the impact of religion, the concept of the Treaty of Waitangi, the introduction of education, the loss of identity and loss of language affected the Maori people. This was then summed up through the world wars to urbanisation, to renaissance of culture through the 70s and through to today when they celebrate a multi-cultural society. All the while being led through the township to a building where we were later entertained with singing of traditional songs and provided a traditional hangi banquet which was delicious. After we had filled our own plates with food several of the children and adults came and sat at the tables with us to eat as well. It was great, they chatted with us and answered our questions. They even asked a few of their own.
After our feast we walked a very short distance to their train station and caught a 100 year old steam train back past the Maori Pa site to our bus.
Characters, costumes and authenticity of delivery was abundant. There were even the children and babies participating in the delivery which radiated the feelings of the people, the confusion and the losses they endured.
An experience not to be missed, even if history does not interest you. Thoroughly enjoyed and would see again, suitable for children to go to, and well worth the money. Photography is permitted throughout the whole tour.

11 Thank callkm