“Good enough”

The Grand Cafe
Ranked #535 of 977 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, New Zealand
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Christchurch
“Good enough”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Nice enough range of food for slightly too much money. Can't complain but not raving about it either.

“Grand Cafe”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was the first time I've been back to the casino since it reopened after the earthquakes, and cafe revamped from buffet to a la carte.

The menu was what I would call limited. I chose the duck as my main, only to be told a few minutes after the waitress took my order, that the duck was off. We were given the wrong menu - evening rather than lunchtime, so hastily I made a decision for the salmon.

Anyway, drink service efficient, didn't have to wait long for our mains. My father disappointed with his pork - it didn't come with greens, ie broccoli or peas etc. But he enjoyed it nevertheless. My salmon was cooked to perfection, side salad of mini greens was lovely.

We chose desert of a sponge pudding (served rather unusually with candy-floss), and icecream sundae.

Didn't opt for the $17 set menu.

Overall, good value as I had a 2 for 1 main voucher.

• Visited October 2012
New Zealand
“Grand Cafe Restaurant”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

A bit sad to see this restaurant was made smaller to accommodate a new bar. I guess this is the result of the earthquake in Christchurch. The food was okay (it was much better when it was buffet style) and I think a bit pricey for what we got. Of course, it's cheap if you're a Players Card member, but when you're not - it can be expensive.

Visited September 2012
“Grand Cafe disappointing”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

After being a fan of the Grand Cafe for some years, my most recent visit for dinner was disappointing. The menu was quite limited and the Roast Pork that my husband and I had was - a) large chunks of roughly hacked meat
b) served on a pile of mashed potato and cubed roast potatoes and roasted carrots - thats it! Oh and (c) covered in dark, strong (tasted burnt) gravy. The shrimp entree was good, no complaints there and the service was ok too, nothing outstanding but ok. Not sure I will be hurrying back. Despite a revamp of the decor in the last year, which is very nice, the service and food are lacking.

• Visited September 2012
“Food was horrible”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Poor service,unhappy staff and the food was very average at best.Wouldn't eat there again.Complained to management and got no where.

Visited September 2012