BeachLife Apartments
$90
The Classic Villa(Christchurch)
$96
$93
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Don't bother booking this place, they are liars with a DISGUSTING attitude!

I travelled down to Christchurch on business for a meeting the following morning and arrived at Beachlife apartments. After calling the number on my confirmation letter for the code to open the gate i was told that they no longer had a room available for me, in fact the very rude man that I had the misfortune of talking to said that it was because the travel agent we used had not followed up on the booking when it was made 7 weeks ago....which is very strange since the trip was only booked 10 days ago!! When I asked if he was some sort of clairvoyant he quickly changed his story to say that I had made the booking 3 weeks ago....again this was complete lies, which I pointed out. I requested to be at least let into the apartment complex to look at at options (which are slim since Christchurch is extremely short of hotels since the earthquake), i also explained I was a female travelling alone and asked what he expected me to do, only to be told that it was "not his problem", after which he hung up the phone!
I am only assume that they are using the lack of hotels to their advantage and giving up rooms to the highest bidder! Although after now reading the other reviews on here I possibly got an easy escape!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EmmaMSmithDerby
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Internet accessible, clean wood floors, fresh towels, shampoo and body wash available.. Full kitchen to make our own meals and a tea jug! Stayed here for a weekend right next to the beach! A little pricy, but Christchurch needs support for a fresh start!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eli M
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am a profession business traveller and spend 80+ nights a year in accommodation across Australia and NZ.

The biggest issue was the bad reviews I read after booking that completely stressed me out before our arrival.

Upon check in I gave the unit a close inspection, it was clean in good order and the linen was also well laundered. I was not ravished by bed bugs, there were a couple of mosquito’s, this is to be expected with hot days and morning rain.

“Self Service” means you have to make you own beds and wash your own dishes, and yes ask for fresh towels and linen when required. (which is standard practice in self service apartments)

Not suitable for elderly or mobility impaired, all units are accessed via stairs. The shower was over the bath with excellent water pressure and very hot.

The location is in one of the older areas of christchurch opposite the beach and adjacent to one of the suburbs hardest hit by the earthquakes. I would rate 3 stars (not 4), Clean, no gym or pool, self service, good parking.

Are the bad reviews actually racially bias as the owners are asian?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Jackie K
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I really wish I had looked at reviews before I stayed here, be warned.
1. Moved in Friday 28th of Sept. They said they changed towels, sheets & clean flat every week. We did not get anything on the following Friday 5th of Oct and on the Saturday we ask when they would be doing it we got some towels from the line where they had just dried and then got forgotten again, when I asked the cleaner the following Tuesday 9th of Oct when the flat would be sorted she said the manager must have forgot to tell her and then went and did it then, although didn’t clean floor, just used dirty towel to clean a few drips that we had dropped on floor and didn’t notice. And somehow she took my flannel and the apartments don’t even provide flannels so its not like she thought it might be theirs. Now this is supposed to be home from home so fair enough, clean as you go, sweep up daily, but have to clean from top to bottom yourself for $160 a night I don’t think so. I walk around in socks and my socks were getting pretty dirty on the bottoms.
2. The television. The picture would keep disappearing so I went and told the manager. He came to flat and said you have to play with the wires as living near the sea the wires corrode a bit. So, whenever the picture went we had to fiddle with wires to make the picture stay. Not good enough. Happened a lot.
3. Went to use the iron, it had wires coming through the sheath, was dangerous, I did tell cleaner and she changed it.
4. No instructions on how to use the combi microwave, we choose this place so we could cook here but it became increasingly hard to or would have to use trial and error to use it.
5. The bed is seriously uncomfortable, the mattress is like straw and makes the most awful noise when you turn over.
6. We booked for just over 5 weeks, (whilst our house was being fixed up) then was told 3 weeks in that we only booked 4 weeks and that they could move us into a 2 bed apartment for the remaining time but for more money, when I questioned that we had booked till the end of Oct he said he could prove I hadn’t, so I asked for that proof but it never arrived!!
7. The neighbour has a dog that they shove in the garden from 6:30am and it barks for ages till they let it back in, and I mean hours.
8. I know it isnt the fault of the accommodation but you really feel the earthquakes near the fault line there. We moved onto another motel closer to our house on the west side of town and seriously wish we had chosen there in the first place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed here with my husband and two children while our house was having Earthquake repairs done. We were booked in for 7 nights left after 5 ..... checked in on the Sunday first impressions wasn't good as we had to lug all our gear up 3 flights of stairs (no lifts here) and as others have said awlful views into neighbouring backyards of peoples property which really for us wasn't a big deal just glad to be having our home repaired but would have been extreamly disapointed if we were staying here on holiday. BEWARNED BED BUGS were in our room left straight away Friday morning owner wasn't helpful didn't even come to the room when we rung him also he didn't sound very surprised at all !!!!!!! He denied the fact and accused us of taking them there ...... HA! He's a liar unhelpful and the place was dirty !!!! we were very lucky we saw them as we could have brought them home and could of infested our home with them , once you have them very hard to get rid of .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family