“Filthy, Overpriced, Lousy Management.”

BeachLife Apartments
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I wish I had seen some of these reviews before I booked. We arrived late to find the apartment was still being cleaned....at 4.30 in the afternoon....went away after being given a key, and told it would be done in 45 minutes. We moved our suit cases in just after 6pm, the floor was so filthy your feet stuck to it, cupboard doors out of alignment, no toiletries, filthy walls and shower glass in the bathroom.....and on it goes.

The manager moved us to another room just after 7.15pm downstairs with a courtyard. Although this was a bit better....shower glass was still dirty, pillows like pancakes, bed as hard as a rock, saggy inner spring mattress in the second room, dirty cutlery....and on it goes.
Outside was a garden bed the manager was growing strawberries and vegies in, as well as the local cats using it as a toilet.
The manager had removed all the dishwashers, washing machines, and dryers, and converted one of the garages into a pay laundry.

Overall, this is one dump to avoid. I know it is sad to see the devastation that has happened around the New Brighton area, and as we found, there is a high crime rate due to the number of squatters living in the empty damaged houses......but this is no excuse for the pathetic state of these units.

I dont know what idiot rates these, but in my books this does NOT EVEN RATE AS A BAD 3 STAR RATING.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, and enjoy your holiday.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Tom S

Reviewed September 16, 2011

I was very skeptical about renting an apartment here, after reading all the reviews... came in first to inspect it myself and guess what... I checked in straight away! It's clean, well priced, comfortable, warm, has free internet, sky tv and it's just across the street from the beach.
I was looking for a long term accommodation, stayed in 2 different motels in CHCH before finally moving in here!

Room Tip: I prefer the ones with the large living area
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MrMarcin
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Let me give you a brief summary of what happened to us. We booked almost a year in advance an apartment at BeachLife. We were supposed to stay there for a week during Oct11 for the World Rugby match but unfortunately for all of us and specially the people of Christchurch the earthquake changed all the plans. The games that were going to take place there were cancelled.
The advance we gave the owner of the apartment was never given back to us. He kept our money!! Definitely not a person to trust…

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2011

The apartments are quite well kitted out except I noticed the filter for the airconditioning inside was chocked full of dust and had not obviously cleaned out (if ever). The Internet kept on dropping out and the rooms were not serviced daily (which suprised me as the tariff is not exactly budget). The kitchen amenities are adequate (the oven was one of those combined microwave/ conventional ovens)
The choice of SKY TV Channels is more than most Hotels offer.
Overall I would recommend stayihg here--just bear in mind it is not five star!!!! It is just a shame the little things mentioned above let the show down.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Tipene
Reviewed May 23, 2011

After reading other reviews we cut out stay from 2 nights to 1 night before arriving. We were pleasantly surprised with the unit, small but comfortable, bright, and clean. I had booked this unit because I was keen to cook meals. Found the kitchen had lovely fixtures, stove and range hood, but the kitchen utensil were very basic. No Micro-wave jug or bowl, No strainer, Chopping board had seen better days, and was originally cheap and nasty. The 2 saucepans were so small, I could not cook spaghetti in them, and had to use the wok-frypan. The Rubbish bin in the kitchen was bathroom size. Also there was only 2 complimentary tea bags. These are not expensive items, but are items I would expect to find when they advertise a kitchen in the apartment. On saying this we would stay again, but next time, we would probably go out for dinner.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rh0nnie
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We stayed here with our two young children and I would not stay again! We checked in to a downstairs 2 bedroom apartment which at first glance seemed quite nice. However when I put my bag down on the bed I noticed the duvet was covered in stains. I then looked in the bathroom and found that the toilet was not clean at all and neither was the shower which was full of hairs!!! There were random hairs everywhere even on the kids beds! We complained to management and they apologised saying the cleaner had been in a rush! We were then moved to a second story apartment which I checked before we went in and it seemed cleaner than the other one.
It was not as clean as I would like for $180 tho!! The floors were extremly dusty and the shower was showing signs of not being cleaned thouroughly for a while! The towels were quite used too and none of the utensils or glasses seemed properly clean. Overall cleanliness was extremely poor! The only thing that saved it was that it was pretty new but in a couple of years that wont help this place!!!
It is also in a really dodgy area and was quite noisy!
I would not recommend this place!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Maza223
Reviewed January 17, 2011

although mostly clean this room wasn't worth the price paid, and that included the sore back from the very hard beds and inch thick pillows. at $200plus a night i would have expected a bit more quality than this.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kiwicacher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Merivale Manor
#3 of 146 in Christchurch
Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch
Rendezvous Hotel Christchurch
#12 of 146 in Christchurch

Been to BeachLife Apartments? Share your experiences!