“Spotless rooms and lovely staff”

Airport Delta Motel
Ranked #29 of 145 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Mornington, Australia
“Spotless rooms and lovely staff”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed here whilst on a work trip and due to it being a motel and near an airport I wasn't expecting much however it far exceeded my fussy standards!
I checked in late at night and the key to my room was exactly where I was told it would be.
My room was lovely and clean and very comfortable.
I was very happy with the bathroom and this is usually an area in a hotel that I am most particular.
I had laundry done here and it was returned to my room by that evening which was an excellent help when I needed clean uniform for the next day.
I met the owners who were very welcoming and lovely people. Nothing was to much trouble even when I had to disturb them after hours when I had locked myself out of my room.
Even after I had checked out the excellent service continued. I had left a bracelet in the room, which I had not realised until they emailed to let me know that they had it posted back to me in Australia.
I was very happy with the time I spent at the Airport Delta Motel and would thoroughly recommend this accomodation to others.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank OllyMc
Lisa E, Manager at Airport Delta Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Pleased to hear we can please a guest with 'fussy standards'.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New Zealand
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Originally I wasn't going to write a review for this property. The nearly 12-year old and I jetted in from KL after midnight and out again to Auckland at 9am the next morning - and judging the Delta on a mere 8 hours acquaintance (mostly sleeping) just didn't seem fair. But then I thought about it again. A short, sharp experience when you're a bit fragile really puts a hotel to the test - there's no room for error.
And the Airport Delta came up trumps. For starters it's circa 7 minutes from the airport, door to door. Although gotta say the $NZ23 for the taxi was a little steep :-p Lovely driver though, good strapping Canterbury bloke, and very helpful with our heavy bags.
It's a well lit and visually appealing property, which gives a good impression from the get-go. Out came the bags, and onwards with the check-in process (arranged previously via internet). Frankly I was a bit trepidatious. At 1am after long haul en famille you do not want things to be nearly right, you want it absolutely no-worries exactly right, as you have ZERO tolerance for faffing around. And it was. The key was in the easily found dropbox right where Mike said it would be, and there were no annoying niggly little things.
Hint #1: Carry a little notebook for hotel addresses, metro stations and dropbox combination numbers, saves angst when braindead.
Hint #2: Pop in the ear plugs, as others come later and there's no way you can unload quietly on a still Canterbury evening.
Those important little things: there was enough light to see into the drop box, the keys had big plain easily read numbers so you didn't have to ask the 12 year old or fumble for your glasses, and ours was clearly labeled with my name. Zero ambiguity. There is a little ramp instead of a step into the room, so you don't have to heave your heavy suitcase noisily over the sill - or up stairs, as clever Mike put us in a downstairs room. Zero hassle. Nice warm fluffy towels in the bathroom (with heated floor - soooo grateful for that in 11C), complimentary squares of Whittakers chocolate to sweeten us up, the right kind of milk in the fridge (they asked), good quality sheets, boofy pillows, comfy beds, correct room configuration, beautiful tap water, restful decor - everything was totally spot on. Sparkling clean, crisp, restful, quiet and efficient on check out. Finally met Mike in person, another strapping Canterbury man (there don't seem to be any other sort!) who understands brain dead people and has good strong espresso on offer at reception.
The over-riding impression was a smooth operation run by smart people. Exactly what you need at 1am. Well done Airport Delta - we'll be back.

Room Tip: I would ask for a downstairs room, as lugging bags upstairs doesn't appeal when you're not t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Victoria451
Lisa E, Manager at Airport Delta Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Being an airport motel we have a lot of one night guests and this is exactly the impression we hope to make on all of them. Excellent tip for the late night arrival - not only will a downstairs room save you carrying your bags up the stairs it is nice to open the drapes in the morning and sit out on your own table and chairs in the garden.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We had an excellent stay at this motel in Unit 1 after a longish flight from eastern Canada and before getting our rental car to tour the south Island. I choose this hotel because the Copthorne Hotel Commodore where we had stayed in our previous trip was not available (the hotel situation is difficult in Christchurch as most of the downtown hotels are still closed after the February earthquake). That turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the Airport Delta Hotel is, in my view, a better and cheaper option for those who do not need the facilities of a full service hotel. We were picked up promptly at the airport. The room was absolutely immaculate in addition of being large, comfortable and nicely decorated. There is a small nice garden in the back and side of the room with a table and two chairs but we did not use it as the weather did not cooperate. Internet is available at a fee but the price is reasonable (6.50 NZD for 24 hours with 300Mb). The only slight downside is the lack of dining options nearby for those, like us, without a car or unwilling to use the nice cooking facilities in the room. There is a mini market and a few non-inspiring take away stores a few minutes away on food and the hotel has also some basic food supplies on sale. We eventually ended up at the Monteith’s Brewery Bar where we had an excellent meal and beer. The hotel had offered to drop us there but we decided to go on foot. It was farther than we expected (20-25 minutes) but it was a good way to get some exercise after a long flight. We stayed also for another night on our way back to Christchurch in a second floor unit. The unit was as comfortable but it lacked the garden patio of the ground floor unit
Room tip: Choose Unit 1 which is at the end of the building toward the road and has additional windows on the side of the unit and an additional and more private patio. It is the closest unit to the road and is potentially more exposed to street noise but that was not an issue because of decent sound proofing and light traffic at night

Room Tip: Choose Unit 1 which is at the end of the building toward the road and has additional windows on the...
Lisa E, Manager at Airport Delta Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Excellent tip. Room one is a lovely room that gives you two options for sitting outside. Generally (if the weather cooperates) you can always find a nice sunny spot to read the paper.
Wamberal
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed in this motel at the beginning and end of our trip. It is modern, clean and a well appointed self catering motel. The beds are great the ensuite modern and well appointed .The noise insulation between rooms is excellent. Close to the airport - but no aircraft noise. The management was really helpful on both occasions that we stayed and made a great start and end to our trip possible. Will certainly use again.

Room Tip: if traveling with lots of luggage - try to get a downstairs room - very easy access for bags etc.
Lisa E, Manager at Airport Delta Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Our guests are often surprised by how quiet our units are. The double glazing helps a lot.
Sydney Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I overnighted here recently from Sydney en route to Invercargill. I was in an upstairs room. The room was modern and all the fittings were top quality (unusual for a airport hotel). Even had under floor heating.

Airport pickup worked like clockwork although the process seemed a but haphazard. I could not see a contact board for airport hotels when I arrived at CHC. I happened to have the confirmation printed so phoned the hotel and they happened to have a van on its way to the airport pickup someone else so it all worked ok and I was lucky.

Only two minor frustrations...
1) at checkin the phone kept ringing and the lady who was on duty by herself kept answering and dealing with callers while me and others stood there waiting to check in. Calllers were looking for accommodation and the area was full - yet she was pre occupied with them rather than the paying customers in front of her. I know she was just trying to be helpful to these callers but it was frustrating to be so close to your room (yet so far). Better approach would be to pick up the call and explain she is serving customers and can they wait - or call back in 10 mins.
2) I was on 8.40am fight out the next morning - and reception opens 8am. I mentioned I would need shuttle to airport at 8am to make my flight (or if not possible I would make other arrangement). I came down to wait for reception to open (8am) at about 7.45am. Weird thing is there are two reception offices and it turns out I was waiting at the wrong one (the reception office where I checked in). I eventually called them at about 8.10am to be told to go over to the other reception to check out - other side of the car park. I made the flight (just) so it all worked out ok - but it would have been good to be advised to check out at the other reception office - or have a sign on the door of the closed office advising of this.

I am being picky though - I mention these things because I would want to know if it was my business. All in all it was spotless modern motel with nicely appointed room and good value. Would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Lisa E, Manager at Airport Delta Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
We really appreciate this feedback as it has provided the basis for our staff training program. On the night in question, the airport closed due to fog and our staff member was fielding dozens of telephone calls. This particular staff member was relatively new and not experienced at dealing with the volume of calls and check-ins that happened as a result of the airport closure. As a result of this feedback further training was given to her on how to manage multiple check-ins and calls when under pressure. Front of house guests should always be our first priority!
We do on occasion divert guests to the Reception at our partner motel next door. As we are a small, family run motel this gives us the ability to take days off here and there. Of course, this should have been explained to the guest.
Bowling Bank, UK
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We arrived at Christchurch Airport early evening for our first night at the Airport Delta at the start of our trip around South island. We were also booked in for our last night in NZ before flying home. These were bookings which we had made, and paid fo,r in advance through Trailfinder. On arrival we couldn't find any way of contacting the hotel to come and pick us up, a free airport shuttle service was one of the reasons we chose this hotel, but after some inept help from the Airport Welcome Team the hotel was contacted. We were told, via the girl from Budget cars, who had made the call on our behalf, that no-one was available to come and get us and we would have to make our own way to the hotel. Eventually we were directed to a Shuttle Bus who charged us $25 dollars to take us the three miles to the hotel! As we explained later we understood that someone might not have been available at that time but we would have been prepared to wait. (We have been told this sum will be refunded to our account by the hotel) When we arrived at the hotel we were shown to a lovely room which was spacious, light, and clean with modern furnishings and fittings. We were, therefore, somewhat mollified although our the confusion at the airport was not a good start. We also assumed that the room was the one we had booked and paid for and that we could expect either the same room, or similar, when we returned.
When we arrived back at the hotel after our trip we were met by Mike who told us there was no room available at the Airport Delta and he had arranged for us to have a room in the motel on other side of the road. The reason given was that the hotel was full and that the room we had had outgoing had been allocated to someone who was going to take it for three weeks and such a long booking could not be missed(!) This didn't explain why no other room was available for us. We were rather surprised as we felt that a booking which had been paid for in advance should be honoured by the establishment with whom booking had specifically been made. We were led across the road to the Airport Palms Hotel which we discovered had only been open three days, were given a premptory introduction to the hostess - who was most welcoming and friendly, Mike took our voucher and left. The room we were given was clean, comfortable and had everything we needed but was not of the same standard as the room we had had at Airport Delta. Eventually, I went across to speak to Mike as I felt it was fair to tell him what I was going to write as my Trip Advisor Review. Mike seemed surprised that we were not satisfied and only wanted to discuss what was wrong with the room we had been given in the Airport Palms. I stressed there was nothing wrong with it and, indeed, we had been given a warm welcome, but that our complaint was to do with the Airport Delta. A short time later Lisa knocked on our door with a complimentary continental breakfast and apologies. We again pointed out that the room we had been given was not of an eqivalent standard to the room we had stayed at in the Airport Delta to which she replied we had been upgraded on our arrival to compensate for not being picked up! This had not been said on our arrival, indeed nothing had been said except to offer by way of explanation for not being picked up that we had been expected into Christchurch airport at 2 o'clock which surprised us as at no time had any one asked us what time we would be arriving at the airport. We were rather incredulous to be told at this juncture that we had been upgraded. Further apologies followed.
We had looked forward to finishing our holiday where it had began and felt we had been treated rather dismissively in spite of Lisa's efforts to explain and rectify the situation. The bottom line remains that a booking should be honoured and that the room we had paid for should have been available to us. Iif the hotel was full no more bookings should have been taken and/or re-directed 'over the road'. We were told by Lisa that our experience was not usual for the Airport Delta which was unfortunate for us - we remain disappointed.
Thank goodness for the pleasantness of the lady who looked after us at the Airport Palms who took us to the airport without any fuss and who provided excellent service.

2 Thank Linda D
Lisa E, Manager at Airport Delta Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
We are pleased to hear that these guests found our accommodation, ‘spacious, light, clean and modern’. We are a small, family owned and operated motel and for this reason we take it to heart when we are unable to meet or exceed any of our guests’ expectations.
As with any reservation made through Trailfinder we asked them to provide us with an ETA. In this case the time given to us was 2pm. A confirmation was sent to the guests with the same wording as on Trailfinder detailing how to phone us for free from any payphone for their airport shuttle. The confirmation states, ‘please call us on 0800 800 825 once you have collected your luggage’. We had a shuttle driver ready and waiting for the call at 2pm. At 6pm we had a call from someone at the Airport. It is not the responsibility of a car rental company or the Airport Information to phone us but I am disappointed to learn that they did not give us the opportunity to speak directly with the guests so that we could make arrangements for them to get to us. Although the guests did not arrive when we expected we were more than happy to pay for their transport (the $25 was refunded to their credit card).
Once they arrived we ensured that they were upgraded to one of our premium rooms, we offered suggestions for dinner options and then assisted with making arrangements for their onward journey on the Trans Alpine.
In regards to the return stay....
As a result of the Christchurch earthquake almost 50% of motel rooms have been lost and on the night in question there was no accommodation available in Christchurch at all. We had some guests who had been staying with us for several weeks after their home was severely damaged. The builders were taking a lot longer than anticipated and they asked to extend their stay. This was entirely possible except for this particular night. We attempted to contact the guests but they did not provide us with contact details whilst in NZ. We had hoped that the guests would empathise with the family concerned and did our best to compensate them for the inconvenience.
Rather than cancelling the reservation we ensured that they had a brand new room only 25 metres from us, walked them over and introduced them to their host, provided them with a complimentary breakfast, transported them to a local restaurant and arranged a late check-out and airport transfer the following morning.
Transferring a guest to another motel is something that we would always endeavour to avoid. This was an extenuating circumstance and we believe we made every attempt to compensate the guests.
Feilding, New Zealand
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Modern units located within minutes of the airport. Quiet and comfortable with good service. I have stayed here several times (including after the Feb quake) and the motel has been consistently been a well presented and pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011
Lisa E, Manager at Airport Delta Motel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
We always like to welcome back a repeat guest.