“meh”

Ranked #247 of 1,075 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Original site of the very first Lone Star New Zealand restaurant & bar which opened nearly 30 years ago in 1988. Lone Star Manchester St is dedicated to serving legendary food & drink and proving an exceptional dining experience to our thousands of valued guests so join us for an iconic Kiwi lunch or dinner. We are open every day from 12.00pm
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I really do not like moaning, however i am going to..my sons birthday
Tried to book a table, told to come at a 6 but expect a wait, the bar area was busy but not full, there were dining tables available and we were mistakingly sat straight away the waitress had thought we were another party, so that saved us from buying drinks from the bar whilst you are made to wait to be sat.

After around 10 mins sat the waitress asked us if we were ready to order, i asked if we could order drinks first as we had not been offered, 3 of the parties drinks arrived, steinlarger pure when we had ordered classic, we let that pass, the waitress came back and asked if we could order, i asked if she could bring the rest of our drinks order over first, as the rest of the party were drinking and two of us were still waiting for ours. She said yes but can i take your order.

Some of the staff do not recognise that people like to eat and drink at the same time and stared very blankly at me when i requested she completed her drinks order first, we ordered a jug of margherita, it truly arrived in a small jug, not a small pitcher, at $30 bit of a disapointment, my martini glass which was also below usual size was chipped.

The mains are expensive, $38 for steak, but thats new zealand for you, not sure why. No burgers on the menu which is odd for an american themed restaurant, son ordered nacho's as a main,they were really crap no fresh salsa, cheese had been over microwaved and had turned plastic, I had fillet steak medium, the pan must have been too hot it was nice and brown and seared on the out side, but in the middle as i sliced was raw, i do like pink meat but not raw. I ate round it, i know i should have sent it back, but i didnt as the waitress hadnt come to check if all was ok with our meals. The ribs every one else had were a little stringy not a huge amount of meat.

The other gripes are loading plates up with cheap mass produced potatoes, and we told the waitress it was my sons birthday he was 19, we were told to do so by the front desk, i think you get a small desert with a sparkler, this didnt happen, my plate, with the raw meat on was taken whilst everyone else was still eating.

It was my sons birthday we really tried to enjoy our evening, but left feeling ripped off, with the food and service. Again the nachos are shocking

Due to the earthquakes we are limited for dining options and this place has a captured audience for now, please provide training to your wait staff, we have also travelled throughout the usa and eaten at many usa eateries, nice try but no cigar.

cam t, Director of Sales at Lone Star Manchester St, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thanks very much for your feedback, we have just addressed the problem with seating and taking food orders too soon and only hours before receiving your comments our managers had discussed and put in place at better system for communication between the door and floor staff.

We understand different guests wish to dine at different speeds and I like yourself prefer a drink first. We are constantly training our rising stars on the floor as we have only recently opened and I'm sure you will see an improvement in service each time you return.

We love our food but every table should ALWAYS be meal checked to ensure you are too.

Margarita pitchers are $18 now! Thanks again, The Lone Star team.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The original Lone star at 26 Manchester street in Christchurch recently reopened after the earthquakes and is now better than ever. I have been there 5 times since it opened again and each time i have been extremely impressed by the service. The waiters and waitresses were very nice and helpful, the bar staff never let me stay there for too long with an empty glass, politely pushing me to get another but not being too demanding or pushy that i do. The food was served after a very reasonable time and even on a busy night the meals never took too long, not to mention that the food was some of the best tasting food i have ever had at any restaurant. I have been to the other 2 Lone Star's in Christchurch and neither of them even came close to the amount of flavor that burst forth from the plate.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The food was great - everybody enjoyed what they ordered and there was plenty of it. Good choice on menu.

Nice wine choice too

The service was a bit sporadic - sometimes having to wait a while for water or to have drinks order taken

Nice touch to bring out a free dessert for the 3 members of out group with birthdays that week

Reviewed August 23, 2013

New build on their old site in Manchester Street. Had a great atmosphere and seems bigger than the old restaurant. Food was delicious. Staff were fantastic and got our order exactly right even though we had some unusual crazy requests :) Cocktails were completely over priced though for what they were, Mostly ice in the glass, took about 1 minute to drink and then left with a glass full of ice! $14 - not good value for money compared to the meals :( And it is a pain that they dont take reservations too. Overall a good night though.

1  Thank eganh1
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Usual standard for a Lone Star. Friendly attentive service. I had the Lasoo of Hog. Beautifully cooked and delicious. Slaw a little bland and seated beside a large noisy group. But that is Lone Star. Enjoyed the meal.

1  Thank DougieNZ1