“Freshly roasted surprise”

Cuisines: European, Steakhouse, Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We arrived in Christchurch and wanted someplace with local cuisine and good coffee. The Coffee House is a unique combination of an authentic coffee establishment and bona vide restaurant.

The food was better than we expected, with it being part of a cafe. We enjoyed the pasta appetizer, the pork main course and the lamb main course. The pork was a little fatty around the edges but everything else was pretty good.

Ambiance felt a little cramped at times. It was very loud and voiced carried. Not the most intimate atmosphere.

Service was average. Staff was eager to help but seemed a little inexperienced at times.

Price was competitive and I think that overall it was reasonably priced.

I think the coffee was supurb. An added bonus was the fact that they roast their own beans.

For a casual dinner or quick stop for coffee I suggest The Coffee House. For a formal dinner or something intimate I would look elsewhere.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Excellent food. I got the steak sandwich and my partner the chicken sandwich. Amazing flavors and the chips was so delicious, one of the best I had in Christchurch.
For dessert i got the chocolate brownie, was really rich and moist.

Definitely will go back there.

1  Thank Bruno M
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We just stumbled across this place while walking through Christchurch, and it turned out to be amazing. They made the most delicious lamb with butternut squash. The desserts were also fantastic. I had a five-spice creme brûlée. It's a casual atmosphere in an old house. I will definitely go back.

1  Thank cat_bacon
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Excellent food, I had the entree platter selection (beautifully presented) and a rhubarb / pistachio sponge stack ... delicious food, and has a nice outdoor seating area. The desserts display is frankly dangerous - so many wonderful treats :)

1  Thank nduk
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Great little restaurant amongst the remains of the office blocks. The coffee was fantastic, and the breakfast excellent. As a family of five we were served quickly and made to feel welcome even though we had rocked up on a Sunday morning with no reservation. Definitely recommend the chunky pancakes with bacon, bananas, strawberries and maple syrup.