“Is this the best pitta kebabs (souvlaki) in town?”
Review of Topkapi

Topkapi
Ranked #742 of 1,074 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We offer a relaxed, open and friendly environment where you can get a variety of food and or beverages to suit any occasion. Our Turkish & Persian themed decor offers a unique experience and we offer indoor and outdoor dining. Our venue is available for hire . , all prepared on site by our experienced kitchen staff. We are a fully licensed restaurant & bar and we also offer BYO (Wine only). For a delicious three course meal we charge a flat rate of $47.50 per person and there is a $7.00 corkage fee per bottle if you prefer BYO, however we also offer an extensive wine list. Taking its name from the mid-fifteenth century palace in Istanbul, Topkapi is inspired by the rich history of the opulent Middle east. The restaurant uses the rich influences of Turkish and Persian cuisine to consistently produce delicious dishes for its customers, tapping in to the unique flavours and spices Middle Eastern food is renowned for. Unique flavours are accentuated in the menu’s. The lamb rack and back strip dished are all cooked traditionally on a charcoal grill – which the restaurant had especially installed to preserve the meat’s natural flavours – is a favourite for its tenderness. among other menu favourites, is the award-winning drinks selection. From the Denizili region, Topkapi’s Angora dry white wine is the light and fruity choice, while Yakut, which is known for being the best-selling red wine in Turkey, mixes spice with cherry and strawberry flavours, giving it its rich red colour. For those who like beer, the selection is vast. However, for an authentic Turkish experience, international award-winning and premium beer, Efes. A night at Topkapi wouldn’t be complete without its live entertainment offering. Belly dancers are scheduled to perform every Friday and Saturday night for 20 to 30 minutes and are often the highlight of the evening for diners, Belly dancers can also be requested for other nights of the week for functions and customers might also take advantage of access to a shisha pipe on special occasions. Topkapi is well-known for its overall Middle Eastern experience. With fresh and healthy cuisine, a relaxing but charged atmosphere, and staff who appreciate every customer, it’s a sought-after lunch or dinner option for guaranteed exotic flair. Topkapi has been Open since 1990 in Christchurch. · Topkapi, 64 Manchester St, is open from 11.00am until late, Monday to Friday and from 4pm until late on Saturday and Sunday. ·To make a booking, phone 379 4447.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We only spent one night in Christchurch and we came here as we passed it on our way to Black Betty's for breakfast. You need to book as it was brimming when we arrived at 6pm. The pitta kebabs are great value - they were huge and tasty, as was the mixed tips for starters. It may just be the night we came but it attracts larger groups, so it will not be a quiet night out. There was a raucous 'boyz night out' when we were there. Nothing out of control and quite entertaining watching Kiwi men enjoy themselves!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Had a social club outing here last week. Really enjoyed the night, service was excellent and the set menu for the large group went really well. One minor complaint was that they did not have a fish/seafood option for those "semi" vegetarians, however they all loved the food anyway.

All of the food came out within minutes of each other which was a good considering there was 20 of us and the restaurant was busy.

I would recommend the place.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I was treated to a birthday dinner here with a close friend. We got the corner seat, low down on cushions for a real treat! A glass of bubbles to start along with the mixed starter - a nice taste of spreads to cover most flavours. For our mains we both went with Kebabs, they were huge! We couldn't finish them, so took them as doggy boxes.
A lovely evening, great staff and delicious food!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I don't know much about Turkish food at all. But went to this place when one of my very good friends want to celebrate something. I find the food above average. Whether it is authentic Turkish or not, I wouldn't know. But I finished everything I ordered and the serving is quite big. The atmosphere of the restaurant is enhanced by the fun belly dancing lady who asked everyone to join the dancing with her. My friends all had a great time. While I find the food filling and above average, I wouldn't really go back to become their regulars for takeaways. But I enjoyed my experience there, and I know that if anyone else would chose to dine there and ask me to join, I wouldn't hesitate!

Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

After hearing good things about this place, we decided to give it a go. We walked in and it seemed lovely, the place was buzzing. We got given drink menus and then got told someone would be back soon to serve us. With no one back within 15 minutes we had to ask them if we could order drinks. The way the order both drinks and food is ridiculous, couples had to order separately under each name to apparently make it easier at the end. Ordering food also took a while, with staff being inattentive. Half way through my cider, I noticed a dirty bottle cap floating under the ice in my draught cider. I complained and got given a new one which seemed like a hassle to the waitstaff. Mains finally came and yes they were nice but we were all expecting something a little more exciting. At the end we went up to pay. As I mentioned earlier, everything you ordered went under your name so to pay for couple's they once again acted like this was a hassle. Overall we felt like we were an inconvenience for the staff here. I would not go back.

12  Thank Steph B