“Busy night but service bit sloe”

Speights Ale House Tower Junction
Ranked #759 of 1,006 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Busy night but service bit sloe”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Went there as 2 couples sat upstairs which was bit off putting when staff dropped a meal on the stairs very noisy. Drinkd on beer list were actually withdrawn from sale but menu not corrected. Bit disappointing to take our overseas guests there as the meals were ok but not great. Might have been just a bad night for the place but when you spend $270 it annoys you.

1 Thank OllyGirlCanterbury

Kiwi NZ
“Bad service Below Average food”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went there with two couples this week and found the service extremely poor. Firstly when we arrived we waited at the bar for about 10min while the four bar staff milled around talking and changing bottles of spirits etc. There was only one other person being served and when one of the staff finally came over he seemed put out at having to serve us. He slammed a glass of wine down on the counter and was overly gruff. The food was not great. My wife had a steak which was tough and grissly. The smoked fish cakes I had were tasty but pretty greasy. I went to the bar for more drinks and watched a female staff member make a cocktail but when she finished she sucked up some of the drink that was in the stars and swallowed it right in front of me. She said 'what do you want' and when I ordered a non-alcoholic drink for a pregnant friend I enquired about the bitters being alcoholic she said its OK theres not much in it. I refused ordering another drink. I would not go back again. If the manager reads this then I suggest he sort out his staff as they need an absolute rocket. If it was my business they would be down the road.

• Visited January 2013
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Disgusting meal”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had the chicken and it was extremely dry and overcooked. They had the most disgusting gravy poured over the top, made of carrots and celery, completely overpowered the meal. I would never go again, a pity because Speights Ferrymead and Bealey have beautiful meals.

Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Good Meal”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Extensive menu, with lots of options. Very large meals if a light eater a main is a good size to share. Obviously the beer is good with lots of choices. We had the chichen filo's a little overcooked for my liking however very tasty and the gourmet icecream is divine.

Visited January 2013
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Wouldn't go back!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Went there this week with another couple expecting good quality pub-style meals and good friendly service. Sadly we were very disappointed! On arrival we approached 3 staff members who were all stood chatting near the restaurant seating area, we were totally ignored by all 3 of them and eventually had to interrupt their gossip to ask for a table (we should have walked out then!) The food when it arrived was poorly presented (nothing like the pictures on their advertising), the pork meal was over-salted, the steaks were below average and the seafood chowder (usually my favorite) was luke warm and the worst I have had, tasting strongly of canned cream with very little seafood in it. The place did not seem very busy but no-one came to our table to ask how our meals were. Our worst dining experience in a long time, and not cheap either with mains at nearly $40 a head!

• Visited January 2013