“The Pegasus Arms came highly recommended by a friend”

Pegasus Arms Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #80 of 977 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, New Zealand, International, European, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“The Pegasus Arms came highly recommended by a friend”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

A friend told me to be sure to check out the Pegasus Arms when I was in CHCH.

On the good side, it is nicely located beside the river, the decor was pleasant enough and the waitress was friendly.

On the downside was the food. I'm not much for black pepper. I just had a burger with chips and a side salad. The burger seemed like it was coated in pepper - the fries came with pepper already on them - even the salad tasted like it had lots of pepper in the dressing. I took about three bites of the burger a couple of fries and a quick taste of the salad.

If each of the parts of the meal came without this "coating" I would probably have enjoyed the meal. A piece of advice for the cook that night? Give your patrons the chance to add what they want to taste.

the beer was good though - no pepper!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Terry F

• Korean first
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Good Lamb and Steak in a Pub Setting”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Handled a large party without an issue, attentive service and a menu for the meat lover. They were featuring specials of roast beef as well as roast lamb. I had a "king" steak that would rival and top end steakhouse in the US at a much more reasonable price.

• Visited May 2013
Sydney
“So glad we found this place!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stumbled onto the Pegasus Arms after exploring the Re-Start area of Christchurch. What a find! The service was friendly, fast and efficient and the food was delicious. Portions were generous and the price was reasonable. We sat inside as we had kids with us but the beer garden (with its pool table) looked very inviting as well. The staff went out of their way to help, even offering to get us a map when we asked directions to the nearest supermarket. Thank you so much Pegasus Arms!

• Visited April 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible, terrible service!!!!!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Being from Christchurch I have been into the Pegasus Arms on a number of occassions. I've always had a good time there and never had any issues.......that was until I met a doorman that I hope I never run into again!!! It was Saturday night (April 27th) and my friends and I were celebrating one of my final nights out (I'm leaving town). Our first choice for a bar to have a beer at was the Pegasus Arms, even though we'd had dinner in Belfast (on the other side of town). Without boring you with the details the doorman (didn't catch his name but he was wearing a turban) left us standing on the footpath for over 20 minutes giving us the excuse "I have to wait for the bar manager before I let you in). It was not overly busy inside, and while we stood there in the cold a number of patrons left the bar.

I asked to speak to the Manager and he told me no. We left (with a distinct sour taste in our mouths) and I told the chap he should really think about what this kind of behaviour does to the reputation of the establishment.

We won't be going back there again, thee are too many good bars and resataurants in Christchurch!! Someone sack that door man!!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jaronm255118
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Way more than expected!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We are traveling from Australia and only stopped in Christchurch for one night. The girl at the hotel said to stop at the Pegasus Arms for a beer. We expected a small, local pub (as the town is not built up at the moment.) We got incredible service, food, and beers. Could not be happier! Thank you Pegasus Arms! We will be back next time!

• Visited March 2013