“Busy Saturday Night”

Little India
Ranked #167 of 980 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We have chosen to present some of the more characteristic, yet legendary dishes from North India, especially the Punjab. Our preparation makes our food beautiful to behold and addictive to the palate.
“Busy Saturday Night”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We were booked recently on a Saturday night for a table for six. Bought our own wine but the men ordered beers & considering we arrived a bit late the staff were great! We took our time with the ordering as wanted a variety of dishes to share. Ordered a dish each plus naan bread. Had pakoras & raita to start us off. The pakoras a little on the dry side but all the main dishes were lovely. No problem with 'doggy bag' at the end as there was quite a bit left over. The restaurant seemed to cope well with being busy which is a plus. Most enjoyable & good to find out they also do takeaways & deliveries. Our favourite Indian for 2014.

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Christchurch, New Zealand
“MALABARI PRAWN and VINDALOO - The Best Ever Worldwide!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have eaten Indian Meals in many parts of the world (except the Indian Sub-continent) and wish to state that the LITTLE INDIAN (LI) chain of Restaurants is THE BESTEST EVER. Where-ever you eat in NZ the standard is the same, EXCELLENT, the SERVICE perfect, the prices consistantly reasonable, the take-out service a breeze. All the chefs prepare the Menu according to Madame Gill's Recipes. I have NEVER had a meal I didn't enjoy. My special loves are thee MALABARI PRAWN and any VINDALOO dish (Hot, and they tailor your request accordingly at the time of cooking, not just put another spoon of chilli flakes in at the last moment). If you like fish curry (like in Goa or Fiji), then they make them too, and so good, Naan Breads are light, fluffy and oh, so moreish. I come here weekly when in town, first at New Regent's Street (pre 2012) and now at Merivale. There are other excellent LIs in Auckland etc. SO IF YOU NEED A "RUBY" then LI is the Place, Thank you Jose Pallippat and friends for your EXCELLENTISSIMO Meals and Gentlemanly Service. I will certainly be coming AGAIN and agaimn and a*g*a*I*n. Anyway next time it is Simon's shout.

• Visited August 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow what an evening & what a place :)”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I were given the gift voucher of Little India by my son, with one other couple to celebrate my anniversary .We live in Prebbleton, Christchurch & usually go to a Indian Restaurant at rolleston which is very close our place . But this was our first time in Little India.This was an experience that was like no other! The service was amazing, the food was superb, and the atmosphere was welcoming,staff was polite, not very flashy decor, nice ambience and of course brilliantly executed food.
We dined on a Saturday evening & we walked in without a reservation, the restaurant was very busy.Fortunately we managed to get our table for four after waiting for 10mins.The textures and tastes were perfect...All in all - a fabulous meal, I am still dreaming about it.
The bill was pretty standard compared to rest of the Indian Restaurant we visited in Christchurch.We have dined at many nice restaurants within the New Zealand and this restaurant would rank very high, surely a benchmark for rest of all the Indian Restaurant .
I can't wait to return. We will be back soon.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank dave_18nov
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Yummy food, service could be improved”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked a table a week in advance, and called the day before to confirm. When we arrived we were put into a corner and felt like we were forgotten about slightly (our of sight, out of mind) took a while to get our order in for drinks, then they took a while to come out. The same when ordering food. However, when the food did come out... man was it tasty! We have been getting takeout delivered ever since!

Visited May 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“It's good but....”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Twice now they've mucked up the orders. Really basic stuff, the waitstaff are obviously instructed to remember the orders as opposed to writing them down - great if you can do it - the only person I've come across that can do that is the black guy at Lonestar Queenstown - the problem being it's too easy to get wrong with Indian - you've got different rices, different dishes, different levels of spice, different naans. Recipe for disaster.

All three of us ended up with the wrong meals, sure we should have sent them back, but we'd already been waiting 40 mins for them to arrive, so you make do. Again this would be fine, but you pay a premium at this place.

I'll be giving it a miss from now.

• Visited June 2014