“Unexpected excellence at a hotel restaurant”
Review of 50 Bistro

50 Bistro
Ranked #93 of 980 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Contemporary, New Zealand
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Relaxed dining with inspired bistro fare 50 Bistro offers inspired bistro food with modern flavours, excellent wines and a great bar. The menu offers a large variety of dishes featuring classic’s twisted with our own 50 flair. Executive Chef, Darren Conole, leads the kitchen team designing seasonal menus using the best local produce. The stylish interior flows out to a generous outdoor area, complete with fire tables that reflect the warm hues of the orange onyx wall inside, making 50 Bistro the perfect place to meet any time of the day for coffee, cocktails and bar snacks or a meal. With windows overlooking Hagley Park, breakfast in 50 Bistro is the ideal spot to start any day. Lunchtime brings with it a buzzy vibe offering great versatility and value with a selection of light meals and salads in addition to entrées and grills and desserts. Evenings bring heartier comfort dishes and a warm ambience, perfect for relaxing with friends.
Palos Verdes Estates, California
“Unexpected excellence at a hotel restaurant”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Christchurch was a jumping off point for our exploration of New Zealand and our guide booked us into the George Hotel (see separate review). The George has two restaurants but as it was a Monday only the one was opened. While we usually avoid hotel restaurants we had been traveling for almost 24 hours and not in the mood to explore that evening. So we dined at the 50 Bistro in the hotel. What a surprise. The food and the presentation were both excellent and what one would expect from a high end “white cloth” destination restaurant. Service was quite good. My wife had the lamb while I had venison cheeks (a first for me). Don't remember what the kids had. As breakfast was included in our rate we also ate there in the morning and the experience was repeated. Though the four of us each had something different, each dish was beautifully presented and all reported that their meals were excellent. With the exception of one, all of us are foodies to the core and have dined well all over the world including many, many M star rated restaurants. Were we Christchurch residents we would dine here frequently. Delightful experience - bravo to the chefs and the staff.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank noclvrname

Rangiora, New Zealand
“Faultless !!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked a table for two the same day as we wanted to eat. Spoke to a lovely lady (char??) who was very professional and very friendly.

The evening was wonderful and the food superb. I had the pâté and my guest had salmon for starter. The salmon was so delicate and the pâté superb. For our mains I had lamb cutlets which were tender and juicy and my guest had T Bone steak which was scrummy.

No room for desserts though... However .... I was pleasantly surprised when a plate with a selection of dessert and a birthday message from the staff came.

The atmosphere was really nice with some fab music played in the background. There was also a cosy heated outdoor area.

Thank you so much 50bistro. I will be raving about you for a long time :-)

• Visited August 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Great food, friendly service and decent value”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

What more can I say really? Not cheap but the food is a cut above "bistro" so I still consider it good value. We ate the steaks from the grill menu and they were lovely. The soft shell crab is good as is the French onion soup. The service was always friendly and prompt. The lunch menu is also good (other half assures me the burger was great!).

Visited August 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“order room service, quick - ht when it arrived and value for money”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

was tired so the quick service and quality of food meant I could relax. Great that each restaurant also offers room service to guests and a good quality

Visited July 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Worth a visit!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We were working late and rang to ask if they would stay open until we could get there. The chef was happy accommodate our request an we were eternally grateful.
Excellent food and a complimentary glass of Bollinger made it a perfect ending to a very busy day. All the staff was excellent. Thanks guys!!

• Visited July 2013