“What a location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“What a location”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We spent two nights in the hotel after 3 weeks of a campervan tour of New Zealand. The hotel was very comfortable but its location is special. Central, yes but also close to the rebirth of the city making it a very convenient place to stay.
A negative would be the availability of reservations in the restaurant and unfortunately we were refused and had to find alternatives. No great problem and clearly one the staff were used to, as they furnished us with a map marked with alternative eateries.

Room Tip: Book a table on the restaurant in advance
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear bill186383,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your stay with us, but also took advantage of our fantastic location. I am sorry however, that we were unable to accommodate you in our restaurant, but I do hope the map provided you with good alternatives.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us. I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Extremely basic accommodation that certainly doesn’t warrant the premium price tag.

This hotel doesn’t have the facilities to would expect from a establishment charging over $200 a night for an extremely basic minuscule room. The fixtures and fittings are of the cheapest quality and despite the very recent refit it’s looking distinctly tired.

The shower pressure was so low you had to run around the cubicle to get wet the temperature constantly swinging from freezing cold to inferno hot. The hotel is keen to promote its environmental credentials, this extends to the free second hand plasters and soap in the shower. Absolutely delightful.

I was particularly impressed at the free ginger public hair provided with my television remote. However, I have my own thank you and would prefer to supply those.

Pulling back the see-through wooden blinds in my room I was delight to see I had an excellent view into the office block just a few meters from my window.

The cost of the internet is absolutely exorbitant, but walk out on to the front of the hotel and you can pick up a number of free Wi-Fi hotspots from the mall.

A unique feature of this hotel is the pick-up service for room service, where you order then go to pick it up, go figure. $12 for a toasty with processed cheese and plastic ham, squashed between two slices of budget sliced loaf…. pathetic.

Joking apart, this hotel is an absolute disgrace for the premium price tag and is best avoided.

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask to be placed at the front of this dive, otherwise you'll be looking strai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dugstor
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Dugstor,
Thank you for your comments about your stay at Ibis Christchurch. We are sorry that we didn't meet your expectations and for this we apologise. Thank you for bringing our attention to the shower pressure in your room. We have now completed a review of every shower in the hotel and I am pleased to report that the pressure is now excellent in all bathrooms. We are pleased that you took advantage of the free wi fi from the re-start mall but wonder why you didn't avail yourself of our 30 minutes free wifi in the lobby and restaurant and bar area. The 24 hour snack menu is an Ibis worldwide standard and as such is collected by the guests from the restaurant. We are sorry that you found the menu idea and the $9.50 toasted sandwich that is also served with a salad not to your liking. Once again thank you for your comments which we will use to help improve our service.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Ibis was the first of the name CBD hotels to open since the quake. I rate the Ibis brand for its bright functionality. It's budget, but that doesn't mean lacking in style. I tend to choose them for airport stays on that basis. This one is snappy, modern and central. No problems, everything worked and the bed was super comfortable. I thought the coffee was surprisingly good and breakfast well executed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear JuliettaJ,

It is an absolute pleasure to receive your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at ibis Christchurch. Are you correct in saying that Ibis Christchurch is the only main hotel available in the city.

I am very pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be of good value and particularly enjoyed our bed, coffee and breakfast.

I will share you comments with the team, as I am certain this will act as encouragement to all our staff.
Paso Robles, California
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel choices in Christchurch are limited after the 2011 earthquake. Ibis is the only real hotel (as opposed to B&B or motel) near the CBD. Rooms are clean and certainly adequate for short stay. Staff friendly. be warned, the CBD still looks like war torn Europe and the Ibis has a birds eye view of the demolition. That said, there are still wonderful things to see and you can still get a sense of the "English" city that Chc once was.

Room Tip: Eat at King of Snake!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dsbrown93446,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us regarding your recent stay at Ibis Christchurch. It is a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

As you mentioned Ibis hotel is the only internationally branded hotel available in Christchruch and we do have spectacular views of all the action taking place around us.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
London
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Ibis is currently only one of two hotels open in the central district of Christchurch and is obviously doing a roaring trade on the back of it. Clean, modern and obviously earthquake proof it is good choice if you want to be in the centre of town despite all the demolition work going on. It is close to the new reStart shopping centre, which is constructed from shipping containers, and the river is a short walk away. There are limited facilites but there is a restaurant and bar and there is WiFi available in the public areas which is free for the first half an hour.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear NOTTLEFINK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed the hotel and its facilities, but also our location and the re-start mall across the road.

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure this will serve as an encouragement to all of them as we constantly strive to improve our service.

Thank you once again. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Bangalore
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel was probably the worst one on my holiday to NZ. Starting from the room service which was zilch, breakfast which was horrible and bad food options for vegetarians. We landed up at Christchurch on Canterbury day and was literally dependent on the hotel for food, but to our horror the Chef refused to cook anything vegetarian! The internet charges were terrible and definately would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Take a nice B&B instead else one of the larger hotels...I would definately give this one a skip!

Only saving grace was the mecixan restuarant close by...god bless them for some amazing food!

Had visited the hotel in Nov 2009

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WiniPooh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am very sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations, for this, please do accept my apology. We are certainly capable preparing vegetarian meals and I assure you we have always provided special meals for several of our guests to meet their dietary requirements. I am terribly sorry to hear that this was not done in your case. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I have passed on your comments regarding the food in our restaurant to our Head Chef as well as our Food and Beverage Manager to investigate.

Your comments are important to us, as we constantly strive to provide a superior experience for all our guests. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in future.
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Rather or not you enjoy this hotel will depend on whats important to you. We enjoyed it because it was clean and modern, quiet (even with a huge conference going on) and most of the staff very friendly. The down side is that the rooms are very small which did not bother us. Some say the showers didnt work but ours was perfect. The breakfast was just ok and the eggs in-eatable most days. Lastly what cost this hotel a star was the internet it is definitely exorbitant and they do not properly explain the costs. I do not recommend getting any of the packages it doesnt save you any money at all. We complained to the general manager who had no compassion at all.

Room Tip: Do not get a internet package it wont save you money
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Freelanc,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regaring your recent stay at Ibis Christchurch. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed the hotel and our rooms.

I am sorry to hear that our internet charges did not meet your expectations, for this, please accept my apology. As you maybe aware, our internet is provided by a 3rd party company, much like most mjor hotels in NZ. As such the prices, packages and terms and conditions are provided by the company before our guests log in. We understand that the internet charges may not always appeal to everyone, hence we provide 4 computers with complimentary 24 hour internet access in our lobby.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.