“Important piece of putting Christchurch back together”
Review of Ibis Christchurch

Ibis Christchurch
Ranked #37 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Important piece of putting Christchurch back together”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Ibis was the first of the name CBD hotels to open since the quake. I rate the Ibis brand for its bright functionality. It's budget, but that doesn't mean lacking in style. I tend to choose them for airport stays on that basis. This one is snappy, modern and central. No problems, everything worked and the bed was super comfortable. I thought the coffee was surprisingly good and breakfast well executed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear JuliettaJ,

It is an absolute pleasure to receive your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at ibis Christchurch. Are you correct in saying that Ibis Christchurch is the only main hotel available in the city.

I am very pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be of good value and particularly enjoyed our bed, coffee and breakfast.

I will share you comments with the team, as I am certain this will act as encouragement to all our staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Paso Robles, California
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel choices in Christchurch are limited after the 2011 earthquake. Ibis is the only real hotel (as opposed to B&B or motel) near the CBD. Rooms are clean and certainly adequate for short stay. Staff friendly. be warned, the CBD still looks like war torn Europe and the Ibis has a birds eye view of the demolition. That said, there are still wonderful things to see and you can still get a sense of the "English" city that Chc once was.

Room Tip: Eat at King of Snake!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dsbrown93446,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us regarding your recent stay at Ibis Christchurch. It is a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

As you mentioned Ibis hotel is the only internationally branded hotel available in Christchruch and we do have spectacular views of all the action taking place around us.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
London
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Ibis is currently only one of two hotels open in the central district of Christchurch and is obviously doing a roaring trade on the back of it. Clean, modern and obviously earthquake proof it is good choice if you want to be in the centre of town despite all the demolition work going on. It is close to the new reStart shopping centre, which is constructed from shipping containers, and the river is a short walk away. There are limited facilites but there is a restaurant and bar and there is WiFi available in the public areas which is free for the first half an hour.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear NOTTLEFINK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed the hotel and its facilities, but also our location and the re-start mall across the road.

I will share your comments with our team as I am sure this will serve as an encouragement to all of them as we constantly strive to improve our service.

Thank you once again. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Bangalore
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel was probably the worst one on my holiday to NZ. Starting from the room service which was zilch, breakfast which was horrible and bad food options for vegetarians. We landed up at Christchurch on Canterbury day and was literally dependent on the hotel for food, but to our horror the Chef refused to cook anything vegetarian! The internet charges were terrible and definately would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Take a nice B&B instead else one of the larger hotels...I would definately give this one a skip!

Only saving grace was the mecixan restuarant close by...god bless them for some amazing food!

Had visited the hotel in Nov 2009

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WiniPooh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am very sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations, for this, please do accept my apology. We are certainly capable preparing vegetarian meals and I assure you we have always provided special meals for several of our guests to meet their dietary requirements. I am terribly sorry to hear that this was not done in your case. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I have passed on your comments regarding the food in our restaurant to our Head Chef as well as our Food and Beverage Manager to investigate.

Your comments are important to us, as we constantly strive to provide a superior experience for all our guests. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in future.
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Rather or not you enjoy this hotel will depend on whats important to you. We enjoyed it because it was clean and modern, quiet (even with a huge conference going on) and most of the staff very friendly. The down side is that the rooms are very small which did not bother us. Some say the showers didnt work but ours was perfect. The breakfast was just ok and the eggs in-eatable most days. Lastly what cost this hotel a star was the internet it is definitely exorbitant and they do not properly explain the costs. I do not recommend getting any of the packages it doesnt save you any money at all. We complained to the general manager who had no compassion at all.

Room Tip: Do not get a internet package it wont save you money
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Freelanc,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regaring your recent stay at Ibis Christchurch. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed the hotel and our rooms.

I am sorry to hear that our internet charges did not meet your expectations, for this, please accept my apology. As you maybe aware, our internet is provided by a 3rd party company, much like most mjor hotels in NZ. As such the prices, packages and terms and conditions are provided by the company before our guests log in. We understand that the internet charges may not always appeal to everyone, hence we provide 4 computers with complimentary 24 hour internet access in our lobby.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked this hotel as I wanted to stay in the city centre and needed a hotel with 24 hour check-in, and since the earthquake the options are limited. While I found the location excellent it may not be to everyone's taste. It is opposite the restart mall and even just walking the streets surrounding the hotel you see a lot of kiwi ingenuity and just how resilient the christchurch people are. It is right on the edge of the 'red zone', my room looked into it which I found interesting but others may be put off by all the abanded buildings around.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, giving directions and suggestions on where to find shops and restaurants that are open post earthquake. The room itself was large and spacious (a king room with city views), with a small but clean and tidy bathroom. I was lucky enough to pick up the free wifi from the restart mall, but otherwise it is only free in the lobby. At an average of $200NZD per night it probably is overpriced, but giving the lack of competition of central hotels it is expected. The only disappointment - I love room service, but the hotel only had a very small range which had to be picked up from the restaurant and taken back up to your room yourself (a very small negative point in the scheme of things). Overall a good, comfortable four night stay

Room Tip: Room 401 picked up the free wifi from the restart mall across the road
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Nadia B,

I am very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your stay with us but also took advantage of our unique location and found our staff to be very helpful and friendly. Ibis hotels do not generally provide room service as this is against our brand standards, however I am glad to hear that you made use of our "Grab n Go" service instead.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Christchurch was devastated by a series of earthquakes and lost most of its big hotels, so it is hard to find a room now. The Ibis is quite satisfactory with a warm and capable staff and quite good accommodations. I enjoyed my stay in all respects except for the Internet charges which were horrendous. Most expensive of any hotel chain I have visited in the past 5 years. For that reason I will not return until they fix them. It costs $29 for 24 hours with only 300 MB of data for fast access. Use Skype, Youtube or do any photography and you end up with very slow Internet unless you pay $.10 for each MB over the 300. This is simply crazy. I rate the hotel good except for this very important issue. Its rating on Internet access is VERY POOR. And the cost was quite high per night for an IBIS, perhaps because of the city's room shortage.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear 511Jamie,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were well looked after by our friendly and courteous staff.

We are currently reviewing the internet options provided to us by a third party company and hope to have this issue resolved soon. These prices are consitent with most major NZ central city hotels as most hotels use the same provider

Thank you once again for sharing your comments. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the future.