“Nice lobby. Good service from staffs.”
Review of Ibis Christchurch

Ibis Christchurch
Ranked #37 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice lobby. Good service from staffs.”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Was being referred from Copthorne when they overbooked their rooms.
Ample parking lots in front of the hotel. Brightly lit front lobby.
Front desk staffs are friendly. Was served by, if I remember correctly, Lia and she quickly straightened out the necessaries and we could proceed to our room.
Had problem with one of the key card and she got it iron out in a jiffy.

I find the lights in the room too dim, thus it gives a rather gloomy atmosphere. A great contrast from the lobby. Toilet is small and in a rather odd position with 1 corner chopped off. Ibis tradition? As it reminds me of the Ibis i stayed in Versailles with a almost similar toilet size and design.

As the hotel was right on the fringe of the quake damaged zones, the area is quite dead with no nearby facilities. As having drove from Kaikoura so we were dead tired to drive out for meal, thus we settled our dinner in the hotel's restaurant. Food's nice. No complains.

Checking out went on fine. Was being charged the parking but when asked to charged it to Copthorne instead, was told we have take it up with Copthorne ourselves. Not the fault of Ibis really but if the staff would go the extra mile to call them up to make a request, it would be a nice touch.

Rated "Very Good" because of friendly service and good food. Guess the location will be great once the rebuilding of Christchurch is complete.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors. I'm staying at the same level as the restaurant and my windows o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jojolia
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear jojolia,

Thank you for taking the time to share you recent experience during your stay at Ibis Christchurch. It is a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and as such very glad to have the Copthorne recommend us to you. Thank you for also mentioning the great service you received from our staff during your stay. At Ibis, we stirve to provide the highest levels of customer service experience to all our guests, therefore your feedback in crucial to our success.

I will share your comments with the team as I am certain this will serve as encouragement to them.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments with me. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 24, 2012

we stayed for 3 nights and it was xmas time and they put us in the side were we see the wall,i had to personally had to ask to move rooms,no staff to ask if we were happy about the rooms.then the first night i had terrrible sleep 3 pillows were the same the other 3 were the same i came and asked for a better pillow so i can sleep better and they couldnt help me and then the manager just flogged me off.and as for the shower dont use them especially floors 6,7,8 cause u dont get much,all they recommend is for me to go to another level to use the showers in my nightie,i dont think so,it wasnt worth having a shower 1st morning and trying so hard not to get my thick hair wet,all u get is 1 small shampoo,1 small conditioner for 2 people in the room.as for xmas they dont have personally put something of a xmas decoration.and when the cleaner comes they come with 2 candy canes but they have already have candy canes at rec.where everyone goes since its on ground floor.and all so the bathrooms and lifts arent that clean either.and who now days use all white linen.........,slow service at reception and at the resturant

Room Tip: i wouldnt recommend them to stay here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear amcatz,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. At Ibis Christchurch we strive to provide superior levels of comfort for all our guests and as such, we are sorry that the hotel didn’t meet your requirements. We did try our best to comply with your requests but unfortunately in this case we were unable to meet your expectations. For example: We did upgrade you from the room type that you booked to a city view room on a complimentary basis. We did try to locate a thinner pillow but after searching the hotel we were unable to find any that were suitable for your wishes. We were also unable to go out and purchase a new pillow on Christmas day as all shops are closed on that day. Our Housekeeping supervisor personally gave you several additional shampoo/conditioner bottles. The hotel did have a number of Christmas decorations in the public areas including 2 Christmas trees and festive season lights. Once again thank you for your comments and we do regret being unable to satisfy your requests.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Small, clean, and comfortable. Ibis is centrally located only a short walk to Hagley Park and Restart Mall. There is no wireless internet available for your room however they do have 4 computers that guests can use at 30 minute increments. No gym or pool but it gets the job done.

Dear Jennpaz8,

Thank you for sharing you recent stay at Ibis Christchurch with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed the service, location and your room, but also the use to complimentary internet in our lobby, during your stay with us. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team, as I am sure this will serve as encouragement to them.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome to back in the near future.
singapore
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Despite the dearth of international-chain of hotels in Christchurch Central, one could still find a hotel situated right next of it in Ibis Christchurch - about the only hotel of choice at the moment. There is no lacking of community get-togetherness in Re:Start Zone across the road from the hotel when we were there on last Friday evening 14 Dec. I could see the resilient spirit among the residents from these community-programmes.
When returning from long distance coach from far flung South Island cities, this hotel is good for overnight transit stop to take a flight the early morning after. The hotel has a good shuttle arrangement which costs NZ$25 for 4 commuters.
The room. like other Ibis-chain of hotels, is characterised by its compactness of room and small-size bed/flimsy soft-pillows. At the promo rate which I booked through Accor hotels months earlier, this hotel has everything a traveller would need - laundry to wash clothings, a restaurant to fill the hungry stomachs. However the watering holes are situated streets away. Supermarket is about 5-8 mins walk from hotel.

Room Tip: We were served by Tom, who was kind enough to oblige and let the travelling group of 4 to have 2 nei...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear emersonlou9285,

Thank you taking the time to share your experience with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as our Food and Beverage services in the hotel. I am particularly glad to hear of the great service you were provided by Tom at front desk. I will certainly share your comments as this will serve as encourage to him.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments with me. I certainly hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed December 10, 2012

With the dearth of hotels in central Christchurch after the earthquakes, this is an obvious choice. Modern, clean, just across the block from the Restart Mall, with panoramic views of the city in ruins. From the window by the lift you get a close-up view of the wrecked cathedral.
The two double beds are comfortable and the room is clean but both the bedroom and the bathroom are very small, almost cramped.
As long as you are not expecting luxury, this is a perfectly adequate hotel for a short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view.
1 Thank Bea962
Tim D, General Manager at Ibis Christchurch, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Bea962,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room, cleanliness and location of the hotel.

We do certainly have some spectacular views of Christchurch city in its re-building stages and I am glad you were able to take advantage of this and hopefully fill your camera with plenty of memories.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience at Ibis Christchurch with me.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed here in November this year. The hotel is clean, and the staff friendly. After a long flight, they allowed us to check in early. The room was a little tight for space, and the bathroom quite small. But functional. There's not a lot in the area, except the Restart Mall across the road which had a reasonable choice of things to eat, but everything else in the city is pretty much a disaster zone still. Had to drive 5 minutes for somewhere to eat outside of the hotel.

Bizarre to see buildings at strange angles, and tourists coming up to just outside the hotel to take photos of a disaster zone.

There were two parking options. I think the open air car-park across the road was $15 a day, but could be wrong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank runbhk
Dear runbhk,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at Ibis Christchurch. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the early check in, your room and hotel in general. I will certainly share your comments with the team as I am sure this will serve as encouragement to them.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near future.
Banff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

hotel newly reopened after earthquakes, room comfortable, well serviced, food good, service slow, dining room chilly and buffet breakfast some distance from dining area. dining furniture is a bit outdated. no amenities nearby.

Room Tip: all rooms seen to be the same for all on trip
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Donald Y,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback.

I will certainly share your comments with the team, as I am certain this will serve as encouragement to them as we constantly look for ways to better ourselves.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Ibis Christchurch in the near furture.