“Basic”

Ranked #122 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Brisbane, Australia
“Basic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here on two separate occasions during our 17 day trip to the South Island.

Pros:
Free wifi.
Not too far from town if you don't mind walking a bit. Close to the great Speight's Ale House (also on Bealey Ave).
Front room is fairly modern.

Cons:
Asked for a quiet room, but they put us in the one closest to the road. I mean, I get it if we had just booked like a week before, but we booked in August for January! They originally had us in the room next to ours, but changed it. When questioned about this, the lady just said the other people had booked early. So had we!!! They did this for both our stays. I understand that requests cannot always be granted but, seriously, the NOISIEST one. Bit of a joke really.
Bathroom is very cramped and out-dated.
Uncomfortable bed.
There was some confusion with paperwork having booked through the Entertainment Book which led to them charging the wrong credit card for our 2nd stay. Paperwork said it would be paid on arrival, but they charged my card beforehand. This wouldn't have been a problem except that I was going to pay in NZ dollars in my MasterCard cash passport, but they instead charged my regular card in AUD, leading to a conversion fee.
I also agree with a previous reviewer about being able to understand a girl's English. Very difficult. The Kiwi girl (another person) was very prompt and friendly though.

Unfortunately I did not take a photo of the bathroom or kitchenette, just the front room with the bed.

Overall, I would not stay here again. Even though it is fairly reasonably priced (approx. $117NZ) and you get free wifi, they need to improve on their service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim-Andrew04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nelson, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

1970's style motel with high occupancy at a price point just above budget means an affordable roof with tired decor: didn't bother us. Great for a quickie overnight crash-pad or for a couple of days. Bed was comfortable but a standard (small) small double. Was assigned an upstairs room which made it rather hot and stuffy due to summer conditions until we got all the windows open - downstairs might be cooler. Get what you pay for and it delivered for my partner and I.

Room Tip: Request a downstairs in summer and, I guess, an upstairs in winter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Timaru, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booked for 2 nights but only stayed one, cancelled 2nd night and went to better accommodation.
Looked presentable from outside. Lady at reception English was difficult to understand. I was able to inform some out of town guests more about some of the local shops than the woman at reception. She was polite though. We stayed in room 3 and felt like we were sleeping right on the roadside. Very noisy. No double glazing. Windows so dirty could hardly see out them. Some tiles at entrance to room were sunk and a mat had been placed over these so high risk of an injury. Room décor very outdated and drab. Walls had plastered holes which had not been sanded or painted. Not even a picture on wall or an emergency evacuation information displayed. Corner in lounge(above the bed - see photo) had "tape" holding the wallpaper/plaster in place. Kitchenette had basic supplies but not sufficient for number of people the room could sleep. Cupboards in kitchenette - paint worn off in many places and the board shelves swollen and chipped in many places. Bathroom tidy except for some mouldy areas and split in wall by shower. Toilet was clean but large gap in wall behind toilet and in bedroom. plenty of heating available if needed. Beds comfortable. I checked out after our first night and I told the lady it was too noisy and poor standard. She did not appear worried and just said OK. Free Wi fi intermittent. Would not recommend you stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night and glad we dud,had a end studio near road,didnt sleep well,traffic was noisy all night,lots of sirens and people walking past.kitchen outdated and shabby and the bathroom really small and pokey.wouldnt stay there again

• Stayed November 2013
Auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I booked a king studio at Abbey Motor Lodge for one night. I was given room # 9 which was by the road side and it felt like I was sleeping on the street. Extremely noisy. You can even hear people from the neighbouring room. Even though they provided free wifi, the signal strength was extremely poor and I had to stand at the door to stay connected. The Toilet door didnt have a handle. The reception closes at 9pm and there is no way you can contact anyone. I was up all night and when I complained the next morning, I was told there is nothing that can be done. Will never ever go back again.

Room Tip: Please dont stay here or you'll be up all night.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My advice is to avoid this place - there are plenty of other motels along the road. The night I spent there was just terrible. There were rats, mice or other little critters running in the walls - I was terrified that they would get in the room. There is no 24hr reception so no-one to contact so stayed awake all night with the light on. Left as soon as I could contacted the management afterwards but they were not interested. Stay away.

Stayed April 2013
Armidale, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed here for a night in June. Motel had everything we needed and was clean and comforatble. The free wifi was a big plus! However we were in one of the end rooms (closest to the road) and the signal strength for the wifi was a bit iffy.
Motel was value for money and the staff were great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple