“Avoid at all costs!!”
Review of Bealey's Hotel

Bealey's Hotel
Ranked #132 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I had booked and paid for one night's stay at this hotel and after travelling for over 30 hours from UK I was looking forward to freshening up before enjoying a meal and a few drinks in Speights Ale House but this was not to be as upon my arrival I was confronted by the rudest woman I have ever met in my life who promptly told me I was not staying there! When I showed her my booking form she took it off me and said that I was being moved to another motel and despite my query as to why the only reply I received was that 48 rooms had been lost in the earthquake. Whilst I am sympathetic to the devastion which has so greatly affected this city I had to ask why then was money taken from my account to pay for my stay some 10 days previously? I received no coherant reply whatsoever and when I enquired as to how I was to get to this new accommodation she suggested that I run after the taxi cab that had just dropped me off! She was being quite serious about this and I was lucky enough to catch him before he drove back to the airport. I asked for my booking form back but she snapped that she would be keeping it as Bealeys had paid for my accommodation at the new motel. At this point I simply gave up and left the premises.
I would warn anyone reading this review to avoid this place at all costs, the woman in question clearly dislikes dealing with the public and if she is the front line of Bealeys then I am certain you can find better service absolutely anywhere else within the city!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during cup week.
We found the unit we stayed in dated but ok compaired to what we paid.
They had obviously been decimated by the earthquake as the outside surrounds were a bit rough, but it was to be expected.
With some of the rooms demolished there was plenty of parking.
Speights Ale House is attached to the hotel that provide consistant mid priced meals with good Irish music even on cup night.
The staff at the hotel were very obliging and treated us in a very profesional manor.
This centrally located hotel is worth a visit we will stay here again

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gladdyman
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Not a whole lot can be said about this property. You need to take into consideration what has happened to this city. This city has been torn apart, and there really aren't many options for accommodation. This property once had rooms of much higher standard – but these were destroyed by the Earthquake not once, but twice! Now have been demolished and are the car park at the back.

The rooms they currently have available are of very low standard, but how are they supposed to renovate or revamp this property with no money.... Give this hotel a chance, as long as you don't expect much (and don't pay and arm and a leg) you can't go wrong. It is very basic and I'm 100% sure you would of stayed somewhere much nicer, but the little it has is great. The Speights Ale House located right on the property is great for young people or party goers (definitely pre-book for a table for dinner- as it is popular to eat at).. but far enough away to sleep at night. Probably the most exciting property in Christchurch at the moment.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here as part of a tour group so had no choice in where I stayed whilst in Christchurch. I soon found out that there were many nicer places and stayed there instead on my subsequent visits to the city.

To be fair the hotel has had its share of difficult times, with their larger accommodation block demolished due to earthquake damage. However the upkeep of the remaining rooms has fallen by the wayside, which is a shame. The rooms were in a motel style arrangement. The rooms themselves are cold and damp with varying degrees of space under the doors for cold air to flow. The bathrooms were horrible, dirty and in desperate need of updating, with incredibly high toilets! The onsite pub and restaurant was ok. Mainly it was warm and we sheltered there until we really had to sleep! The food was mediocre but it had a good atmosphere. Another downside was that the carpark for all the local patrons of the pub was right outside the front door to all the rooms, so there was varying degrees of noise as the pub emptied.

The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful when it came to arranging transport. One bonus was a good buffet breakfast, but it couldn’t make up for the awful overnight stay. This has the potential to be so much better especially with limited accommodation options in Christchurch, but needs some attention desperately.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CadburysFlake
Reviewed June 24, 2012

During my 8 days in New Zealand, Bealey's Hotel is the waste place I've stayed. Lucky we only stay one night..The bathroom is a total turn off and it’s in need of a major make over. The toilet is so high that my feet are literally lift off the floor when I sit on it, also the timber on the edge of the shower base has rotten through. The bed have no support at all; you literally sink into the bed as springs have given up its toughness. Our room has three bed and only the double bed has electric blanket, however the the legs on the plugs has broken off so is useless. In room heater doesn't work and it was replaced with a old Radiant Heater (useless).

For the price we paid, is not worth the stay..and is definitely not for more than a night.

Room Tip: Look else where
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevejiang
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed one night and was quite happybwith what I got. A motel type unit with two double beds, good space and a ranch slider opening onto a deck facing the lawn and the units on the other side. I picked this because it was easy to find, close to the CBD where I was to spend some time and had restaurant and bar facilities. Room was clean and provided with tea and coffee and cocoa sachets and mugs rather than the little cups I often find. Bathroom a bit cramped but a good shower with plenty of pressure. Loads of parking. Easy and quick check in with minimum fuss and a simple registration form. Internet access not badly priced at $4.00 for an hour but it has to be accessed within 12 hours or you lose it. I didn't know that until I went to connect in the morning and found out that the voucher had expired at 3.35am. Used the free wireless connection at the telephone box across the road instead. Will be quite happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: The two motel blocks at the rear of the hotel were comfortable and low key. One side will get evenin...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The room I was given was dirty and very basic. The bed was so soft I couldn't sit on it properly. I couldn't lock the bathroom window and felt very unsafe. I checked out and found a very nice motel (Courtesy Court Motel) down the road for cheaper.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo