The earlier reviews of this property were good so we were pretty confident things would go smoothly. The owners, Rod and Chris bill themselves as the friendly motel and they did not disappoint. Within 10 minutes of placing the free call from the Christchurch airport accommodations board a cheery Chris arrived driving the Airways motel shuttle. 10 minutes later we were settling in to our studio unit, #17.
The room was sparkling clean and came supplied with a toaster, microwave, electric kettle and dishes sufficient to fix a couple of light meals. Each room has an ingenious key holder that turns the power on in the room when the key is inserted. Leave with the key and the power is switched off. You won’t worry about leaving toast burning or your delicates crisping on the towel warmer.
There isn’t much to do in the immediate vicinity (walking distance) but Rod will help you out be recommending things to see and do in Christchurch and even arrange shuttles to the Antarctic center or the local pub.
We planned two nights at the Airways motel. One night on arrival and one at the conclusion of our 2 week campervan tour of the South Island. Rod says 90% of their guests arriving to start a tour of New Zealand come back to stay before departing. Upon our return we were upgraded to room #11, a one bedroom. There were just two of us but it was spacious enough for a family of 4 if you arrange for the fold out cot. The kitchen also had a range top and toaster oven and a dining area.
We were a little concerned about getting out to the airport early on Christmas day but as Rod said “no worries”. At 4:30am on Christmas morning a taxi was waiting to take us and two other guests to the airport for the early flight. Rod had prepaid the fare. We wish Rod and Chris a happy Christmas and promise to be back. No worries!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you arrive in a strange city, it's nice to know you've got friends just minutes away. Your hosts at the Airways Motel in Christchurch, pride themselves in offering friendly, personalised service and clean, comfortable, stylish motel accommodation - serviced apartments just 5 minutes from the Christchurch Airport. Whether you are bringing the kids to visit family for the week, on your way to ski fields or just in transit, at the Airways Motel we have a range of Christchurch accommodation to suit your needs and all accompanied with the warmest of welcomes. Our Christchurch motel is located on the North/South Bypass and at the West Coast cross roads,10 minutes from the city centre , 5 minutes from the Airport and is ideally situated for all travellers. With 19 modern motel units to choose from you're guaranteed a comfortable and affordable stay in Christchurch. Our special accommodation feature is a fully self-contained Townhouse with a private garden, spa bath, and full laundry facilities. Ideal for families relocating, long stay guests, larger groups, or for those who prefer extra space and the home away from home feel. When it's time to go home, remember, the Airways Motel is only 5 minutes from Christchurch international/domestic airport and provides a Free Airport Shuttle Service by pre-arrangement (8am-8pm on the hour). PLEASE NOTE: SHUTTLE DOES NOT OPERATE ON CHRISTMAS EVE, CHRISTMAS DAY, BOXING DAY, NEW YEARS EVE AND NEW YEARS DAY. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Airways Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Airways Hotel Christchurch
- Airways Motel Christchurch