“The Finest Stay that you are sure to love, from the linens to the breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Classic Villa

The Classic Villa
Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
San Diego, California
“The Finest Stay that you are sure to love, from the linens to the breakfast”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We were traveling on vacation, however, it would also be a good selection for business travelers due to its convenient location in the city center. I would say we are very picky travelers when it comes to accommodations while traveling. We travel extensively and have traveled a large portion of the world, excluding Asia. Cleanliness is imperative, and nice bathroom facilities are a must. This hotel exceeds in all categories.

Peter our host was extremely friendly and accommodating. The feel of this boutique hotel is more to a bed and breakfast, with the room appointment's of a ritz carlton. The service is better than the Four Season's, as the service is 100% authentic. I can truly say that Peter was expecting us.

We arrived very early to our check in due to our flight from the United states arriving in the early morning. We were expecting to just drop our bags to have them held until our room was ready, however, we were taken directly to our accommodation.

We were very thankful and very surprised to be taken to our room as we arrived at 9:30 in the morning. We were treated almost as family and whisked away to refresh ourselves from our long journey. I am not certain if this is their standard practice, but this was our experience.

The other guests we met during our stay were very friendly as well. You can meet them at breakfast in the morning, or enjoy evening conversation in the lounge, which is configured or similar to an executive lounge at a hotel, or family room with couches, coffee table and TV.

The morning breakfast offers a nice variety for both vegetarian and meat lovers. If you love a latte, espresso, coffee or tea in the morning, Peter is quite a barista.

Pick up a bottle of New Zealand wine and enjoy in your room or in the lounge as Peter has all the appropriate stemware for your use.

There are restaurants just outside the hotel door, so you will always have the convenience of food, but if you are a late night snacker you may want to pick up a few items during your day out. Sodas are complimentary from the refrigerator.

You can walk pretty much everywhere, and the tourist/ classic trolley has pickups on the same street. The Museum, Botanical Gardens, Art Gallery and Arts Center are on the same block or 1 to 2 blocks away. Cathedral square is a 5 to 7 min walk down the street, Worcester, the hotel is located on.

Our room, photo included, was located facing the street at the front of the hotel. I am an extremely light sleeper, but was very pleasantly surprised that I was not disturbed by any outside/street noise as our room was almost all windows. The window coverings blocked out any morning light for those who like to sleep in.

Additionally, for Gay and Lesbian traveler's this is an excellent choice as you will feel very comfortable. We did not experience any adversity from neither the staff nor the other guests.

On our departure we took the Tranz Alpline Scenic train from Christchurch to Greymouth. Peter arranged a taxi/car service to the station with the nicest Irishman, who was kind enough to offer some driving advice since we would be picking up a car in Greymouth and driving down the coast.

We sincerely look forward to another stay on our next trip to New Zealand.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
England
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I had a deluxe room, but it was on the small side. It was suggested I slide one suitcase under the bed to make more room. Fine for a weekend bag, but my full size case wouldn't fit. There was also a shortage of storage space with only one wardrobe with about 8 hangers and no chest of drawers.

Wi-fi was a big attraction when I booked, but my laptop couldn't find a signal and when I asked about this I was told it can be a problem in that room, and I was offered a cable, which continually fell out as the little catch bit was broken.

In fairness the bed was very comfortable, and the shower room with heated floor was great. The view onto the high wall of the building next door did unfortunately make the room a bit dark.

Breakfast has been highly praised by others, however I felt it was an average buffet. The complimentary refreshments were very nice, other than the fruit bowl, which needed refreshing, the plums I tried were well past their best, and the choice was very limited. On the Saturday evening however the area was closed for a function. I couldn't access the refreshments, and no-one even thought to offer to bring me a drink to my room.

It was also quite uncomfortable that I was the only guest not at the event, and I did get a bit fed up when people asked are you a friend of xx or xx? I really felt a little like a gooseberry. I don't think when the hotel has been taken over in that way any other guests should be accepted.

All things considered at breakfast on the Sunday I decided it would be best to move on, at which point I was offered a change of room when one was free, but by that stage it was too little and much too late.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Thatnamenotavailable
Peterm8, Manager at The Classic Villa, responded to this review, May 30, 2010
Sadly there are a few things not correct with this review.
When this guest first booked the hotel on the 1st April, she was told that it was our last room and that there was a group Booking in the Hotel for a wedding for 2 days out of the 6 she booked.
Because of this she was given a very good discounted rate.

We can find nothing wrong with the Internet Cable connection in her room.

Regarding breakfast, you can see by other reviews that this is not typical.
I have looked back on purchases on these dates and have seen that the Fruit Bowl - available 24 Hours a day, consisted of 2 types of apples, pears, peaches, apricots, plums, oranges , bananas, manderins and even some late season cherries.

There is a 380mm gap under the Queen Bed for luggage,which appears to be ample.
The 2 Large Bedside Chest of Drawers each have 2 reasonable drawers.

I can assure you we all went out of our way to make this guest feel very welcome, even helping her park her car. twice.
I personally told her on the night of the function, (from 6pm until 10pm) that she could either come down and get refreshments or we would deliver??

The Guest decided to leave on the Sunday, even after I offered to upgrade her Room.
We could not offer this earlier as we were fully booked.

There is an old worn out adage that "the customer is always right", but this is not always the case.But they are always a customer and we are always trying to ensure they have a good experience and become a regular guest - whether they are right or wrong.
Our policy is to not worry about whether a customer is right or wrong, but to focus on whether they are happy. If they are not, then we can find a way to make them happy, so they communicate a good experience out in the world and will also come back.
new zealand, west coast
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Title speaks for itself! I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Christchuch. Hospitable hosts, spotlessly clean and very quiet. (Some parts of this city are noisy at night due to boy racers in noisy cars but not in this location).
Central location means I can walk to verything I neeed to get to and there is a space for my car.Free HIFI a huge plus for me.
Breakfast offers a huge vartiety of quality items - something for everyone.

Previous reviewer was completely unrealistic in their expectaions. If they need breakfast at that time of the morning then they should stay in a hotel and order room service. They did not pay for a 24 hour meal service in this hotel.And they were offered a light breakfast in any case so really had nothing to grumble about - there is no pleasing some people.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank maxlois
Canterbury area
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We stayed here last night and having stayed in Christchurch numerous times in various hotels , this would have to be the best. From the moment you walk in the door you are treated to service we have never experienced anywhere. This beautiful villa is warm and welcoming an extension of home. Attention to detail and generous extras such as the drinks in the fridge ,fruit bowl that you help yourself to, port in the hallway,and the divine breakfast in the morning will ensure we will be back.The room was very comfortable and the hotel directly over the road from the Arts centre and within very easy walk of the city,movies,theatre and Hagley Park.The hosts couldn't have made us feel more at home-a real treat!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2010

What a charming Boutique Hotel! We felt welcomed from the moment we entered - the young lady efficiently and in a friendly manner showed us around, then we were left with our privacy (which I appreciated as I was not very well). We stayed here 2 days and had 2 good nights sleep (good bed & pillows). Peter made a fantastic breakfast the first morning (unfortunately we had to leave at 5am to catch a plane the 2nd morning so missed out on the 2nd one).

We had a SuperDelux Room (No.2) at the very front of the house - absolutely gorgeous - & everything was spotlessly clean and with plenty of space. The free tea/coffee and OJ were a lovely surprise, as was the complimentary sherry in the hallway. Very comfortable lounge area, with a beautiful outdoor area as well.

The hotel is situated on the main run of the tourist tram (but was not noisy at all). We managed fine without a car. It was a very short walk round the corner to the boatshed (sorry I didnt believe you Peter), even shorter walk to the park and Art Centre & not too far from the city centre, the restaurants along the river or the casino.

Thank you for a memorable final 2 days in NZ. We only covered the North Island and a little of the South. When we come back one day to do the rest of the South Island, Classic Villas will be our first stop.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed March 9, 2010

We had prebooked one night and then two for the following week. We must agree the rooms were spotlessly clean and the position was perfect. We found the staff to be friendly. There was an attitude of help yourself to tea coffee in the kitchen any time of the day. When we left early on the first week the husband was up and preparing the buffet breakfast and we were able to get something to eat. However when we left the second time the husband was away so no one got up for us. We were told to help ourselves to tea coffee, cereal from the cupboard and fruit from the bowl (2 plums 1 lemon and an old banana). We realise we left at 6.20am but if you are in the hospitality business and you have taken the money then surely you have to be prepared to get up or to leave something that is more accessible. In other places that we stayed during our holiday in New Zealand it didn't matter how early we left someone got up for us.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EssexMovers
Dubai
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We'd booked in for just a night on our way through Christchurch - and it was so good that we ended up going back for 2 more nights the following week. The location was perfect, across the street from the park, the theatre, the lively arts centre with its restaurants and bars, and just a few minutes walk from the main town centre. Peter and his team could not have been more helpful, and the breakfasts were excellent. Rooms were quiet and comfortable, with enough storage and well-appointed bathrooms. Off-street parking, free wi-fi, help-yourself all-day hot and cold drinks and snacks - and even free port and brandy decanters in the corridor. All at a very reasonable price.
Having travelled a lot, we're not easy to please, but would recommend the Classic Villa unhesitatingly, over the larger hotels nearby. A real gem!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple