“Room with a view!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Timaru, New Zealand
“Room with a view!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I recently stayed here for work, the hotel was really lovely. Great friendly and efficient staff. Big clean room with a stunning view of the city and the port hills. I would say the only thing that let it down was the parking. But as the city is in the middle of a rebuild it is something that will improve in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for the city side as it has a great view the other side is looking out over the car park.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank CharlotteLee88
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Charlotte,

Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor!

Not sure what you mean about the parking?..Can you come back to me on that?

We have secure parks under our hotel, valet parking and (far be it from me not to try and sell our valet parking service) but free parking abounds because of the empty space around the hotel, wonderfully free until new buildings go up..!

Please let me know what you meant about the parking..maybe we didn't meet you/direct you?

Carl and The team at Novotel Christchurch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Northam, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here for 1 night at the start of our trip. We arrived early morning cold, foggy and a bit damp. We thought we would see about check in early. possible of a small charge. Maybe even a small discount for being an Accor Loyalty member. So we asked. To be told about $120. Are you serious? We came back later and someone else was at desk and checked us in. The Executive room was GREAT. View to the cathedral. No noise. Staff apart from 1 were fantastic. The bell boy (think thats his title) thats stands by door to help was AMAZING, he had maps and our route planned out. Definitely recommend to family snd friends

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Hi Bruce and Amber,

$120 dollars...no way!! I'm going to check that out..good lord ... and an ACCOR Member to boot!

Gawd, we really do trip ourselves up sometimes don't we?.. drop me an email so I can follow it up for you..

I'm glad you liked Andrew at the front door..I'm assuming it was him..EVERYONE says he's awesome!!

Many thanks for your feedback, I hope we will see you again.

Carl and The Team at Novotel Christchurch
Foster City, California
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon. We were Very pleased with it - this is such a nice hotel!

Bad things: Wi-Fi isn't free, most of the area nearby is still under construction, there is no parking

Good things: the rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable, the staff is incredibly nice and helpful, they have maps and recommendations for places nearby to go for dinner (some walkable, some where you might prefer to drive), there was an abandoned gravel lot outside where I could park for free (though the hotel warned that since they didn't own it, they couldn't accept liability if something happened), they have laundry machines available for use in the basement ($4/load) which was so useful, and their minibar is reasonably well stocked.

All in all we had a great stay there. It was nice to be able to walk to the restart area too!

• Stayed June 2014
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Hi Jen D,

Thanks for posting your comments on TripAdvisor – Good and bad!

We continue to struggle with the free Wif-Fi issue..but we’re getting there thank you!

Yes, our city is under construction, we will have a whole new futuristic green city as a result.

We have tons of parking, free around the hotel, and 25 valet spaces (secure) under the hotel, in case you visit us on your return through Christchurch.

I’m glad our staff were nice and helpful and were able to recommend places for you.
We look forward to seeing you on your return.

Kind regards’

Carl and The team at Novotel Christchurch.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed for just one night, and was very happy with the choice. Its an oasis in the midst of all the reconstruction in the city.
Friendly staff who are there to help, and know when to leave you alone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hi Abeb 1900

Many thanks for your TripAdvisor comments!

We appreciate them.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back.

Kind regards

Carl and The team at Novotel Christchurch.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Had a lovely few days at this hotel and we were very well looked after. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was well laid out and comfortable and I slept really well. We ate at the restaurant as there is limited availability elsewhere due to the earthquake damage. I am gluten intolerant and the staff were very helpful and non judgmental, the chef even came out to talk to me about my requirements and I had some great meals. Its always difficult when I travel so this type of service makes a huge difference to me so thank you very much.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Zoe E,

Many thanks for your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.,

I'm glad we were able to satisfy your needs gluten free and that the staff were very friendly and welcoming.
The Chef does love to go out and talk to guests..hes a friendly fellow!.

I am happy that our service made a difference to you.

Carl and The Team at Novotel Christchurch
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Hotel is lovely and cosy. Service is brilliant but I was here on business and due to the lack of restaurants around the place had to order room service. So tasteless. No salt on food and was so dissapointed with the lack of taste ad watery jus. Expensive tasteless meal. But can't not fault th hotel and facilities and staff.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank NZtraveller81
To NZ Traveler 81

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Christchurch.

We are pleased that you could not fault the hotel facilities and our staff, but disappointed that we did not come up to scratch with the room service.
We have noted your comments.
Look , I hope you will visit us again, let me know when you do (carl.braddock@accor.com) and we’ll keep a special eye out for you

Nathan (F and B Manager), and The Team at Novotel Christchurch
Auckland
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Christchurch without a doubt has had a hard time since the earthquakes that rocked the city. This hotel stands out on the skyline as it is right in the city but nice and modern and new and very safe feeling. Sid the front of house manager went out of his way to look after us. The rooms are very modern with everything you can need. Restaurant and bar is great and parking is on the doorstep at no cost. I will return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Hi Dramatic Auckland,

Many thanks for your kind posting to TripAdvisor!

I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel and Yes, Sid IS awesome! the guests love him and his Team loves him too, I'm glad he looked after you.

We look forward to seeing you back again.