Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #19 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have stayed at Novotel hotels before and my experience in Christchurch was no exception. The hotel staff was very friendly. I made the silly mistake of leaving my security card in the room thus locking myself out yet the hotel staff were very helpful and accommodating. A new card was authorised within minutes. The room itself was clean and spacious. I loved the bed and had a great night's sleep. I included the breakfast option and I was treated to a veritable banquet. Would definitely recommend the Novotel to fellow tourists. The location is excellent and would have given visitors an idea of what this part of the city would have been like prior to the devastating earthquakes. Do make the effort to visit Christchurch and stay at the Novotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear cloudysunday,

Thank you for your most encouraging comments. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I am glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our hotel, facilities and our friendly team.

Christchurch certainly needs your continued support and I thank you for sharing this sentiment with others. It is truly a unique environment and we are proud to contributing and playing our part in the re-build.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Brand New Hotel, Room was good, but bath room with standing shower, overall I am pleased with the reception staff. due to last earthquack the city still recovering so there is not a lot to see in downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Rizwan S,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our new hotel in general. I do see that our location in centre city was not suitable for you. Rest assured, the rebuild is now in full swing and we hope to have our beautiful city back to its former glory.

Christchurch CBD requires your continued support and I thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

It was sad to see Christchurch in such a state when we stayed recently, but that hasn't put a dent in the staff's friendliness and exceptional quality of service. Krystal checked us in and was wonderfully pleasant. Went looking for restaurants upon the front office member, Millsy's, recommendations but we had no luck since everything was busy. Instead we decided to eat in the restaurant upstairs and I'm glad we did, Christopher and Stacey were lovely workers and the food was amazing (had the chicken pate to start, the duck and the rib eye for mains), although I think due to the duck being slow cooked both mains were slightly cooler than desired (not that it really matters much when it was delicious). They used two kinds of duck as well, Christopher explained, both Western and Oriental.
The room we stayed in was clean and had such a great view but the sink being in the bedroom area was a little weird. Shower pressure and mattresses were great and it is a crying shame we could not stay longer than the one night.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear tommw5,

Thank you taking the time to share your comments with us. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I am proud to hear that we excelled in every aspect of your stay.

I will share your comments with our team, as this will serve as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you once again for your most encouraging feedback. I hope you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

The Novotel does everything that you would expect to do for a big chain hotel. Prior to Feb 2011 the hotel location would be excellent - opposite the Cathedral. At the moment the area is a combination of demolition and construction site. There isn't a lot of anything in the city centre at the moment.

If you are driving it can be a little difficult to navigate the various closed and one way streets around the city centre. The parking options are a little bit strange.

The breakfast was way below what I have come to expect from the Novotel brand. Not a lot of choice. Coffee from a machine.

The high speed internet is overpriced and not very high speed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor looking over to the hills.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Dear allanbowers,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am pleased to hear that our hotel met your expectations.

Christchurch central city is certainly on its way to former glory and we are very fortunate to be located right in the heart of a rebuilding city. I am sorry to hear that this has negatively impacted your visit and assure you there are plenty of reasons to stay in the centre city.

Allan, I have taken note of your comments regarding our breakfast offering and internet speed and will have this reviewed immediately.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us. I hope you will visit Christchurch in the near future.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed in the executive room and the suite on our 2 stays. Nice modern room. Toilet and shower were small, bathroom sink is very awkward. The room we stayed in, the toilet was that cramped against the wall that my knees hit and touch the wall when I had to sit on toilet, had to go sideways a few time. Big design flaw. Service was very good from the concierges, and some other staff. With Suite 1301 on top floor, not much difference from other rooms besides a little bit more space 1 extra tv and a nice big balcony. Bed seemed to be pretty hard. Great big balcony with a outdoor table and stools and great views, but was very bare besides that, if it had a outdoor couch it would have been great. Shower, toilet and sink was exactly the same as a normal room,was a different toilet set up that was a bit better. Couch looked good but was not comfortable. Bench space is very limited, the same or less than the normal room. For a suite we we're let down, it needs a least a microwave, some more bench space, a more comfortable inside couch. This is not really a proper suite, it is just a bigger room with a balcony. we stayed in another proper suite in queenstown that had a fully equipped small kitchen, washer/dryer machine, microwave, cooker top, table and chairs and it was cheaper.Tried to have something heated up that had got cold, but was refused because of health and safety, even though other hotels have done this before. Suites are not worth the extra money. Food quality was good. Breakfast was good but a little limited and some things were not being replenished. was sometimes under staffed with just one person doing everything. Overall was still a good stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jarrodpercival
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear jarrodpercival,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This is vital for our success and you have certainly given us several suggestions to consider.

Jarrod, I am sorry to hear that a simple request, like heating up your meal, was denied and I certainly will have this addressed with our team immediately, as I find this to be appalling. We do have a disclaimer for health and safety reasons and this should have been easily organised for you. Please accept my sincerest apology for this let down.

We also do receive several mixed comments regarding our bathroom design and I completely understand that while it suits certain guests, it does not others.

Jarrod, I am very pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and were well looked after by our team. Please rest assured, I have taken note of your comments and thank you once again for sharing this vital feedback with us.

I hope you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

My friend and I spent 3 nights at this hotel and were very impressed with everything. It isn't 5 star but we were not paying for that. The hotel is recently renovated so feels like new and the staff went out of their way to be helpful. When an iron didn't work a replacement was sent immediately. We enjoyed our breakfasts and had dinner at the hotel one night. The food was very good quality. Although there is a lot of building and road work happening because of the earthquake our room was quiet. We were on one of the top floors.

Room Tip: It may be noisy on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Carol J,

Thank you for sharing your most encouraging review with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Carol, I am very pleased to hear that you and your friend thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our newly renovated hotel and were well looked after by our team. I will share your comments with them as this will serve as encouragement to all our team members.

Thank you once again and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just arrived in NZ in February 2014 for our 3 week tour and had only one night here but we were extremely impressed with the service all round. From parking the car on arrival, our evening meal (which was very good), breakfast and on our departure the staff were so pleasant.

Great place to stay and would highly recommend it!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear sue56_11,

Thank you for your most encouraging comments and rating. It is truly a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We do have a fantastic team here and I am pleased to know that you enjoyed all our services thoroughly. I will ensure your comments are shared with our team, as this will act as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you once again for your recommendation and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.