“Life returns to the city..”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #18 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
birmingham
“Life returns to the city..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in Dec 2013 Drove to Chch from Nelson , fabulous drive , found my way to the Novotel easily without a GPS , the neon sign is hard to miss ! Free parking on a vacant site next door , friendly welcome , bar was shut late on a Friday but I was directed to a couple of nearby bars for a late beer after a long drive . There are lots of comments about the battered city centre , but compared to my last visit two years ago , when the whole centre was cordoned off , it was lovely to see life returning to the city - an excellent weekend craft market , the re Start mall , the museum open and busy and a few local bars full of people having a good time. My room was comfy , good bed , wifi included with a superior room , consistently helpful service in friendly NZ style . Went on a Christchurch rebuild tour from the museum which is highly recommended. I am confident central Christchurch will flourish again , and I hope to come back in a few years to see its mostly new centre . I admire the people of Christchurch for their courage through difficult times , and the Novotel is recommended

Room Tip: Wifi included with a superior room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear flatworm,

Thank you for your excellent comments and feedback. You are absolutely correct in saying the city has progressed immensely in the last 2 years and there are now several activities, restaurants and bars nearby.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we very much appreciate your continued support.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to our new city in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed New Years Eve and January 1st in the Novotel Christchurch, dead centre of the Red Zone literally, it was about the only building occupied. Makes it a challenge finding the correct roads on arrival. The hotel is modern and the rooms are lovely and spacious. There's a novel bathroom and vanity combination that works well for bathing but not so sure I want my tea mugs etc stored with the vanity basin, dosen't seem very hygenic. The hotel is easily within walking distance of the Avon, parks and sights and handy to shopping but a bit further to walk to the most popular restaurant areas, still it was only a $10 taxi ride. All the staff were very pleasant and friendly and helpful with advice for directions and recommendations to great restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Whakat1k1,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Christchurch. I am very pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be new and modern and our staff friendly.

As you have mentioned, our location is certainly unique and provides for great views of centre city.

Thank you again for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as it was in the heart of the city. Sadly noone told us there was no longer a city! We knew Christchurch had been hit by earthquakes but the city is still a ruins with very little to do in the heart of the city. I would have liked it if the hotel gave a map or guide as to what was around in the area for dining or sightseeing. Overall a great hotel and I would stay there again now I know a short cab drive or walk will get you places.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear catdog13,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am pleased to hear that you found us to be a great hotel. Christchurch is certainly in its rebuilding stage and we too are eagerly awaiting our new city to be completed.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not offered a map as we do certainly have these and offer them proactively to all our guests. I will ensure this is passed on to our team.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments with us. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

It is in the centre of town, but the view from the room was very sad sight as you can see all the empty lots of where there used to be buildings. We got a room with the cathedral view which was nice.
The staff are very friendly and helpful - there was an empty space next to the building which is quite handy if you are driving and it's free.
The superior room was big and spacious as well, which was handy as we stayed here for 8 nights.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear shirlz99,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your 8 night stay with us and found our rooms to be big and spacious. Our staff are truly our biggest asset and your comments certainly re-iterate this.

shirlz99, thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us. I do hope you visit us again in future.
Courtenay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Given the shock of seeing such destruction in the CBD and the subdued mood that it gave us, I found no problems with this hotel. It ticked nearly all the boxes. At the Cathedral Square open market we met a wonderful NZ lady that took us for a 3 hour tour of the city and neighboring towns. We found New Zealanders to be very pleasant and polite. The hotel staff were no exception. We ate at the Novotel Restaurant on our last night and would highly recommend it. The meals were magnificent. Hopefully the City will eventually be rebuilt. Ourselves living in an earthquake zone were very disturbed by what we saw.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Alan P,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we ticked all the boxes.

Christchurch is certainly on the bounce back and very popular with tourists. Your support is very much appreciated and we too are eagerly awaiting completion of the rebuild.

Thank you once again for staying with us. I certainly hope you will visit newly built Christchurch in future.
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Check in personnel were very kind, but that is pretty much the best asset to this hotel. It is located in the center, where many buildings still stand, but they are empty and spooky! Our room was immaculate, but so tiny and cramped. The view, for someone in New Zealand on their first day, was totally unnerving. A crumbling church, eery modern art statues, and vacant hotel buildings. There are no restaurants to speak of in the area-we walked quite far to find anything at all.
Breakfast was very nice, but the staff were cold and distant. It was just unwelcoming in general, and I feel terrible saying so. This is possibly one of my first negative reviews, but I just can't recommend staying here. It was too sterile for me!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HJR2011
Dear HJR2011,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. For this, please accept my apology.

As you may be aware, Christchurch did go through a devastating earthquake in 2011 and we are in the re-build stages of the recovery process. I do understand that you were inconvenienced by this, however, please rest assured our guests' comfort is our top priority.

I am appaled to hear that our breakfast staff came across as cold and distant and will certainly ensure this is followed up with the team. This is certainly not the standard we expect.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and giving us the opportunity to better serve you in future.
Nelson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed just overnight - good rooms, spacious and great views over a sad sight being the old Cathedral at the time. Very accommodating in the bar as we arrived late - so needed food was served. Would also look to stay here in Christchurch.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear MainlanderNelson,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your room, but also the great service provided by our team members.

Your continued support is very much appreciated and I certainly look forward to having you back with us soon.