“Refreshed and in the heart of Christchurch”

Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel
Ranked #18 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This property has recently reopened and is a welcomed addition to the city. We booked a special bed and breakfast deal. The rooms are a compact size but really if you aren't at the property to stay in all day. One unusual characteristic was the sink which overlooks the room and is sort of a kitchennette/bathroom sink in one.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The lady at the restaurant was happy to provide tips about where to go for lunch before we headed off to Hanmer Springs. Looking forward to our next trip back to this beautiful city.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason N
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Jason N,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. They are certainly an asset to us and I will share your comments with them.

We do receive mixed feedback regarding our bathroom and sink layout. I completely understand that while this may suit most traveller and couples it does not suit others.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us. I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Christchurch in the near future.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

After a day of travel the last thing you want to turn up to is a cup of crappy tea. The economy rated fair trade tea they like to serve all tastes the same. I asked the staff if any one had tried it they said no !!! Why have fantastic coffee in the room and the worst hotel tea in the world ?
The hotel and staff were lovely and the location perfect great to see Christchurch on the way back up.

Room Tip: Take your own tea if you value a good cuppa
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear thomas1972NZ ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that, you not only found our hotel to be well located, but also found our staff to be lovely and accommodating.

I am disappointed to hear that the Fair trade tea we use did not meet your expectations. We certainly should have been able to provide you with regular tea upon your request. Please accept my apology for this. I will ensure our staff are briefed to prevent a future occurance of this sort.

Thomas1972NZ, once again, thank you for sharing your comments with us and it is my hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed in the Novotel Christchurch for 2 nights on business. The staff are so friendly and it really makes a difference to one travelling. I was tired and hungry when I arrived and the check in staff were so welcoming. The porter offered to help me with my bags, with a lovely refreshing smile. I noticed that all the staff go the extra mile to make you feel welcome. The room I had as on the 13 th floor, the premier level. I was given a free upgrade and it was such a welcome " gift" . The room was well appointed, clean, beautifully decorated and the lighting was just perfect. I had room service on day 1 and ate in the restaurant on day 2. The meals were totally wonderful and good value for money. If I had to find anything wrong... It would be the bed and pillows. The bed was nice and comfy but it was like a mattress on a wood base and in the night it was very easy to walk into those sticky out wood corners... OUCH. But I got used to it and avoided them. The pillows were too hard for me, but I bet if I'd asked housekeeping, they would have gone and got me softer ones... So overall I'd give this hotel 10/10. I will always stay here when on business, it's so clean, quiet, friendly and has great rooms and restaurant. I could not want any more. It is in the middle of the earthquake ravaged centre but I felt like it as a new, fresh shoot, growing steadfast amongst the rebuild.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Lindsey F,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic comments with us. I am very pleased and proud to hear that you found us to be "Just Perfect". Your comments re-iterate the excellent work our staff carry out on a daily basis. They are indeed an asset to our organization and your excellent feedback certainly acts as encouragement to all of them.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to your perfect accommodation provider when you are next in Christchurch.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

To visit Christchurch central city is a very unique experience at the moment after the earthquakes. There isn't much going on in terms of restaurants, bars or shops but it's very eye-opening to wander around seeing the abandoned buildings and empty lots, random pieces of artwork, and the small shoots of normal city life re-appearing.

This hotel is one of the first to re-open and it's been nicely re-furbished. Everything is brand new so of course is very clean and modern. The double room was a little compact for two people (the rooms with just one bed probably feel a bit more spacious), beds were very comfortable. The gym is good. Parking is currently free in an empty space next to the hotel but not sure how long this will last, otherwise it's an expensive valet car park.

All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful and did their jobs efficiently and with enthusiasm. The location right next to the old cathedral is walk-able distance to the re:start container mall, quake city exhibition, the cardboard cathedral and the park.

We ate dinner in the restaurant and the food was excellent, well above what you might expect from a chain hotel restaurant. Our rate included buffet breakfast which was up to the Novotel standard and also included fresh eggs cooked to order.

My biggest gripe is the usual problem I have with Accor in Australia and NZ - in-room wifi is ridiculously expensive and this is the main reason I can't give it 5 stars - when a remote and expensive location like Mt Cook can offer it for half the price of a city hotel you know it's a bit of a rip-off!

But overall the room rate was good and I would definitely use this hotel again and it's good to see some hotels re-open in the city centre.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve T

Dear ringo_nz,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic comments with us. I am delighted to hear that you not only found our hotel to be clean and modern, but also thoroughy enjoyed your meals with us during your stay. Our staff are truly an asset to our hotel and your comments re-iterate the excellent job they do everyday.

We do receive comments regarding our internet pricing and as you mentioned, this is standard, not just with Accor, but most centre city hotels in the country.

I will certainly share your comments with the team, as I am sure this will serve as encouragement to all of them.

Thank you for your continued support and I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The hotel is close to everything. The Cathdral is just in the front of the hotel. The CBD shopping area and botonic garden is just a 10-minutes walk.The room is clean and spacial. The staff here is friendly~~~especially in the bar.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zhangxiang
Carl B, General Manager at Novotel Christchurch Cathedral Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear zhangxiang,

Thank you for your excellent comment. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, as I am certain this will act as encouragement to all of them.

I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were a couple and were really amazed at the standards maintained by the Hotel. Cleanliness was top notch, very friendly staff. The Best part is the Location, right at the centre of the town, walk to most of the attractions from here. The breakfast spread was too really good. Would highly recommend it to others too.

Room Tip: Would recommend choosing Mountain View rooms, rooms facing the other side of the town
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacob F

Dear Jacob F,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience at Novotel with us. Comments such as yours truly act as motivation to all our staff, in this trying environment.

I am very pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed the cleanliness and high standards we maintain, but also the level of service you were provided.

Jacob, I do hope you visit us again soon and very much appreciate your continued support.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I spent just one night in the new Novotel in Christchurch. The staff was enthusiastic and friendly. The room was very clean, with a view over the sad cathedral (damages by the earthquake).
If you want try the complementary coffee, please ask the right cups.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Stefano P,

Thank you sharing your comments with us. Our staff are truly an asset to us and we do recieve several compliments regarding our staff. I will certainly share your comments with our team.

We have recently changed the cups to match our new espresso machines in all executive rooms.

Thank you again for your constructive feedback. I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.