“I wish had a good experience like everyone else.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dux Dine

Dux Dine
Ranked #19 of 952 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Seafood, European, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Dux Dine is a reflection of the past but a move into the future. A contemporary feeling, with fresh local seafood and vegetarian delights, Dux Dine has plenty to offer. Our delicious New Zealand wines and Dux craft beers are certainly a crowd pleaser. Dux Dine is situated in a historic turn-of-the-century Villa that was originally the Station Masters House for the Riccarton Railway. The villa has been extensively but sympathetically reworked to provide a variety of spaces to be enjoyed whether it be an intimate candlelit dinner for two, a large group celebration at one of the huge Kauri tables, grabbing a morning coffee at the breakfast bar, enjoyi Dux Dine has many reminiscences of the iconic Dux de Lux yet new and fresh while remaining comfortably familiar. Many of the old favourites can be seen on the menu as well as exciting fresh new foods and ideas. Dux Dine offers many setting options, from relaxing in a lounge, formal table setting to sitting in our sun drenched court yard. Whether it be a small group, special lunch or dinner, corporate event, product launch or company celebration we can cater for your needs. As a company we are passionate about supporting the local businesses around us. The seafood served in the restaurant is frequently sourced from Akaroa, Stuart Island and the West and East Coast including Southern Glory Oysters. With the ever changing environment, Dux Dine is pleased to say that we are environmentally friendly. Coffee cups, take away containers, and menus are all recycled.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“I wish had a good experience like everyone else.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Looking at all the positive comments about this restaurant sounds great.

Shame mine wasn't pleasant at all. Besides a few things.

When I arrived to the restaurant, I wasn't greeted at all. Except looked at while waitress Lauren was drying glasses. It seemed like it was a more important job to dry them, instead of greet guests and seat them. When I looked at her with disbelief, it was then she walked over and took a menu to seat me.

Two guests walked in, she proceeded to ask me to "hang on" while she attended to the two that just came in. I don't know why she did that.

I was seated outside, in the worst position. I felt like she wanted me far away as possible to the restaurant. This was not acceptable, so I chose a seat myself.

Waitress Georgia came with my glass of water and to take my order. What a pleasant young girl. Attentive and reserved. She did help me discribe some of the menu items, however some menu items weren't discribed well.

The three dishes I ordered were;
Crumbed mushroom + Pesto Croquettes W smoked paprika aioli (Should be called Mushroom Croquettes with pesto and smoked paprika aioli. Croquettes are usually crumbed anyway, and the pesto is on the side, not in the croquettes itself.)

These were oily, heavy, and rich. I have no idea why they are on the entree menu. For one person to try to eat five peices of these croquettes, is impossible. When I say rich, I mean rich. I could only manage two of five, and that was pushing it. These should be moved to the side dishes on the menu. don't order this unless you have a group you can share with.

Polenta fries (They are actually chips - Fries are thin) - Unique, tasty and large portion. Could be for 2-4 people to share. The idea of this is fantastic. If you want something different than your usual potato chips, go for these. They are quite heavy in texture, if you eat too many, you'll feel sick.

Akaroa Salmon - baked crust of honey & pistachios, cous cous baby vege w bernaise foam. This dish had confusion written all over it . They used planko bread crumbs to bake this - Asian theme, there is no taste of honey and if they want to use 2 -3 crushed pistachios and make it sound like there was going to be more, so be it. Bok choi was used - another asian ingredient - this is what I mean with confusion. If you have baby carrots, beetroot and baby radish, why put bok choi in it? The flavours of this dish did not combine well.

When Georgia asked me how was the meal, I explained to her, everything was very heavy. The croquettes were sickly and shouldn't be on the entree menu, she said she would tell her manager. The croquettes were uneaten and money was down the drain, what a waste of my money. Nothing was done about it. No fuss, I ate, I paid, I experienced, I will tell my other foodie friends and I wont be back. I know other places where I can get my $60 worth of better service and food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank max_critic

• Thai first
Rolleston, New Zealand
“Top service + Bonus in Entertainment book”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was a great night from start to finish greeted by a nice waitress which took us to our table. This restuarant has only been open for about 3 months I think.
We ordered our entrees crumbed mushrooms with pesto yummy, fried calamari marinated in lime and lemon grass with chilli & ginger jam & our mains Akaroa Salmon one of the best I have tasted, others had pan fried Groper, Caesar Salad, and soup ,all well above expectations, The deserts were also very nice, would like to thank all the staff & especially Nathan the waiter who did an excellent job through out the night,

Bonus the restuarant is in the gold in the Entertaiment Book.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Barry and Mar... J
Christchurch
“Great new dining option in Christchurch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Initally didnt realise this was vegetarian/seafood restuarant when booking, but it was really fantastic! Good was amazing and the villa is beautiful. Love that they provide blankets for people outside in the courtyard. The only down thing was where we were sitting in the verandah, two of our group had full on sun right in their eyes for 1/2 hour while it set, maybe some kind of pull down shade could be used? Great service.

1 Thank ChristchurchTiadog
New Zealand
“Great food in lovely surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

This was our first visit to Dux Dine, previously Dux De Lux, since its relocation and what a wonderful experience. The restaurant is situated in a beautiful wooden villa and although looks relatively small from the outside, is very spacious and airy on entering, with numerous different dining areas. We loved the decoration and the fact that they had incorporated some of the original villa features into the new design. There was also a spacious outside dining area, perfect for a sunny lunchtime. Now to the food....delicious. Dux Dine is a seafood and vegetarian restaurant with a good choice of dishes. We started with the mushroom croquettes which were excellent and then had the fish which is served in various ways. Mine was pan fried in garlic, lemon and herb whilst my husband had the lime and coriander crusted option. Both came with polenta fries and salad. However they are happy to substitute potatoe fries if prefered. The fish melted in the mouth... Our friend had the caesar salad and pronounced it delicious. I would have loved to have sampled one of their deserts, but sadly we were full, so have promised ourselves that we will go back another time to try the desert menu. A special mention must go to the wonderful waitress we had. She was so enthusiatic about the food and was very friendly and efficient. Highly recommend.

1 Thank Kiwianatraveller
Christchurch
“Wonderful food and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Took a friend to Dux Dine for her birthday. I had eaten at the Dux de Lux at the Arts Centre many times and always enjoyed the food coupled with the great service. Dux Dine opened in November 2012 and is just a short walk from our home. Had been looking forward to checking out the new Dux and I was not disappointed. Still the same as the original Dux - friendly staff, great service and yummy food. My friend and I had the Akaroa Salmon main. Large piece of salmon on a cous cous base, perfectly cooked vegetables and a bernaise foam with a side salad. The restaurant was packed with diners when we visited - a testament to just how good the food is. There is a choice of places to eat - either inside, on the verandah or out in the beautiful garden. Looking forward to dining there again.

1 Thank PeterBorodin