“Cheap and cheerful”

Red Bowl Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #382 of 978 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have been to Red Bowl a few times, always with our kids. Fairly classic Chinese restaurant in a western setting, the usual western favourites cooked really well and well-priced, plus some more authentic dishes as well. Consistently good food and friendly service.

• Visited June 2013

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Shark Fin Soup on the Menu - Not Impressed!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Last night was the first time I had dined at this restaurant and would have no complaints if it wasnt for seeing Shark Fin soup on the menu. This fact alone will stop me returning and this is the only reason I have given it a 'terrible' rating. The service, atmosphere, food was all fine (nothing spectacular, pretty much what was expected) but I was so disappointed and rather horrified to see shark fin on the menu. The practice of collecting shark fin is barbaric, inhumane and totally unacceptable. It shouldnt be allowed in NZ, fullstop. If I hadnt been with others, I would have upped and left right away but sadly I couldnt. Until such time that they remove this item from the menu, I will not return and will tell my friends and family to similarly boycott this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Helen M
Singapore, Singapore
“Rice not clean, food too salty & indifferent staff. Avoid if you can!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Coming from a Chinese background where I have chinese food almost daily, the quality of food & service is not acceptable. Comparing with the Chinese food I have tasted in Singapore, Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne, the food served here is below par. Please let me explain. Rice is not properly washed & I have to remove lots of hard brown husk. Long beans, toufu & crispy chicken are too salty. Won't come again. Avoid if you can!

• Visited May 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Decent Chinese restaurant”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a decent and popular restaurant. We had five dishes for the six of us. I enjoyed the chilli chicken and squid, thought the vegetables were okay, but was not greatly taken by the beef. The won ton noodles were very popular. It was $88 for dinner which I thought was pretty good.

• Visited April 2013
“Fabulous Chinese”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We were offered tea right a way but had to ask for hot and sour soup as it was not on the menu but they had it. The dumplings were very good! Chicken with noodles again very good. This is my new Chinese Resturant in Christchurch. We will be back.

• Visited May 2013