“Great atmosphere & food”

Fiddlesticks Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #20 of 1,075 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sophisticated, sociable and relaxed, Fiddlesticks Bar & Restaurant is Christchurch's newest retreat. This distinctive centrally located restaurant and bar provides an inviting atmosphere in which to while away some time. Watch the street side activity while soaking up the ambiance in front of a roaring outdoor fire in our well sheltered courtyard, or join friends in one of the intimate dining spaces.Providing in-season, sensational local fare, the talented kitchen crew offer up a menu of beautifully cooked tasters and intriguing meals. Open from 8am for coffee and pastries, with a full menu served from 11am, or from 9am for brunch on weekends - Fiddlesticks is the perfect place to kick back and unwind in the heart of our city.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I went here firstly for an afternoon drink then decided to stay for dinner. Perfect atmosphere sitting in front of a fireplace, I asked for the venison pie which was on another menu and they gave me this with no fuss. Food was great, drinks and service as well. Would definately go back on my next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed September 30, 2013

From the starter course to the main course this dinner was one of the best we have had in our lives. If we would have had room we would have had desert. The breads were incredible, the salmon wings teased us for a salmon dish. The beef tenderloin filet was the best beef we experienced in New Zealand and Australia on this trip. The lamb dish was the most perfect.
This restaurant was heads above any we have ever been at. The service? Thank you Briar, you were excellent.

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Dinned here on 2 separate occasions, im travelling on my own. No problem with a table for one which isnt always the case, staff were friendly and the food was excellent!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I are on holiday in Christchurch for 4 days and decided to go to 'Fiddlesticks' for Saturday lunch. Restaurant was about 2/3rds full with a number of empty tables. After sitting down and waiting, waiting, waiting... we walked out due to being ignored by the restaurant staff.
We went to another restaurant where we were greated and given menus etc and enjoyed lunch
A professional service standard shown by staff would be a good start for 'Fiddlesticks'

Shaun H, Manager at Fiddlesticks Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Whether good or bad it helps us to maintain our high standards throughout the business.

Our staff were very upset to hear you had left the restaurant due to no-one welcoming you on arrival or attending to your table. We sincerely apologise for this.

We would really appreciate if you could advise us roughly the time you came in and whereabouts you sat at Fiddlesticks - this is so we can look into it further to ensure it doesn't happen again.

If you still have time while in Christchurch we would love for you to visit Fiddlesticks again and experience our wonderful service and food.

Regards
Management

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We called by on a Monday night and were quite surprised to find the restaurant full. We enquired for a table and fortunately there had been a no-show so we had their table. The staff were very busy and I think they were overwhelmed by the demand. I ordered from the specials board, Swordfish with kale and tomatoes, after seeing it served on the next table. It was a long time before we were served our meals. What arrived was unlike swordfish I've had before; I've always had it as a steak but these were thin fillets like blue cod. The accompanying vegetables were broccoli and french beans, a bit of a disappointment. If they couldn't provide my order then it would have been good service for them to explain the problem but I was too hungry to ask why.
The manager had already apologised for the delay and offered us a complimentary dessert as compensation.
Overall, probably a good restaurant but I think were we there on a bad night which was not typical. After all, if it wasn't good why was it so busy on a Monday night?