“Modern, IKEA rooms”

Southwark Apartments
Reviewed March 30, 2014

It's right in the middle of the city, but because we arrived during a huge rain storm that flooded large swaths of the city, we decided to stay indoors. But we were happy to because the rooms were very clean and modern. It reminded us of IKEA - good use of space with an open feeling in the room. We were able to do our laundry here, which was nice. Because it was raining so hard, we ordered take-out (they called it carry-outs), and the hotel conveniently gave a list of those in each room. For those with cars, either reserve parking (which is limited), pay a small fee at an adjacent lot, or find free parking on the same side of the street as the hotel. The staff was very friendly if you have any questions, and we would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Southwark Apartments

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed only one night, but were very surprised at the size of the apartment. It had a mezzanine floor with two single beds, and a large separate bedroom with a very comfortable bed. In addition, there were two bathrooms, free laundry facilities, and a well equipped kitchen. All for a bargain price of £100! The lounge had two big squashy sofas, and we found the staff to be most helpful, as Emirates had lost my luggage, and they allowed us to use their phone for local calls.
It's a 15 minute walk into the centre, and has a few shops, cafes nearby.

Room Tip: We had room 2, on the first floor, and although it had a view of the back car-park, it was very quie...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Great room was small but nicely appointed and clean, would love to make this my go to hotel to stay in except the mattress was SO hard I struggled to get any sleep, such a shame cos otherwise great stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Danice H
Gabrielle S, Manager at Southwark Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Hi Danice,

We are very sorry to hear about your uncomfortable sleep.

Can you please let me know which room you stayed in so that we can find a solution for the hard mattress.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our room was very small, but it had everything we needed for our stay. Small bathroom with shower. Small kitchen area. Bed is side ways at end of room with window on the far side and walls on either side, so only on side to get on an off. If you have to get up in the middle of the night and are on the far side, you have to carefully crawl over the other person! Also, the tv is on the wall at the foot of the bed- you have to lay in bed to watch tv!

There is a supermarket two blocks away and several decent restaurants also nearby.

It is well located. We walked to the main park and flower gardens. Closer is the cardboard cathedral and the container mall. The city center and old cathedral are also nearby. This area was very hard hit by the earthquake and much is torn down- many empty lots, much construction, and more being torn down. It is a huge rebuilding project.

Only note about room- like many in NZ, NO air conditioning. If you are only there early am and back after 6ish, you are fine with the window open. However, if you plan to lounge around during the day, it will probably be hot, even with the window open.

Room Tip: Try to get above the ground floor- more privacy with the large window by the bed and easier to keep...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I was in Christchurch seeing my sick father. On my last day I got harassed by a staff member to finalise my account. I still had one night to go. Upon arrival back to my unit on the 17th of February 2014 my keys got cancelled. It was like I felt as though they thought I was going to run off with out paying. So after spending the day with my sick father I returned back to the apartment at 5pm to realize I could not get into my unit. So I had to run down stairs to get a new set up of keys with that new set of keys was an eftpos machine. I booked these apartments in strict happiness. Left to come back to Hamilton in complete sadness.

Room Tip: travellers there is a huge amount of road noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Christopher Ray... S

Hi Christopher,

Our policy which is standard in the industry, is to authorise guests costs against their credit card on the booking. This allows for the convenience of payment on check out. Your Credit Card dishonoured because of insufficent funds on booking so we did not have this option, and despite several requests for you to contact us you did not do so.

As I explained to you, your key cards were not cancelled because of that it was because you made two seperate bookings therefore the system automatically cancels key cards when a guest on the system is checking out.

I am sorry you feel harrased but as you can understand there was no security over the room.

Regards,

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I booked these apartments as an overnight stop only and expected the rooms to be tiny. They were small but excellently designed with space saving in mind and very nice décor. We had a very comfortable night and would recommend this for a short stay as it is very central, has on street parking, a short walk to whats left of the CBD, and all facilities needed. Wifi code (though ours didn't work), big TV, and all the other things you'd expect. You can easily pay a lot more due to the shortage of hotels and this is an absolute bargain at around $115.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your review.

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay apart from the internet code not working, I will be looking into this.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed February 15, 2014

First off I'll just mention if you've just flown into Christchurch DON'T get a taxi they are overpriced instead get a shuttle bus $15 for 2 people and drop at the door. Any way a budget style accommodation shared kitchen and rather cramped rooms, But very clean and had all you needed but I wouldn't want to stay for too long.Had three nights here before moving on. Location is very good close to town and easy walking to all sites and sounds. Good restaurants and takeaways close to hand, there is also a supermarket just down the block too. We found it a little noisy at night you could here the other guests in their rooms and noise from outside was quite annoying too.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple