“How did I not know about this place?”
Review of Cortado Restaurant

Cortado Restaurant
Ranked #228 of 1,075 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Cortado Christchurch! Cortado serves up cafe-style brunch/lunch on weekends and a sumptuous a-la-carte dinner menu in the evenings. Our Tapas menu is available at all times. Cortado coffee is a speciality, and on the menu, you'll find seafood and fresh fish, mouth watering Tapas and our popular Italian Style Pizzas. You can also enjoy several rather unique cocktails, including the popular "Green Hornet" cocktail! Friendly staff aim to provide you with good service in a relaxed, stylish atmosphere. You can enjoy Macs Beer, Marlborough Wines, or a range of fine spirits and whiskeys. Parking is located at 142 Somerfield St, behind Mark Herring Lighting. No surcharge on public holidays, EVER!
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I had actually planned to go somewhere else for lunch, but it was closed, and this place looked nice, so in I went. I was warmly welcomed by the waitress behind the counter before I had even opened the door fully. She was the only waitress there. She was attentive and friendly. The place began filling up while I was there, and she was fantastic. She was attentive and friendly, without being intruding, to everyone.
The food was fantastic. I had the fish & chips. The chips were perfect - crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, the fish was lovely, with an awesome batter. My only complaint was the dressing on the salad was a little oily, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch.
The icing on the cake was finding out about their loyalty card. I signed up and I will be back

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Been coming here for a while now, and every time we dine here, we really enjoy the food. We usually order the Tapas dishes, which are all excellent and good value for money, as you do get plenty on your plate. The squid in particular is one of my favourites and is the best squid i have tasted anywhere, as its cut into strips and not rings like most places.

The atmosphere here is also very good, along with the wait staff, who are very efficient, especially the manager Jude.

We have also eaten here for brunch, and enjoyed the big breakfast very much, really good value for money.

There is a nice seating area outside now and large double doors leading into the restaurant, perfect on a nice summers day.

They have a loyalty card scheme, which is really worth having, as its gives you a 10% discount off your total bill.

My only negative comment really is the main menu, it is not a huge choice, so if you are a regular here, you would tire of the menu. Maybe some more specials would be a good idea to give diners a varied choice.

We look forward to our next visit.

2  Thank Louise_H46H
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Went for dinner on Saturday night after making a last minute booking ( no hassle). The service from all staff was great even though they were fairly busy. The cocktail menu is very good with different ones from your usual fare. Very expertly made, reasonably priced ( about $4 cheaper than other restaurants around christchurch) and very tasty. We had 6 different ones between our group and they were all good. They do Tapas and regular mains/deserts. Tapas is all very lovely, and again more reasonably proced than some other venues. The coconut prawns and buttermilk chicken are 2 of my favourites. Had the Chicken main and a mixed grill platter, both perfect. The chicken was some of the most perfectly cooked i have had in a restaurant.

Staff had just the right mix of friendly and helpful - but not overbearing.

Great experience and I have recommended to many friends already

1  Thank goberly
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The shared plate was bland, fatty, and the steak was tough. Chips did not add to the value of the meal for what is a premium price.
Only the sausages were OK, but not great.
Not recommended

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We have been here for brunch twice now and think the food is lovely and the staff friendly. We live locally and will be back again in the future for more brunches too. My wife is particularly taken by the eggs benedict, normally a good sign that the kitchen knows what they are doing.