“FANTASTIC FOOD!”

Gorilla
Cuisines: Barbecue, New Zealand
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The home of the CharCo (charcoal tacos). Fabulous beers on tap. Good, Simple, Local.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We purchased a Grab One coupon for Gor:lla, although we planned on visiting long beforehand. My only complaint is that booking was a nightmare. Only a certain amount of Grab One tables could be booked per night (I guess), and it took three tries to even get a reservation ahead of time. I also wish the staff had been a bit more friendly/helpful. I felt like since we had a coupon, we were second class.

HOWEVER...

The food is what matters when eating out, and the food was fantastic. We had the lamb appetizer, which looked a little bit like tater-tots, but tasted like heaven! The "charcos" are divine, seriously couldn't decide if the Huevos Rancheros or the Pulled Pork was tastier. A whole grilled flounder was my main dish, and it was super easy to peel off the skin and eat, yum! Lastly, the hubby had steak, and it was fantastic.

The wine was also great, and the list looked pretty good. The service left a bit to be desired, but we went for the food! Yum!

1  Thank KFellers

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I'd been wanting to eat here a while, and a Grab One coupon prompting me to get along and sample it. We loved the food, the Charco's are lovely - especially the Philly Cheese one. Basically everything we ate was delicious and can't wait to head back. You can tell that some meats are well marinated by the strong flavorsome taste.
I suggest you go try it out :-)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Had a great evening here the atmosphere was great and the food was excellent and so tasty.,..that combined with the lovely wine. Just a great gourmet experience. The service was great and also funny. Thanks Gorilla Bar!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Went to Gorilla tonight. Really enjoyed it. The menu was not what we expected. We had a pork hock to share in a delicious sauce. We also had a warm beetroot salad with goats cheese and almonds, roast potatoes and a rocket and pear salad.(yum)
This meal was delicious and satisfying, however the friendly service from the Welsh waitress made a really great experience. She is a really enthusiastic, friendly girl. Would definitely go back again.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Before the Big Shake, you'd never even consider driving half-way down Ferry Road for a meal, but things have changed since I was last in Christchurch (Christmas 2010).
Besides a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, we shared a number of very tasty dishes, all very well presented and totally delicious. Very friendly and attentive service (although it WAS a very quiet evening). Excellent value for money, too!