“Very nice .. would happily stay here again”

Sherborne Motor Lodge
Ranked #71 of 144 Hotels in Christchurch
Tucson, Arizona
“Very nice .. would happily stay here again”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Clean, quiet, and comfortable room. Attractive decor. Good location especially considering what Christchurch has been through. Free off-street parking! Not the cheapest hotel we stayed at on our trip, but all accommodation in Christchurch is expensive now ... in my opinion Sherborne Motor Lodge was worth the price. I also loved that we were only charged when we arrived, with no stupid bond placed on our credit card either.

We got a studio ... and it was plenty big enough for two people. We found the kitchenette to be compact and well-supplied with hotplates, a microwave, a refrigerator, and all the crockery, cutlery, and utensils one could need.

I do agree with the reviewer who advised using the softer pillows in the closet. Those on the bed are high and very firm ... more like bolsters than pillows. My spouse likes a very firm pillow and he was fine with them. Mattress was fine.

Most impressive was the free 100 MB of wi-fi offered. Be warned that New Zealand is notorious for poor to non-existent internet service ... so to get 100 MB free when other hotels charge a fortune for wi-fi was a very pleasant surprise. I see that another reviewer had trouble connecting but I did not ... my Android phone connected fine. Staff were very friendly, efficient and very kind. We would happily stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank USTravelerBAS
Linda P, Owner at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thanks very much for your kind words. We try hard, here at Sherborne Motor Lodge,to give our guests the best experience we can. It's nice to know we get it right sometimes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
australia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The motel has clean rooms with a lot of room. The shower pressure was pretty low but not the end of the world.
The main problem I had was the location of the motel as it was a fair walk to restaurant precinct and and other things to do. I would have rathered stayed close to town or on Bealey street if I had my time over again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank towner29
Malcolm G, Owner at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
What can I say? Other reviews have said we are just the right distance to town and others have us too close. It takes about twenty minutes to walk to the city centre and there is a bus service with a stop one hundred metres away. Our buses are as clean and comfortable as any anywhere in the world.
Mentor
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was the first place we stayed on arrival in New Zealand from Ohio in the USA, so we were totally exhausted after the long trip and happy to arrive at the hotel. Initially we were pleased with the appearance of the room--very clean, nice decor. The hosts were nice, the grounds well kept, parking was adequate, the location was within walking distance to a few places to eat and buy groceries and near the city center. The problems we had were the kind that are not immediately noticeable. The first thing we wanted to do was take a shower after traveling on 3 different planes for 24+ hours. We discovered that the bathroom had a drainage problem in both the sink and the shower--in fact, we had to keep turning off the water while in the shower to prevent it from overflowing into the room. The sink was very tiny so it also filled up fast due to the slow drain. There was no flat edge to the sink and very little shelf space, therefore no place to put things needed in the bathroom--even the floor space was limited because the bathroom was small. There was no hook on the bathroom door to hang clothing--the only hooks found were on the towel bar but these were small and awkwardly located next to the toilet. The next thing we really needed was a good long sleep. Unfortunately, the mattress was one of the worst I've slept upon--lumpy (could feel the coils), saggy, edges were corded and mattress seemed thin and cheap--and the pillows seemed as high and rock hard as a mountain. We did discover other pillows in the closet the next morning but by then it was too late and we were too exhausted the day before to even think of looking for more pillows. The room was also very hot. In spite of these problems, for some odd reason we believe we would stay here again--we would just maybe ask for a different room. The hotel has a new owner who had only bought it a couple weeks before our stay and I believe he will improve this place as able.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi
I'm sorry this response has taken a while. We still have a lot to learn and how to deal with Trip Advisor responses is another step along the way. Thank you for your positive criticism of our motel. I have taken your comments on board and will endeavor to act on them where practicable. A shelf in the bathroom and some hooks will be easy. We could put the soft pillows on the bed and the hard ones in the closet and the next guest will complain about too soft pillows. We can't please everybody. We appreciate that the rooms get warm in summer and we could air-condition all the rooms but a cost-benefit analysis would show that it would be a waste of money in a temperate climate where air con might improve things three or four days a year - and would our guests really want to pay an extra $10-20 each night to cover the cost?
Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Since the quakes of 2010 and 2011 the downtown is essentially dead, so you need to go elsewhere for food and entertainment. This 10 unit motel is close to downtown but also just a few minutes walk away from a supermarket and a small selection of restaurants.
The beds were comfortable, but use the softer pillows in the closet. The kitchen was well-equipped with basic dishes and utensils; the bathroom was large and had a great double shower with terrific water pressure and lots of hot water. The service was friendly and efficient; the place is kept very clean.
I wished that my iPhone would connect to the free wifi (I think it was my problem, not the hotel's but I never really figured that out). In any case they offered free use of the shared computer in the Reception area - so everything worked out just fine.
Tip: If you need a ride to and from the Christchurch airport call "Steve" (unrelated to the hotel, but his card was in the office) at 0800 101021. He charges less than SuperShuttle

Room Tip: I really liked the upper level room with an opening skylight, but it means navigating a flight of st...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ccvvbb
Thank you for your positive comments. Christchurch is something of a blank canvas at the moment and, even with the changes the earthquakes have brought, it is still a very interesting place to visit. It is an exciting time here, seeing what will happen to the cityscape.
Fordingbridge
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My single room was upstairs which was very inconvenient as I had two bags and the stairs were steep . Arrangements to get the early train the following morning were non-existent. It should have been possible to be picked up but that didn't happen. The telephone wasn't working. My train was at 7 o'clock and I needed to be there at 06.30 because of the bags. I did get woken early but only as a favour.
Nowhere to eat that was near. On my own I did not want to walk about at night. So I took a taxi to The Chateau on the Park where I had an excellent meal and where they helped me arrange a taxi for the morning. Had I been staying there there would have been a free hotel bus.
Next morning stress levels became very high as the taxi failed to materialise. I had to wake the proprietor who came down in his pyjamas and made a phone call. Seems the taxi had gone to the wrong hotel. Anyway finally it turned up and I did get my train to Pickton and then the ferry to Wellington. But my stress levels had been far too high .The facilities here were wholly inadequate. I really did have to catch the train .

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Floritza
Linda P, Owner at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Firstly may I offer my deepest apologies for the time it has taken to respond. My partner and I bought Sherborne Motor Lodge in mid-January and a month later (when this guest stayed) we still had much to learn. Dealing with Trip Adviser is just one more step along the way.
I could tell this guest had booked in to the wrong place before she even got to the office door. Five star hotels that do EVERYTHING for you (including providing "free" buses) cost a lot more than motels. We would've been quite happy to provide a downstairs room had the guest specified it at the time of booking but unfortunately when she arrived, all the other guests had already arrived and it was impossible to make the change.All of our telephones do work - and did at the time.The fact that the taxi this guest ordered went to the wrong hotel is hardly our fault. I do apologise for appearing in my pygamas but I understood time was of the essence so I didn't spend half an hour showering, shaving and looking for my top hat and tails before attempting to find out what the problem was. Of course this guest not knowing which taxi firm she'd ordered didn't help any.
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Booked via Booking.com through whom we must have booked at least fifty rooms in last year. Booking.com guarantee cheapest room yet here as I've seen elsewhere the rate we booked at was $10 more than walk in rate. We were given the lower rate.
Through b.com you reserve room via card and usually, not always, charged on arrival or departure. No show and you are charged, quite rightly. As the card is in the booking system I avoid writing card details on a form because card fraud is huge and caused us terrible hassles last year.
Booked for two nights and on arrival they charged one night. Shortly after host male came to room saying he needed the second night so I went down and paid. A little later he was back asking for credit card number on form and he ultimately and reluctantly accepted my reason for refusal.
Internet is free for 100 mb of usage only. We had masses of mobile data on our devices unused but 3G reception there is bad so one phone logged on. We then got a call from reception man alerting us that Internet costs had risen to $58! No idea why as only very modest usage so have to assume their metering correct and the phone conducted updates or something. Next thing woman host at door at 9.30 pm asking for card number on form. I refused and offered prepayment. Still not happy so I offered cash bond. Still not pleased in case we did a runner taking stuff so I suggested she have my car key! She asked if I was being sarcastic but no just trying to satisfy her. Thereupon she said she'd trust me.
During this exchange her cat came into the room and scampered under the bed and further interruption to our dinner whilst she tried to coax it out. Being extremely irritated by now I expressed the hope it didn't exit my side otherwise it would get kicked over the balcony. To this she said I would then get ' irristed' for animal cruelty!
The place is usual motel offering. Christchurch rooms in short supply. Stay there if stuck otherwise give your businesss to others more deserving.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank ProblemPage
Hi On Feb 20th we had owned the Sherborne Motor Lodge business for about five weeks and we (mostly me) made a lot of mistakes. In Problem Page's case I forgot to record his credit card details and to check the number of nights he was staying before charging his card. Obviously I sought to correct my mistakes.
The previous owner allowed 100mb free internet usage per stay and then charged an outrageous amount after that - and then offered a significant discount to anyone who complained. After a short period of changing nothing, we now offer 100mb per day free and an industry standard 2c per mb after that.
Yes, we do understand Problem Page's frustration but we can't excuse his intimidating attitude, his foul language or his threats - very little of which he mentioned in his review.
I do apologise for the time it has taken me to respond to this review. There's a lot to learn in this industry and dealing with Trip Adviser is one more of a great many steps.
If Problem Page were to stay here again, he would find that we have a much better grasp of how to give our guests the experience they expect.
Malcolm (co-owner)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Sherborne Lodge is fairly central and was especially convenient for us as we were flying out the next day and it's very quick and easy to get to the airport. Rooms are comfortable and offer all the usual facilities. Ours was upstairs and the stairs are a little narrow with a heavy case.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonnyG47
Malcolm G, Owner at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
My partner Linda and I bought the Sherborne Motor Lodge business on 16/01/2013. We believe that posting a response to reviews shows potential customers that we are interested in our guests' opinions (and we have acted on fair criticisms that are within our power to change).
This review was the last one under the tenure of the previous management.