“Spoilt by ungenerous hosts”

Sherborne Motor Lodge
Ranked #62 of 146 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Booked via Booking.com through whom we must have booked at least fifty rooms in last year. Booking.com guarantee cheapest room yet here as I've seen elsewhere the rate we booked at was $10 more than walk in rate. We were given the lower rate.
Through b.com you reserve room via card and usually, not always, charged on arrival or departure. No show and you are charged, quite rightly. As the card is in the booking system I avoid writing card details on a form because card fraud is huge and caused us terrible hassles last year.
Booked for two nights and on arrival they charged one night. Shortly after host male came to room saying he needed the second night so I went down and paid. A little later he was back asking for credit card number on form and he ultimately and reluctantly accepted my reason for refusal.
Internet is free for 100 mb of usage only. We had masses of mobile data on our devices unused but 3G reception there is bad so one phone logged on. We then got a call from reception man alerting us that Internet costs had risen to $58! No idea why as only very modest usage so have to assume their metering correct and the phone conducted updates or something. Next thing woman host at door at 9.30 pm asking for card number on form. I refused and offered prepayment. Still not happy so I offered cash bond. Still not pleased in case we did a runner taking stuff so I suggested she have my car key! She asked if I was being sarcastic but no just trying to satisfy her. Thereupon she said she'd trust me.
During this exchange her cat came into the room and scampered under the bed and further interruption to our dinner whilst she tried to coax it out. Being extremely irritated by now I expressed the hope it didn't exit my side otherwise it would get kicked over the balcony. To this she said I would then get ' irristed' for animal cruelty!
The place is usual motel offering. Christchurch rooms in short supply. Stay there if stuck otherwise give your businesss to others more deserving.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ProblemPage
Linda P, Owner at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Hi On Feb 20th we had owned the Sherborne Motor Lodge business for about five weeks and we (mostly me) made a lot of mistakes. In Problem Page's case I forgot to record his credit card details and to check the number of nights he was staying before charging his card. Obviously I sought to correct my mistakes.
The previous owner allowed 100mb free internet usage per stay and then charged an outrageous amount after that - and then offered a significant discount to anyone who complained. After a short period of changing nothing, we now offer 100mb per day free and an industry standard 2c per mb after that.
Yes, we do understand Problem Page's frustration but we can't excuse his intimidating attitude, his foul language or his threats - very little of which he mentioned in his review.
I do apologise for the time it has taken me to respond to this review. There's a lot to learn in this industry and dealing with Trip Adviser is one more of a great many steps.
If Problem Page were to stay here again, he would find that we have a much better grasp of how to give our guests the experience they expect.
Malcolm (co-owner)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Sherborne Lodge is fairly central and was especially convenient for us as we were flying out the next day and it's very quick and easy to get to the airport. Rooms are comfortable and offer all the usual facilities. Ours was upstairs and the stairs are a little narrow with a heavy case.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonnyG47
Malcolm G, Owner at Sherborne Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

My partner Linda and I bought the Sherborne Motor Lodge business on 16/01/2013. We believe that posting a response to reviews shows potential customers that we are interested in our guests' opinions (and we have acted on fair criticisms that are within our power to change).
This review was the last one under the tenure of the previous management.

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Internet limited to 100mb only bit it wasn't know till check in time
Free milk in fridge
Microwave oven and kitchenette provided. Wine glasses. Toaster. Etc
Free parking
Good base for trips to New Brighton towards the East
Supermarket within walking distance
Spacious room
Tv channels limited to local channels

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank WildyWee
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was our first stop in NZ and upon arrival we were greeted by the owner who was very informative. Straight away he could tell we had just got married by our shiny wedding rings. We got to the room and it was very spacious with all the amenities for a self catering apartment. Parking was free and the wifi was complimentary but we did have a download limit of 100mb. We did use it alot and on check out we had a bill of $20 however he split that by 50% which I thought was a great gesture. I would definately recommend this lodge to anyone thinking of visiting Christchurch. It was disappointing that the earthquake hit the city 18 months ago as we found very little to do because the city was sectioned off to the public.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Sherborne Motor Lodge on two occasions in October, as part of our 12 day tour of South Island. Our first stay was 2 night’s (1st & 2nd October). Having flown straight through from London via Singapore and Sydney, we were quite tired when we arrived. We received a nice welcome from the owner (Craig), who was very helpful, and let us know where the nearest local supermarket and restaurants were. Everything is situated within an easy five minute walk. There are a couple of restaurant’s, a good supermarket and a great little fish ‘n’ chip shop.
Our ground floor Studio Unit (No.1) was excellent! It was very clean and spacious, with a good range of kitchenette & bathroom facilities, and a comfortable Super King-size bed. We really couldn’t have asked for any better following our long journey, and had an excellent first night’s rest.
We were up early the following morning to go whale watching in Kaikoura. We were booked on the Kiwi Rail Transcoastal service, and Craig had arranged for us to be collected from the hotel by a free minibus service that takes you to the railway station. When you return there is a minibus service available from the station back to your hotel. There is a small charge, but it is not expensive considering how well you are looked after.. We were asking our driver about the earthquake, and he took several of us on a quick tour, as close to the Red Zone area as he could, and explained about what had happened, and showed us some of the buildings that had been damaged.
The following morning, after a second night’s comfortable stay we headed to the airport to hire our car and start our journey around South Island...
We returned again for one night's stay on 11th October before flying to Australia. Once again, a great welcome, another lovely room (No.3), and another good night’s sleep before heading off to the airport.
“Thank’s Craig for everything! We had a lovely stay and couldn’t ask for any better”... Cheer's Rick & Kathryn

Room Tip: Both rooms we stayed in were very comfortable and to a high standard.