“Will stay again!”

The Grange Guesthouse & Motel
Ranked #1 of 135 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed in the motel. We had a super comfortable bed and the unit was lovely and clean. We came to Christchurch to the World Buskers Festival at Hagley Park and the location was perfect. We will staying here again next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrangeGuesthouse, Manager at The Grange Guesthouse & Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hi Julie S.

Thank you for taking a few minutes posting this great review for us!

Hope to see you again!

Eva.

There are newer reviews for The Grange Guesthouse & Motel

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was my first trip to New Zealand and I wanted to stay at a B & B in Christchurch before I continued on my travels south. I was booked for 4 nights in the main house, not in the motel and I had a very spacious room with a sitting area and a little balcony that faced the street. The room was extremely comfortable with lovely furniture and a small but very adequate bathroom. When I arrived on a Sunday in the early afternoon I was met by Des at the front desk and after I registered he gave me a map of the city and suggested that I stop at the Visitor Center in Hagley Park right near the Botanical Garden to get some more information about Christchurch and also to book some tours which the Center could do. He also gave me the names of a few restaurants that were close by to The Grange.
I had arranged several tours with the Visitors Center which seemed to be leaving much earlier than the stated time for Breakfast but Des was always up and ready to make a complete meal for
me even though it was earlier than usual. Des was always gracious and interested and would ask about the tour I'd be taking that day. One morning I was a bit concerned since the bus to pick me up for the tour was late but Des reassured me, it seems as though there are different road closures due to the earthquake and so sometimes the buses have to take circuitous routes.
It was a pleasure to stay at The Grange and a wonderful introduction to the hospitality of Kiwis.
If my journeys ever take me back to Christchurch I would not hesitate to stay there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
TheGrangeGuesthouse, Manager at The Grange Guesthouse & Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear judytraveller,

Thank you for posting this great review online for us.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay while here at The Grange and that you found lots to keep you occupied during your time in Christchurch.

Wishing you safe travels and hope to see you again some time.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Yes, as I have stated above, the generous motel accommodation alleged is not that so, one still pays a pretty penny to stay there but there is a kitchenette/living room, not with the comfiest couches imaginable but clean, satisfactory. The bedroom is fine, shaded as it is at the back but comfy enough. The shower cubicle is in a "room" on its own (more of a cupboard), and has a cubicle topper, which insulates heat so the room becomes a sweatbox. Finally to the WC: I have never encountered a more dimensionally challeged WC. The biggest wrongdoing was the tap, which was overly large for the pithy sink size, whereby water covered the floor everytime the sink was used, except when grave caution was used. All in paid $300 for 3 nights stay, so could've been worse, it's in a good spot but for me I think the units are a little on the small side. 6 such back units in total each commanding $150 per night is quite an earner for such a small amount of space. 5/10 my total

Room Tip: Book in advance, aim for an inside room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judy S
TheGrangeGuesthouse, Manager at The Grange Guesthouse & Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Judy S,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate that you have posted a review for future travelers to read, but also are a little shocked at some of the points that you have mentioned.

Had we have known that you felt so unsatisfied with your room, you could have spoken with us and we could have moved you (depending on availability!) to one of our upstairs Studio Units, which have bathrooms with shower, toilet and basin all in one, or even moved you into the main Guesthouse. We are saddened to have to read of your complaints first hand online, rather than you approaching us during your stay.

The prices that we charge are, we believe (and have not had a complaint before) are very reasonable. We are the closest Motel to the city center now and after all the unrest in the city - and lack of accommodation, we have not increased our prices, like so many others have done.

You will be pleased to know that this coming May/June, we are actually remodeling all the bottom units (the 4x 1 Bedroom Units) and these will be all fitted out with new, top of the range bathrooms, guaranteed to be spacious and very comfortable. The 'cubicle topper' that you mention is designed to keep the steam in the shower, which is very good for steam cleansing your skin and serves a kind of 'sauna-like' purpose....sorry that you found this uncomfortable.

Just to clarify for other readers, we have 8 Units in total in the Motel, 4x 1 Bedroom and 4x Studio. The Studio Units are $145 per night (double) and the 1 Bedroom Units are $155 per night (double).

We would love to have you come back and stay, maybe you can keep a look out on our website after June/July for new pictures of our freshly decorated and remodeled units and if you like the look of them, then it would be great to have you back with us - I’m sure they will raise the score a bit from the 5 that you have given this time round! :-)

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the Grange and found the self contained accommodation to be of a very good standard, clean, tidy and situated in a good central position to access the 'I'Centre', Pop up Mall and Hyde Park. Unfortunately, as a result of the earthquakes, the one bustling city centre is now extremely quiet with the choice of bars and restaurants somewhat limited. However, The Grange is within a short walking distance to some nice restaurants - The Coffee House being one we would highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dingbat
TheGrangeGuesthouse, Manager at The Grange Guesthouse & Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hi 'dingbat',

Thank you so much for your review.

Both Des and I are happy to hear your feedback and we will also pass it on further to our wonderful room attendants.

We are fortunate to be centrally located and glad that most of your needs were met while staying with us. Indeed the once bustling city is a lot quiter than it used to be, but it is nice to see new restaurants opening up every other month, which is also very exciting!

Hopefully we will see you again and wish you all the best on your travels.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed in a motel room which was very comfortable, nicely decorated and very clean. The Grange is in an excellent location to walk to restaurants, coffee shops and the gardens. The hosts are gracious, hospitable, knowledgable and friendly. Definitely a great place to stay in Christchurch.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M C

Dear MC,

Thanks so much for your review.

It is always nice to hear that our Guests are satisfied with what we are doing here! We hope to see you again soon.

Many Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and everything about the place was simply outstanding. Located at a prime part of Christchurch, the property is at walking distance to most local attractions. And the host Des was a very warm, hospitable and helpful friend. He always keeps the interests of the guest's well being above any other commercial interests. We wished we could have stayed for a few more days if time permitted. We would boldly recommend the place to anybody.

Haroon & Farzana

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGrangeGuesthouse, Manager at The Grange Guesthouse & Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Haroon & Farzana,

Thank you kindly for posting this lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I wish I were here to meet you, but hearing your feedback that Des warmly welcomed you into The Grange and that you felt comfortable here affirms for me that you really enjoyed your stay.

We do hope that the rest of your trip is as positive as your stay here has been.

Hopefully we will have you stay again one day.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have stayed at the Grange several times over last 8 years. I can highly recommend it. Des and his staff are great hosts, breakfast is excellent. The location is ideal, just a few minutes walk from downtown.

Stayed: January 2012
TheGrangeGuesthouse, Owner at The Grange Guesthouse & Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Hi Tudor,

Thanks for your review.

Appreciate you posting online and hope that we see you again soon when Christchurch is up and running again!

Regards, Des